Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?
  
 
jzucker
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


I'm currently using the 10x56 fotodiox strip boxes but the grids don't seem to work very well and the AB speedring insert doesn't fit the buff lights very well.


Nov 30, 2012 at 04:01 PM
kenyee
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


They work well...wish they were longer for full length, but they work fine for 3/4 shots. You'd have to stack two for full length.

Best grids I've seen are the lighttools ones...but they're an Arm&Leg and maybe another Leg



Nov 30, 2012 at 07:00 PM
PeterBerressem
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


kenyee wrote:
...but they're an Arm&Leg and maybe another Leg

What? The third leg too ?



Nov 30, 2012 at 07:14 PM
jzucker
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


kenyee wrote:
They work well...wish they were longer for full length, but they work fine for 3/4 shots. You'd have to stack two for full length.

Best grids I've seen are the lighttools ones...but they're an Arm&Leg and maybe another Leg


so which strip boxes are you using?

I do like the length of the fotodiox ones. Wish the grids worked better but the worst problem is the looseness of the speedrings...



Nov 30, 2012 at 08:23 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



markymarc
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


I am using the Buff stripboxes and grids. They are adequate for my needs but I am not a pro. From my research, some folks complained that the light is not consistent from top to bottom. Perhaps a stop of loss. Someone on POTL actually rigged a mirror DIY to spread the light more evenly. I also hear that stripboxes in general have a hard time, by design, to keep the light loss at a minimum from top to bottom. They have a good return policy so for the price of a cheap rental, you can test theirs out.


Nov 30, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Headshotz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


markymarc wrote:
I am using the Buff stripboxes and grids. They are adequate for my needs but I am not a pro. From my research, some folks complained that the light is not consistent from top to bottom. Perhaps a stop of loss. Someone on POTL actually rigged a mirror DIY to spread the light more evenly. I also hear that stripboxes in general have a hard time, by design, to keep the light loss at a minimum from top to bottom. They have a good return policy so for the price of a cheap rental, you can test theirs out.


Yeah none of the all time great photographers who have iconic photographs published, and used whatever stripboxes they had available to make those photos had any idea of the uneven spread problems. They needed members of POTL to educate them.....

More shooting....less measure-bating.




Dec 01, 2012 at 05:05 AM
jzucker
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


Headshotz wrote:

Yeah none of the all time great photographers who have iconic photographs published, and used whatever stripboxes they had available to make those photos had any idea of the uneven spread problems. They needed members of POTL to educate them.....

More shooting....less measure-bating.



so what are you doing on the lighting and technique forum if you don't want to discuss it? Is it ok to discuss the merits of this stuff?

And by the way, my uncle Monte Zucker was an iconic photographer and he absolutely paid attention to the merits of one piece of gear over another.



Dec 01, 2012 at 03:07 PM
s14brent
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Anyone using Buff's strip-boxes and grids?


the photoflex ones are awesome, grids are of fantastic quality, and you can get a westcott quick release speed ring for quick setup/breakdown. just a lot pricier than the fotodiox/PCB ones.


Dec 02, 2012 at 02:21 AM





FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password