Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · An itch and a question

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · An itch and a question

The question: I see lots of excellent photos of adult Bald Eagles posted, however, some of those shots show the body and wing feathers as grey, instead of brown. Any idea why some shots look like that?

The itch:

Canon EOS 7D    EF400mm f/4 DO IS USM lens    400mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    1600 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · An itch and a question

Very cool shot Tony. I'll take a stab at your question, I think the reflective quality of feathers plus the colour cast from blue or overcast skies probably contributes to this.

Rob

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:39 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · An itch and a question

Tony , what a fantastic shot !! Wonderful capture, great detail and a killer background

Birdie

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:13 PM
acjd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · An itch and a question

To answer the question, first, as I found out, I'd wonder how many people actually do color correction before putting up a picture. Second, I agree with Bob. Looks to me most pictures where the sun is clearing shining on the bird the feathers are brown. But I see many where the bird is near the water on an overcast, gray day and the reflections come off the water the feathers don't look brown. Like the say "it's all about the light".

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · An itch and a question

Tony, you have likely seen more eagles in your lifetime that most of us and for sure more bathing eagles than all of us combined

My guess to 'gray' like look on feathers is also color balance a bit but also now more details and color nuance being pulled from better optics and sensors and improved sharpness to strengthen those colors. The color you are speaking of seems to also come from shots in more extreme coldness or reflecting snow from below.

Your Eagle above shows areas of a slight gray-silvery-blue mixed in with the browns. I don't think our eyes see in flight what we see in our images so they may look a bit odd when viewing to our minds memory?

My .02

Oh, that is some mighty fine detail here and a most unique relaxed pose!
Take care
Karl

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:32 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · An itch and a question

Great pose Tony. Well isolated. No idea about the grey.

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:59 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · An itch and a question

That is a beauty Tony,

The feathers are brown. I'd need to see a specific sample to say they are looking gray

Morris

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lance B
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · An itch and a question

Super shot, Tony! I like seeing these shots of birds "going about their business" as well as those perfectly staged portraits.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:49 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · An itch and a question

a great shot Tony .. i've posted 3 or 4 sets of eagles this fall .. is it mine that are gray?

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:21 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · An itch and a question

Another great shot Tony. another factor in color reproduction is contrast. Shots with not enough contrast lack color depth ~ Ron

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · An itch and a question

Very nice shot and a great question.
I would guess its all to do with the light and what its reflected off. I see on your pic on the back where there appears to be a lack of feathers in places that it looks grey instead of brown.
Martin

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · An itch and a question

Thanks everyone.

Tony

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:47 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · An itch and a question

Tony, Tony, Tony...isn't it obvious...if you look at photos of me 15 years ago my hair was brown...now its grey...they are old eagles, that's all
Eric

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · An itch and a question

eyelaser wrote:
Tony, Tony, Tony...isn't it obvious...if you look at photos of me 15 years ago my hair was brown...now its grey...they are old eagles, that's all
Eric

Hey, I'm older than you and still have hardly any grey, or hair.

Tony

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:54 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password