Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

ggOk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I am currently using one of my office in my house as storage. I call it storage because I have A/C running 24/7/365. I currently have more than 40 (most are FD) Canon lenses on a shelf but I would like to know how others keep their lenses when not in use.. and what other methods are there? thanks in advance for your inputs.

/r
Andy

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:01 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I store most of my lenses in various bags and the "big boys" in a fairly big Pelican case. And I put in several desiccant pouches in there, too.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:21 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

AGeoJO wrote:
I store most of my lenses in various bags and the "big boys" in a fairly big Pelican case. And I put in several desiccant pouches in there, too.

+1, although I use Nanuk cases, the 940s are just right size wise for my old and new gears. They are for storage only, a Domke F2 is my field bag.

One 940 holds the following digital gears, comfortably packed, not super tight; the case interior is 20" x 14" x 6.5"
1) front edge, 1 long divider, 2 narrow, gripped 40D, gripped 50D, G12; all are standing up right with straps on top
2) two long dividers (left to right)
- back row, 2 dividers, 70-200 an 300 f4L IS (hood reversed on the 70-200), 1.4x T/C
- middle row, 5 dividers, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 100L IS macro, 17-40L, 24-85, EF-S 10-22; hoods reversed on bottom

Micro fiber cloths, blower, wired remotes, batteries, filters n such are kept in my F2 pockets. I've a smallish Domke Brick 10 soft case where flash and macro accessories (rails) are as well as two EOS3 bodies; one gripped.

I had most of this gear on a book shelf, but it just gathers to much dust, thus the switch to cases, organized equals easy to find.
Jerry

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:10 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

AGeoJO wrote:
And I put in several desiccant pouches in there, too.

I wonder if the desiccant packs help - where do you get them?

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:01 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

CW100 wrote:
I wonder if the desiccant packs help - where do you get them?

You can get them online, lots of places sell them, might try Lowes, Home Depot, etc...Amazon has them

Dry-Packs 10gm Cotton Silica Gel Packet
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DKQB02/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:17 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

Warm and dry would be better than cold and moist. You don't state what climate you live in, and your profile is deliberately obscure. Turn off the AC unless you live in a very humid climate. Even then, don't keep the temperature too low.

The best way to avoid mould growth is warm and dry, so in tropical areas, photographers might keep lenses in a cabinet with a low wattage bulb turned on to warm it up just a little; low like say 15 watts.

That works better than desiccant packs which have to be refreshed or replaced frequently.

Simple sealing boxes like Rubbermaid kitchen ware are sufficient to keep dust out. Put lenses in open boxes in the cabinet and after, say, six hours when the temperature of the lens and box have stabilized at the warm temperature of the cabinet, then close the boxes and leave them there.

You can put desiccant in closed boxes, and it will help with residual moisture, but it is not your first line of defense. If your first line is "warm and dry", then the packs will have to be replaced much much less often.

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:36 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I store my lenses in Pelican cases, and use the reusable desiccant packs. There have been several discussions on which desiccant packs are best and if they actually work; so Iíve decided to test for myself what is the best way to go. I purchased the cheap reusable packs from Amazon (I have eight of them) and also the ones sold by B&H as Pelican desiccant packs (I got 10 of those). To test, I just received 200 humidity indicator cards that meet military specifications and Iím now trying to figure out the procedure for testing in an attempt to get a definitive answer. I will be taking pictures of what I do and the results I get.

I wasnít going to post anything until I got the results, but this post came up so I thought Iíd share what Iím doing. If any of you have any suggestions on how to test, feel free to share.

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:25 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

Chiefdog72 wrote:
I store my lenses in Pelican cases, and use the reusable desiccant packs. There have been several discussions on which desiccant packs are best and if they actually work; so Iíve decided to test for myself what is the best way to go. I purchased the cheap reusable packs from Amazon (I have eight of them) and also the ones sold by B&H as Pelican desiccant packs (I got 10 of those). To test, I just received 200 humidity indicator cards that meet military specifications and Iím now trying to figure out the procedure for testing in an attempt to
...Show more

Way cool Chief, I'm quite interested in your results...I'm still holding on to my old MF gears and just use the cheapo desiccant bags, I change them out every 2yrs or so; no mild, yellowing of glass in 30+ yrs so far, I do live in a DRY area; SoCal...

Jerry

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:41 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I live in a very humid environment, thus I invested in an electronic dry cabinet like this one:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=230755627466&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=07277982188

I am able to set the desired humidity level, and it has alleviated all concern of fungus and mold. What often is not discussed is that too much moisture is bad for the glass but too little moisture can be bad for the rubber seals and gaskets, thus too many dessicant packs could be detrimental to the lens as well.

All the best, and Merry Christmas!

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

keoni068......You have a good point there, something I havenít considered. I need to do some research and see what would be considered too dry.

Jerry, I also live in California (central coast), while just a few miles to the beach it is usually low humidity here (no con trails on landscape shots). I do go over to the beach to shoot often, and travel to southern states a couple times a year. I have never been very concerned until now because Iíve got the TSE-17 and TS-E 24 II which arenít sealed and Iíve started leaving my lenses in the Pelican cases for convenience. Maybe Iím being paranoid, but I just decided to answer the question once and for all, at least for me.

Bruce

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

Chiefdog72 wrote:
keoni068......You have a good point there, something I havenít considered. I need to do some research and see what would be considered too dry.

Jerry, I also live in California (central coast), while just a few miles to the beach it is usually low humidity here (no con trails on landscape shots). I do go over to the beach to shoot often, and travel to southern states a couple times a year. I have never been very concerned until now because Iíve got the TSE-17 and TS-E 24 II which arenít sealed and Iíve started leaving my lenses in the Pelican
...Show more

Hi Bruce, spend $1500 or more on a single piece of glass...be paranoid
Those TSEs look fantastic, post some of your Central Cal images...

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:38 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I store my lenses in a Pelican case, but I store them with a digital humidity meter so that I can make sure fungus can't get a hold, silica gel is helpful only if you know what your lens humidity is in the first place:

http://lenses.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/en_de/website/service/fungus_on_lenses.html

Possibly the most important photo kit related article you will ever read.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Chiefdog72
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

David that is a good article. Which digital humidity meter do you have if you donít mind me asking? I looked into getting one but couldnít find one that was accurate without spending a lot more money than I wanted. Also, I wasnít sure how to get the measurement inside the case unless the instrument had a probe or a constant on feature (leave it in the case long enough to get a reading inside the case vs. ambient).

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Indoor-Wall-Thermometer-Humidity-Temperature-Hygrometer-Meter-Gauge-/160920480126?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Weather_Stations&hash=item25779ba97e

I keep it inside the Pelican case the whole time, as well as letting me know the current humidity it also records the maximum and minimum humidity history. Seems to work well for not a lot of money!

Dec 01, 2012 at 12:35 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

thanks all for the great info.. I live in tropical area (Okinawa) and that's why I keep the A/C running all day. i like sillica packs but for my house, I would like permanent stuff that I don't have to worry about.. dry cabinet is great idea but little too small for me but I can see myself doing a DIY project near future.

/r
Andy

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:00 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I keep my stuff inside a large gun safe. I run a small light bulb that keeps it warm like Monito said.
No worries for many years.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

I have device checking humidity in storage room, if it is higher than ussual i am running dehumidifier until it drops, total cost $150.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

Like Tom, I use gunsafe, plus large Lowepro Magnum bags indoors. Iin live in Simi Valley, so humidity is similar to your area.

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:11 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon Lens Storage inputs...

Me too and I also put a couple of Pelican Silica packs on each shelf. They make more sense as they can be recharged and reused. Here is the link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1500D-Desiccant-Silica-1500-500-000/dp/B0018O035O

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password