Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rider

philtax
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rider

This is one from Grizzly Peak road in Berkeley from last June that I was never satisfied with. Have done a little more work on it to bring it out more. Hopefully not too much! Frank C&C welcome.

Phil

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:38 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rider

Phil,

I think this image has great mood. I think if you could just lighten the rider (just a little more so he doesn't disappear in there). If you can crop out the left side bush area there it might bring the image more impact. I would convert this to black and white and really work on the light rays. I think this image has great potential for BW.

Jason

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:45 AM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rider

Hi, Phil.

Looks great 'as is' to me. The bush, the visible hump in the road, the light intersecting with the rider and top of the road provide a whole lot of interest. I'd rate it 'Very Cool'.

Cheers,
Ed

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Phrasikleia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rider

I agree with Ed about "very cool," and also with Jason that the rider is getting a bit lost in the frame. I probably wouldn't lighten him, however, since the shaft of light behind him is lighter than he is (so making him lighter probably wouldn't help). Instead you might consider cropping a lot off of the top and left to give him some more presence in the frame. That upper left corner isn't adding a lot anyway.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:20 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rider

OK, probably going counter to the direction this thread is taking.
I remember the original shot & like it very much, as-is.
The mood & shading were fine, especially the rider silhouette.
Also, the "smallness" of the rider, riding just at the cusp of the day.
Maybe it's just become I'm a cyclist and have ridden in conditions like this.

Dan

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:35 PM
MASL
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rider

Phrasikleia wrote:
I agree with Ed about "very cool," and also with Jason that the rider is getting a bit lost in the frame. I probably wouldn't lighten him, however, since the shaft of light behind him is lighter than he is (so making him lighter probably wouldn't help). Instead you might consider cropping a lot off of the top and left to give him some more presence in the frame. That upper left corner isn't adding a lot anyway.

Second that - title: "Dedication"
Nice work - Mark

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:37 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rider

I also like it as is. The brighter lights direct the eyes to the rider and road.
Another great shot Phil!
Fred

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:56 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rider

Beautiful mood here! The rider does get a little lost though. I would second MASL.

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:49 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rider

roguecoolman wrote:
Phil,

I think this image has great mood. I think if you could just lighten the rider (just a little more so he doesn't disappear in there). If you can crop out the left side bush area there it might bring the image more impact. I would convert this to black and white and really work on the light rays. I think this image has great potential for BW.

Jason

Hi Jason - Thanks for your kind words and sugestions! Your website has some great shots.

Phil

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:40 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rider

Well- I thoroughly LOVE this, Phil.
With this title, you indicate that the rider is the most important element in the image. Yet he is tiny compared to all else. So that's something of a contradiction (theoretically).
Personally, I looked at the image before reading the title- and the shot worked perfectly.
Possibly a different title might subtly direct viewer's attention away from the fact that the rider does sort of disappear in the shadows. Well, maybe .
Or- as suggested- lighten the rider.
Or do nothing more at all .
Either way- a terrific image!
Charlie

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philtax
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rider

teked wrote:
Hi, Phil.

Looks great 'as is' to me. The bush, the visible hump in the road, the light intersecting with the rider and top of the road provide a whole lot of interest. I'd rate it 'Very Cool'.

Cheers,
Ed

Thanks, Ed!

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:20 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rider

Phrasikleia wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - it's a photo that seems to lend itself to different crops.

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:38 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rider

dswiger wrote:
OK, probably going counter to the direction this thread is taking.
I remember the original shot & like it very much, as-is.
The mood & shading were fine, especially the rider silhouette.
Also, the "smallness" of the rider, riding just at the cusp of the day.
Maybe it's just become I'm a cyclist and have ridden in conditions like this.

Dan

Hi Dan - I'm impresed that you remember the original - it's been a while! My original thought was to emphasize the smallness of the rider by having a lot of surrounding fog. I'm glad that works for you.

Phil.

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:41 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rider

MASL wrote:
Second that - title: "Dedication"
Nice work - Mark

Hi Mark - Thanks for the suggetion and kind words! Maybe the title isn't helping me here.

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:43 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rider

Fred Miranda wrote:
I also like it as is. The brighter lights direct the eyes to the rider and road.
Another great shot Phil!
Fred

Many thanks Fred!

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:46 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rider

helenica wrote:
Beautiful mood here! The rider does get a little lost though. I would second MASL.

Thanks Helen - I appreciate the kind words and suggestion!

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:48 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rider

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Well- I thoroughly LOVE this, Phil.
With this title, you indicate that the rider is the most important element in the image. Yet he is tiny compared to all else. So that's something of a contradiction (theoretically).
Personally, I looked at the image before reading the title- and the shot worked perfectly.
Possibly a different title might subtly direct viewer's attention away from the fact that the rider does sort of disappear in the shadows. Well, maybe .
Or- as suggested- lighten the rider.
Or do nothing more at all .
Either way- a terrific image!
Charlie

I think you're on to something Charlie - the title may be directing toomuch attention to the rider when it might be better if the viewer just stumbled across him...good insight!

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 01:51 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rider

If you have to know the title before you appreciate the image then something is wrong with the image.

Cropping will likely fail because it will tend to centralise the rider and unbalance the whole image.

The rider gives a sense of scale to the trees but is otherwise probably not so important. Even without him the image would look good.

- Alan

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:10 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rider

Alan321 wrote:
If you have to know the title before you appreciate the image then something is wrong with the image.

Cropping will likely fail because it will tend to centralise the rider and unbalance the whole image.

The rider gives a sense of scale to the trees but is otherwise probably not so important. Even without him the image would look good.

- Alan

Thanks for the kind words Alan - I agree about titles - however my title may have raised expectations unduly.

Phil

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password