Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lock and Dam 14

VinnieJ
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Lock and Dam 14

Is it too early in the season for eagles? I had a friend who went fishing there this past weekend and he did say he saw bald eagles. He was fishing not shooting so he didn't pay too much attention. Anyone else been there recently?

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:55 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Lock and Dam 14

I went three weeks ago and barring a resident Juvi i did not find any in the 5+ hours i spent there

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:07 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lock and Dam 14

That stinks. I may check it out tomorrow.

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:24 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Lock and Dam 14

If you don't mind can you keep this post updated ? I am thinking if I can head out on Sunday

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:19 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #5 · Lock and Dam 14

Sure, as of right now I have no plans for tomorrow morning so I'm hoping to go.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Caleb Jeffers
• •
p.1 #6 · Lock and Dam 14

Guy's I am thinking it will most likely be about 3 more weeks are so before any real action starts at 14, my opinion though I am more then ready to take a trip up that way!

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:29 AM
Paul Hokanson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Lock and Dam 14

Thanks for the post.

sritri,

How was the water level, with this being a drought year? I've heard reports of barge tracffic being reduced because of it.

I NEED MY EAGLE FIX THIS YEAR!

Thanks.

Paul

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:00 AM
WesN
• • •
p.1 #8 · Lock and Dam 14

Iíve been going to LD14 the last 4-5 years or so, it typically takes cold weather before they come down (i.e., the river freezing). Itís a little disheartening to see our friends in the North East getting those great shots when itís not -10 below, but hey Iím happy for them! Last year was a warm winter in the Midwest and the couple of times I went to LD14 it was a disappointment. This winter is supposedly forecasted to be more typical, so hopefully the eagle activity will be better Ė but it still typically takes some COLD weather.

Wes N.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:45 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #9 · Lock and Dam 14

I'm here, nothing yet

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:37 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lock and Dam 14

Okay been here for an hour and I've seen 1 eagle. Not too exciting

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sritri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Lock and Dam 14

It was around approx 2:15 an adult and juvi made a flyby I hope you find some. I also counted 6 pelicans flying in as I headed out to get a sandwich from Subway but as I drove back there were none to be found. Did you happen to walk up to the barge across the bridge where the gulls are ?

Paul : The water levels were quite normal I thought. I did not see and barge traffic that day but I did read on mvs's site that they were de-silting the previous week. So maybe the water levels are down. Not sure

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:51 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Lock and Dam 14

Vinnie: Can you head over to the Alcoa factory road. There seems to be two according to the webcam..

http://www.alcoa.com/locations/usa_davenport/en/info_page/eaglecam.asp

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:55 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #13 · Lock and Dam 14

sritri wrote:
It was around approx 2:15 an adult and juvi made a flyby I hope you find some. I also counted 6 pelicans flying in as I headed out to get a sandwich from Subway but as I drove back there were none to be found. Did you happen to walk up to the barge across the bridge where the gulls are ?

Paul : The water levels were quite normal I thought. I did not see and barge traffic that day but I did read on mvs's site that they were de-silting the previous week. So maybe the water levels are
...Show more

Yes, I got some shots of he gulls there. That is also where the eagle flew over my head. After that I went over to Credit Island in Davenport and caught about a half dozen eagles there. One of the local fisherman told me to head over there. Too bad I didn't get to see any of them fishing.

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:12 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #14 · Lock and Dam 14

sritri wrote:
Vinnie: Can you head over to the Alcoa factory road. There seems to be two according to the webcam..

http://www.alcoa.com/locations/usa_davenport/en/info_page/eaglecam.asp

I just got back home now. Had fun but I definitely want to go back when it gets colder.

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:14 PM
Paul Hokanson

p.1 #15 · Lock and Dam 14

Thanks sriti, on the water levels.

Paul

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:44 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Lock and Dam 14

Awesome. Will wait for the photos

Dec 01, 2012 at 08:50 PM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lock and Dam 14

sritri wrote:
Awesome. Will wait for the photos

Very crappy background. I need to go back when the weather is better.

Lock and Dam 14 by Mandrake Photography, on Flickr

Dec 01, 2012 at 11:14 PM
burtcg
• •
p.1 #18 · Lock and Dam 14

Larry and I have just returned from taking of Sandhill Crane and Snow Geese photography at Bosque with the Monkey and will now devote our attention to Eagles at LD14 ( I live 7 miles from LD14).

Weather conditions are still too warm up north and here for Eagles. We will post updates as conditions improve, until then oil your shutters and get ready for another season of fast paced Eagle action at LD14.

Also plans are under to resume the Annual "Larry Williams & Co. LD14 Cookout" at LD14. Will post a date soon.

Dec 02, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Larry Williams
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Lock and Dam 14

Typically, the northern eagles start drifting into the area between the 3rd to 4th week of December.

Last year was very warm and the eagle numbers did not reach a peak until about the 3rd + week of January. During their stay, all were scattered and not many were located around LD 14. The Gizzard Shad numbers seemed to be low last year and not many were located under the dam, hence the eagles went else where to fish.

It's been very warm so far this year and I'm not expecting them to arrive any time soon.

But this is my uneducated opinion.

Larry

Dec 02, 2012 at 11:27 PM
xjetjock
• • •
p.1 #20 · Lock and Dam 14

I've been waiting for this topic to start. This Fall, one of our resident Bald Eagles flew right over me while I was taking a landscape pano on the Kishwaukee River southeast of Rockford. The geese on the river got VERY excited. It was an unexpected event so no pics. Looking forward to LD14 this year.

Paul S

Dec 03, 2012 at 01:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password