Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Another Strobing a Court Suggestion Request

Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Another Strobing a Court Suggestion Request

This year, I am planning on shooting some basketball using AB flashes rather than speedlights

I have not done this before. I have 2 AB800s that I've recently acquired. In the past, I'd shoot ambient or use speedlights aimed directly at the court.

The court is recessed with a walking circle/bleachers around the top section. On both sides of the court, the bleachers go to the floor (there's no bleachers behind the goals, just a wall). I was putting 2 speedlights in the corners of the upper part of the lower section...(under the word VISITOR) in the BG of the attached image...pretty close to the court...or if you follow the row of bars in the middle of picture #2....where they met the corners (attaching to the wall behind the goals)...thats where the speedlights were.

BUT...AB's would be way more intrusive in size and I would assume totally inappropriate to blast direct at that level.

If you were shooting in this place, what would you recommend?

I don't have a great shot of the court, but here's two pictures...one from 2010 (7D w/24-105L speedlight strobed) and one from 2008 (from a 30D 50/1.8, ambient)

McMurray @ ETBU Basketball by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

ETBU Basketball by Jeff Stapleton Sports, on Flickr

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:09 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #2 · Another Strobing a Court Suggestion Request

In the past, I've also clamped my speedlights to the top of the railings of the folded up bleachers (see picture 1) and pointed direct, but this left shadows of the railing on the court.

I know scott said in his other post that he would bounce no matter what. I'm thinking that bouncing into the blackhole of light that is the ceiling would be my only non-intrusive option using AB's...but then again, I'm not sure...and thus the nature of this post

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:12 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #3 · Another Strobing a Court Suggestion Request

I have never had a single comment about my strobes being "intrusive." But, I haven't used ABs. I initially used speedlights until I got my Einsteins.

I shoot direct AND I like to have my strobes along the baseline pointed towards center court. I place my light stands about 5-10 feet outside the play of action in the corner of the court. The rule I have is higher is better so I use 16' light stands. I really don't angle the line of light too much down towards the court. The reflector really takes care of distributing the light in the corner and under the hoop. If I angle the strobe down to the court too much, I get hot spots.

These are just guidelines. You will need to test in your environment and see what is best.

MD

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Carl Auer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Another Strobing a Court Suggestion Request

I will put lights about 25 feet up and direct strobe. I think you should be fine. Is there foot traffic on the upper level where the folded bleachers are? If not, I think that would be a great location. I would place them on the corners, pointed towards mid court and draw an imaginary line from the angle of the bottom of the reflector to the close baseline, and draw an imaginary line from the angles of the sides of the reflectors to the baseline and if possible up the sideline. This should, with AB800's, give you enough light to cover the whole court.

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:43 PM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Another Strobing a Court Suggestion Request

Any chance you could test a combo of AB800's and speedlight(s)?

The AB800's might work direct, but if they are too strong, then the only way to lower the power output without lengthening the flash duration is to filter it, or go indirect. Einsteins in this stuation would be perfect, because they get faster with a lower duration. But you don't have those. So why not speedlights?

If the AB800s are too much, why not bounce them both up, and then use a speedlight aimed direct. Two of them from the same location could work at reduced power and still provide a nice pop. The AB800's would then provide a fill of sorts.

And if this all does work out, and you can justify it, an Einstein could eventually replace the direct speedlights, since they get faster flash duration with lower power output.

Just my thoughts.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:49 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password