Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · What is VR really for?

ACNYPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What is VR really for?

Airspeed wrote:
I am looking for 2.8 glass because I am almost always shooting moving targets in poor light with no flash permitted at the event. My question to all. Is VR II worth the extra money over VRI?
I appreciate being able to go to a lower shutter speed when shooting a still target that VR gives me. But since I am mostly shooting moving targets should I save the $ and get some 2.8 glass that is not stabilized?
I apologize if there is a thread that more closely addresses this specific question. If there is could you direct me there?

VR wont help you stop a moving a target, it'll reduce the effects of camera shake at slow shutter speeds...

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:18 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What is VR really for?

ACNYPhoto wrote:
All my lenses that have it, I leave it off 95% of the time...

Really?! Well, my 70-200 f2.8 VR II and 200 f2 VR have it...and I'll USE it 95% of the time.
My keeper rate is obscene, I get exactly what I want out of a steadied VF...EXACTLY

NIKON D700    340mm    f/4.0    1/1600s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Patrick Lanius
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What is VR really for?

Why is it so unbelievable that someone would not use VR 95% of the time? Use of the VR system depends on the type of shooting one does. Nikon recommends not using the VR system with a 1/500 or faster shutter. The great majority of frames I shoot are of sports action at 1/500 or faster. So I use VR very rarely because the negatives of using VR outweigh the benefits for the type of shooting I normally do. However, I do use VR (and I love it) when the situation calls for it. Here is an excellent piece on Nikonís VR system.

Jan 06, 2013 at 05:52 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What is VR really for?

For me, the bottom line is, VR works. However, if I could buy the same lens without it, I'd never pay an extra cent for it.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What is VR really for?

Trenchmonkey, with that high of a shutter speed the VR isn't doing anything to help you... VR wont make up for bad technique in a shot like that so off or on I suspect you'll have the same keeper rate as you have to have the technique down.

I turn the VR on when I'm handholding my 70-200 at anything below 1/100 or physically trying to handhold my 400mm at all.

I do admit on my 16-35 it's cool for some ridiculously slow hand held shutter speeds...

But for me, it's normally off on all my lenses unless needed.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:32 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What is VR really for?

ACNYPhoto wrote:
Trenchmonkey, with that high of a shutter speed the VR isn't doing anything to help you... VR wont make up for bad technique in a shot like that so off or on I suspect you'll have the same keeper rate as you have to have the technique down.

I turn the VR on when I'm handholding my 70-200 at anything below 1/100 or physically trying to handhold my 400mm at all.

I do admit on my 16-35 it's cool for some ridiculously slow hand held shutter speeds...

But for me, it's normally off on all my lenses unless needed.

I don't shoot birds much, but, when I do, I turn VR on. Birds often fly in and out of various lighting situations, especially when shooting them around their nesting area. Also, I tend to shoot them late in the day. Don't like the idea of turning VR on and off. Mainly because I will probably forget and miss the shot. And, i try to always keep the shutter speed at the max FL.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:55 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What is VR really for?

ACNYPhoto wrote:

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this matter then. I've tried on/off and prefer on. This is especially true on the more
artistic captures and filling the frame shots, the stabilized VF makes for more accurate comps. and fewer clipped wings.
With my continued success using VR as I do, I'm just not buying "it's not doing anything to help you" arguments. TEHO, eh?!

edit...It should be noted: separating AF from shutter release (VR activation) yields much different results. I'm hooked.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:02 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What is VR really for?

ChrisCoy wrote:
I don't own a single VR lens, and never have. I personally view it as a marketing scheme to increase the sale price, but that's simply personal opinion.
For those of you who actually use the VR function, in 'real world' daily shooting where has it helped improved your images?

VR definitely helps my shots where I don't use a tripod. I originally bought the 80-400mm VR to use to photo wildlife from my kayak. It's just not practical to use a tripod in a free floating boat. The VR did the trick! I also use it in low light situations where I can't use a tripod. I consider it very useul.

Kent in SD

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:50 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password