Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

This could have been a perfect shoulder bag for light duty walkarounds with 500 II, a very light and compact bag in line with relatively light Canon 500 f/4 IS MKII. Granted, in the Kinesis tradition, which I find a bit of a turnoff, you'd have to buy a shoulder strap as well as a bag outside pocket separately, in order to make the bag functional.

So the pouch takes the lens, the hood reverse mounted and........wait now, it says the bag height can not accomodate the camera boody mounted on the lens.
That is a real bummer.....what were they thinking.

Does anybody have that pouch, and have they confirmed that a camera can not be shoehorned into it ?

Edited on Dec 02, 2012 at 08:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

I've been looking at this bag (actually the 970). I used to own the 311 when I had the 300 and the diameter was too large for me. Also the 1 lb vs 2-3 lbs makes it a lot lighter when compared to the long lens cases. I have lots of straps so that's not an issue for me...

Wish they would keep the 970 the same and make a longer case. I know it would look strange but I'd like one of that diameter (or slightly larger) that could fit the camera/lens and hood in shooting position.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Mile High
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

Would it fit with an extension lid L127 or L128?

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:20 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

I have their E-870 pouch for 200 f/1.8 (and 200 f/2 IS). Thankfully, that pouch can accomodate 1D cameras, so I use it as a very light shoulder bag.
I had added a strap of my own. Unfortunately, there are no pockets anywhere on the bag, thus I have to carry small accessories such as spare batteries in my coat pockets.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

Mile High wrote:
Would it fit with an extension lid L127 or L128?

Perhaps......I think I should talk to them about it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

I think the extension lids only work with the long lens cases...

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

I have the original 500 f4is attached to a 1Dx and it does fit in my Kinesis bag...but just. Peter, I don't have the new 500mm but if you want to give me one I'll check it out
Eric

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

eyelaser wrote:
I have the original 500 f4is attached to a 1Dx and it does fit in my Kinesis bag...but just. Peter, I don't have the new 500mm but if you want to give me one I'll check it out
Eric

Just for clarification your talking about the e976? I just want to make sure before I place an order... I'm guessing if it fits a 1dx it would easily fit a 5dIII..?

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:24 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

eyelaser wrote:
Eric

The new 500 is a few mm shorter.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:44 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

Think Tank notified me a few days ago that the Glass Limo is in stock.

Db

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:12 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

PetKal wrote:
Granted, in the Kinesis tradition, which I find a bit of a turnoff, you'd have to buy a shoulder strap as well as a bag outside pocket separately, in order to make the bag functional.

That's like buying a car and the wheels separately no? lol I would've said thanks, but no thanks.

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:02 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

n0b0 wrote:
That's like buying a car and the wheels separately no? lol I would've said thanks, but no thanks.

The Kinesis system is modular, so this makes perfect sense. You buy the case and then you can either buy a strap for it, straps to make it a backpack of sorts, or a pack frame to mount it to. You can then add on additional pockets, a belt and so on and get exactly the setup you want.

I use the L511 long lens case which fits the 500 (hood reversed) and camera body nicely. Have it together with a pack frame, a tripod holder, a belt, and an extra pocket.

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:32 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

pingflood wrote:
The Kinesis system is modular, so this makes perfect sense. You buy the case and then you can either buy a strap for it, straps to make it a backpack of sorts, or a pack frame to mount it to. You can then add on additional pockets, a belt and so on and get exactly the setup you want.

I use the L511 long lens case which fits the 500 (hood reversed) and camera body nicely. Have it together with a pack frame, a tripod holder, a belt, and an extra pocket.

Ah, that makes sense then...

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:35 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

godfather wrote:
Just for clarification your talking about the e976? I just want to make sure before I place an order... I'm guessing if it fits a 1dx it would easily fit a 5dIII..?

Yes, same here. Eric, can you please confirm you are talking about the E976 pouch/bag (linked and pictured in my OP above).

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:44 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

Doctorbird wrote:
Think Tank notified me a few days ago that the Glass Limo is in stock.

Db

Thanx Db, I guess that new Think Thank product would serve a somewhat different purpose, and it is twice as heavy and much bulkier than the Kinesis pouch E976.

Most of us make short photography outings within our general area, say twice a week.
One hour of driving each way, with a dedicated photography mission, and some hiking involved from the parked car to the shooting location and back. All done within one morning or afternoon.
For that kind of most common outings, I do not need extra bag room for additional lenses and camera bodies, lap top computer, GPS, sleeping bag, coleman lamp, a change of underwear and two day supply of food and water. In fact, the only accessories I usually carry is a spare battery and 1.4xTC. Therefore, anything extra on the bag beyond what's neccessary to accomodate the lens/camera, a TC and a spare battery is a waste/parasitic weight.

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:15 AM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

n0b0 wrote:
Ah, that makes sense then...

Yeah, but I will admit Kinesis makes it hard to figure out what to purchase. Best to call/email them with your needs and they can put together a shopping list.

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:27 AM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

I have this case and it takes a 7D with grip + 1.4 TC + 500mm f4 (older version ) It is also within carryon specs if that is an issue for you.

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:55 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

lowbone wrote:
I have this case and it takes a 7D with grip + 1.4 TC + 500mm f4 (older version ) It is also within carryon specs if that is an issue for you.

Thank you Lowbone. Since the case takes 1.4xTC as well, that means there should be enough height for a 1D camera mounted on the bare lens.

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:25 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

Kinesis has some nice looking gear, had not heard of them, is there a bag anyone would recommend for a gripped crop body (40D or 7D) with the 400 f5.6L attached? I like their belt system, with a pouch or two that combo might make a good light weight day pack; a belted alternative to my Domke F2; might be safer also
Jerry

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:29 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A near miss: 500 f/4 pouch by Kinesis.

Jerry, several years ago, Kinesis carried a holster type bag for a pro size camera and 400 f/5.6......in fact, that was the only product of the kind I could find at the time (because of the 400 f/5.6 length), and I am still using it.

However, today I do not see that bag on the Kinesis website. In the meanwhile, Think Tank have come up with their long "Digital holster" which might do the trick for you, i.e., gripped 7D + 400 f/5.6. I believe Think Tank products are really well made, just that I do not have any info from people who have used the linked "Digital holster" bag.

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:49 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.