Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · What is VR really for?

ChrisCoy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What is VR really for?

I don't own a single VR lens, and never have. I personally view it as a marketing scheme to increase the sale price, but that's simply personal opinion.What is VR's actual purpose, and where is is mostly used?

For those of you who actually use the VR function, in 'real world' daily shooting where has it helped improved your images?

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:53 AM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · What is VR really for?

Chris ,

If we take the axiom to be true that at a minimum one needs 1/fl=better chance of sharp images and overcoming the effects of Camera Shake (fl=focal length). So for instance:

100mm lens = 1/100th shutter with good technique in order to not have blur due to camera shake

200mm = 1/200

The nikon system can allow one to gain ~4 to 5 STOPS so I can handhold a 200mm lens and shoot at say 4 stops better or 1/20th and get the same sharp image!

Got it?

VR and IS are groundbreaking technologies and help me All the time to get sharper images than i could have without them.

There are caveats of course the main being it cannot do anything for Subject Movement and generally i do Not use it while on a tripod Unless it is one of the super teles > 300mm but those are for other threads

J

Edited on Dec 01, 2012 at 02:17 AM · View previous versions

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:16 AM
tjpenton
• •
p.1 #3 · What is VR really for?

^^ well said!

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:17 AM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · What is VR really for?

ChrisCoy wrote:
I don't own a single VR lens, and never have. I personally view it as a marketing scheme to increase the sale price, but that's simply personal opinion.What is VR's actual purpose, and where is is mostly used?

For those of you who actually use the VR function, in 'real world' daily shooting where has it helped improved your images?

I take you are asking what VR is and how does it work? Attached is Nikon's definition: http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/ftlzi4s6/Vibration-Reduction.html

Since you find VR on all long glass, it would seem to be more than a "scheme." It gives me the ability to hand-hold the 300 VRII 2.8 at a lower shutter speed than usual.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:20 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · What is VR really for?

tjpenton wrote:
^^ well said!

John usually says it well.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · What is VR really for?

to answer your question in a simple manner: YES it has. and in more then a few occasions.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:27 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #7 · What is VR really for?

Thanks J.

I didn't realize that it gave you 4 to 5 stops stability.

I've just learned to always shoot at 1/125th or better at all times. If I have to go below it, I'll use a cheap tripod, but those times are very very rare.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:46 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #8 · What is VR really for?

How does Nikons VR compare to Sigma and Tamron's VR?

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:50 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · What is VR really for?

Tamron calls it VC and Sigma's is OS. Never used them and I don't use a cheap tripod--too easy to miss a great when shooting in a wind.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:01 AM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #10 · What is VR really for?

Helps with panning sometimes, keeps me steady. I always have it on when under 1/250, just habit I guess. I don't really depend on it, only have it because the lenses I wanted had it as a feature, hasn't made or broke a sale since my 55-200 VR back a few years ago when starting out.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ucphotog
• •
p.1 #11 · What is VR really for?

I have unsteady hands. I find VR essential, just to let me shoot what other people would be able to shoot without it. Hence, I try not to buy a lens without it.

I moved over from Sony to Nikon and it was very disappointing because Sony has VR in the body and Nikon puts it in their lenses. When you buy a Nikon lens with VR, you probably pay $100-$200 for VR, vs. the same lens without it. On Sony (at least the DSLR's), you get VR with any lens -- for free! Even the old Konika-Minolta manual focus lenses.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:40 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · What is VR really for?

Try hand holding a 500 with and without VR on. Or try a 70-200 at slow shutter speeds. VR makes a huge difference. I have thousands of images that would not have been possible or practical without it.

EBH

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:02 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #13 · What is VR really for?

EB-1 wrote:
Try hand holding a 500 with and without VR on. Or try a 70-200 at slow shutter speeds. VR makes a huge difference. I have thousands of images that would not have been possible or practical without it.

EBH

+1

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:09 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #14 · What is VR really for?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I hand hold my 80-200 AF-S, which is a beast in itself. I just don't shoot slower than 1/125th, and always try to stay at least at 1/160th or better if I can when I'm using it.

Although I assisted on a wedding on November 17th, and shot from the balcony. After about 15 minutes, I had it propped on the railing in front of me for added stability. This is by far the heaviest lens I've ever shot with, and I've only had it since August with limited use.

I'd love to try handholding a 500... got one I can borrow for the weekend?

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:16 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · What is VR really for?

Sigma and Tamron are basically the same as Nikon. Only the name has been changed.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:25 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · What is VR really for?

VR is great for two situations that I know of:

1) shutter speeds are too low to ensure a sharp image due to your motion but where a monopod and/or tripod are not an option and the subject is not moving. To be sure, a good tripod with good tripod technique is far better than VR but VR is better than bad tripod with bad technique. Also, if the subject is moving, VR will not help.

2) Panning shots ... helps keep the subject you are panning with sharp while your motion and low shutter speed blurs the background.

VR is a tool, like ISO, or fast lenses, or a tripod, etc. Used correctly in the right situations, it can help bring you great results.

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Lance B
• • •
p.1 #17 · What is VR really for?

I'd be lost without VR on my 300 VRII and 500 VR. The thing to remember is that on APS C or DX, due to the 1.5x crop factor, you need to up the shutter speed to 1.5x 1/focal length. So for a 200mm lens, that is 1.5x 1/200 = 1/300sec and if you crop your image you need to take that into consideration as well as this has the effect of magnifying any minor blur.

D800 + 500mm f4 VR + 2x TCIII @ f13, 1/250sec, HANDHELD and cropped about 25%! When cropping is taking into consideration, that is about 3 stops of extra handholdability!

D700 + 300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII, @f9, 1/50sec, ISO3200, HANDHELD, about 3.5 stops of extra handholdability!

D700 + 300mm f2.8 VRII + 2x TCIII, @f10, 1/20sec, ISO3200, on a monopod I do think, about 5 stops of extra stability! I think still damn good even on a monopod!

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:05 AM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #18 · What is VR really for?

So THATS how that's done Lance!

Never thought about the magnification aspect! I'm glad I asked the question now.

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:44 AM
Lance B
• • •
p.1 #19 · What is VR really for?

ChrisCoy wrote:
So THATS how that's done Lance!

Never thought about the magnification aspect! I'm glad I asked the question now.

I hope I helped.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:09 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · What is VR really for?

ChrisCoy wrote:
How does Nikons VR compare to Sigma and Tamron's VR?

Sigma does pretty good. 17-70/2.8-4 OS
handheld in a dark shed using a combination of things to get a reasonable DOF
Model NIKON D7000
Focal Length 38 mm
Exposure Time 1/50 sec
Aperture f/11
ISO Equivalent 6400

sjms 2012

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:11 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell