Still works like a charm PollPollPoll 56 52%
Failed -- electrically or mechanically (please comment) PollPollPoll 2 2%
Never had a D30 or got rid of it in working condition PollPollPoll 50 46%
Total Votes 108 100%

Archive 2004 · Is your D30 still alive?

Jan Brittenson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is your D30 still alive?

My D30 died, probably something electric since it doesn't even power on anymore.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has had your D30 die?

Jul 31, 2004 at 06:52 AM
Azrael
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is your D30 still alive?

Before I bought my D30 the flash wasn't working, that had to be fixed.
I used it for half a year, about 6000 shots and just sold it again, in working condition. Hopefully it will continue to work for a long time, great camera

Jul 31, 2004 at 06:57 AM
Hans Bertrams
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is your D30 still alive?

My D30 still works great.
No need to upgrade to something else.

Jul 31, 2004 at 07:10 AM
slruser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is your D30 still alive?

I had a D30 and loved it. With my 10D I find myself shooting in 3mps more than 6. Why, because when I shoot family and friends I just don't need the extra mp's. I with i would have keep my D30.

Jul 31, 2004 at 10:27 AM
Kyle Yates
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is your D30 still alive?

I gave mine to my Dad when I'd finished with it ( I went to 2X D60's and from there to a 1Ds and a 1D MK II).

It was a brilliant learning tool and my first serious DSLR. He loved it as well but has since "part exchanged" it for a 300D -- He still also shoots film and as he's getting on a bit now wanted the lighter 300D.

The D30 will go down in history as one of the really great cameras -- it showed for the first time that a Pro could start using Digital 35 MM for daily work in a lot ( but of course by no means all) of situations at a very reasonable cost.

The only alternatives at that time if you wanted to shoot digital were the enormous Kodak DCS models which in todays money cost the equivalent of around 30,000 USD and some only had 2.2 MP as well. That's around 10,000 USD MORE than than the very high quality MF 22 MP digital backs (P25, Imacon etc) available today.

You can buy a P25 for around 20,000 - 25,000 USD.

Jul 31, 2004 at 10:37 AM
Pondria
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is your D30 still alive?

It is still my the only DSLR. It doesn't show any clue about its age. Unlike other cameras came out after that, like D60, 10D, 300D, 1D, 1Ds, this one has passed the mortality level. It will never get obsoleted.

Jul 31, 2004 at 01:48 PM
najibs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is your D30 still alive?

The funny thing is that now you can buy those Kodak DCS DSLR's from the late 90's that used to cost $30k for less thank $1k!!!! Like the one based on the F5 body I saw on the Sales Forum a few days ago for $750...I'd still take a D30 over it!

Jul 31, 2004 at 01:49 PM
Tony C
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is your D30 still alive?

Still going strong - shot 30+ images with it today.

Don't really need to upgrade, but probably will one day just because!

Jul 31, 2004 at 02:15 PM
lxcellent

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is your D30 still alive?

I not only still have my D30 (over 50,000 images!), but I use it for promotional catalog work in the summer time (I am a high school teacher during the non-summer months). D30 images can be rez'd up beautifully for full page images when needed.

The thing I always have found amazing is that people expect too much from their 35mm equipment. For 15 years I shot with 35mm film cameras (mainly Pentax LX - a MANUAL focus body) and never expected to create an image larger than 8x12. Therefore, I do not expect my D30 to print larger than 8x12. When I DID need high resolution shots, I used my Pentax 6x7. It bugs me when I hear people discussing upgrading their dSLRs because they want more MPs. MPs should be the lowest priority for most people.

I say all this, but I do think that I will be finally upgrading to the 1DmkII for next summer. Not for the extra MP, but for the better autofocus, better auto white balance, the improved flash algorithm, and the 1.3x crop factor - in that order.

Long live the D30!

Jul 31, 2004 at 02:33 PM
chrishierons
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is your D30 still alive?

stopped reading a lot of CF cards..... only one works

tried IBM mircodrives/lexar/scandisk.......I got a unknown brand card (256) which words

Jul 31, 2004 at 02:56 PM
christoph

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is your D30 still alive?

Still working fine, if it wasn't for the AF i don't think i would consider upgrading.

Jul 31, 2004 at 03:34 PM
Bill Lawrence
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is your D30 still alive?

My wife and I have a D30 and a D60 - both are working great.

Bill

Jul 31, 2004 at 06:26 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is your D30 still alive?

christoph wrote:
Still working fine, if it wasn't for the AF i don't think i would consider upgrading.

Same here. I want the AF precision of those 1 Series, but am unwilling to carry the weight or tolerate the nasty NiMH batteries. Seeing these problems addressed by Nikon's D2H, I look forward to Canon's response (perhaps a 3D).

Jul 31, 2004 at 09:10 PM
picnic
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is your D30 still alive?

I bought the D30 last April, used, after about a year with the D60. I was replacing the Oly E10 as backup--the requirements were that it had to use the ETTL lighting system, print terrific 8 x 10s, and use all my lenses. It surely does this just fine. I've shot with it some, but recently my husband (who is just getting back into photography after many years) shot some business shots for reference inside a not really well lit home (and with only the onboard flash since he didn't want to carry a 420 or 550 with him--and really has no experience with ETTL LOL). I was just amazed as I 'saved' some of these pics--no visible degradation at 100% after a hefty dose of shadows/highlights filter. This just astounded me--and this was with jpegs--I had to do all the work there since he didn't want to shoot RAW. It made a believer out of me--I've heard for a good long while that you could process the D30 files a great deal--and you really can. I hadn't planned on selling it, but now I know I won't--even though I shoot primarily with a 10D and the D60 is my primary backup for commercial work. He's enjoying it also with a WA--just terrific for him (he's a designer and often needs interior and exterior shots)--and he even carried it on a hike last week *smile*. I'll convert him yet.

Jul 31, 2004 at 09:24 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is your D30 still alive?

hurrah for D30 owners and their D30s
I sent mine in for servicing this June and Canon changed the shutter unit - so I guess it's good for another 25,000 shots now

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:45 PM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is your D30 still alive?

How much did Canon charge you for the shutter unit?

I just got my D30 (w 6k shutters, shot another 500 already) about 2 monthes ago. With RAW and Noise Reduction on, it's quite slow. Otherwise, it's great (other than my poor exposures, too used to shooting 9 stop latitude negatives.....)!

BTW, someone please look at my Long Exposure Noise Reduction post and help me out.~!!

Aug 01, 2004 at 01:02 PM
Jim Sonon
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is your D30 still alive?

I bought my D30 about a year and a half ago and use it mostly for indoor volleyball. I sometimes dream about faster AF and overall response times but my D30 makes me feel special when I produce a well-timed shot. Life is good when there is plenty of light. javascript:void(0);

Aug 01, 2004 at 01:33 PM
picnic
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is your D30 still alive?

BiscottiGelato wrote:
How much did Canon charge you for the shutter unit?
snip

Someone on dpreview just had a shutter replaced on a D60 and I believe it was about $250 (I had remembered someone else saying $285). I don't think I have a link for the thread--I had asked him to post when he got the camera back. I do plan to replace the shutter in my D60 when time (I know it has a lot of shutter actuations, but don't think the D30 has been used nearly as much).

Ah, here it is http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=9606193 $223.74.

Diane

Aug 01, 2004 at 01:40 PM
nutek
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is your D30 still alive?

i paid $223.74 for mine too. They cleaned the sensor as well.

Aug 02, 2004 at 01:39 AM
KIDERAL
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is your D30 still alive?

My D30 is still working great. I only bring it out for the extra reach...

Aug 02, 2004 at 06:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.