New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

so the wife and I are heading to Leavenworth for the Christmas Festival they have. Right now, I have an UWA lens.

I was going to rent a lens, but I might as well buy one (or a few) used ones and I don't have to return the lenses and also won't take a loss (hopefully).

Thinking about the Nikon 85mm 1.8G - but I am thinking 85mm would be too tight for general use. Another option would be the Rokinon 85mm 1,4 (had this on the 1Ds and it was amazing!) and get a 50mm of some sort.

Honestly, I think getting the Rok 85mm 1.4 and a Nikon 50mm (1.4 or 1.8G?) would be better - as it is more versatile. I have heard the 50mm 1.8G is as good as the 1.4?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:58 PM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

I would get the 50 1.8 as it's cheap, light and very effective. It's a good lens to have in your bag. And if you don't mind MF then the Rokinon is a good bet, too. However, your UWA will be more useful at Leavenworth. Take a sturdy tripod as the area can get icy. It's a fun place to shoot during the Xmas season.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

Are you going to just stay in town or are you going to do activities in the hills (in the snow)?

I think an ultra-wide, 50/1.8G and 85/1.8G would be a great combo - I don't think the 85/1.8G will be too tight for general use assuming you are using an FX body. Heck I'd bring along my 105/2.5 for such an occasion.

John

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

I was there for the Christamas tree lighting festival a looooonnnng time ago, wasn't into photography back then...but thinking back, I think the UWA is going to be your go to lens for sure for capturing the festivities in the town square...get the carolers, xmas tree, all the shops, gazeebo, etc. in one shot...should be great photos...maybe the 50 for inside the German restaurants...thos two might be all you need, have fun, very memorable and really puts you in the xmas spirit, it was like the Disneyland of christmas

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

The 28 1.8G is all you need... The 50 1.8G as a more affordable option

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:39 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

I would include something longer for when you are out and about in the streets with all the activities going on - I would think 85mm would be just fine for that.

If I were to go I'd bring:
- 17-35/2.8AFS
- 50/1.8G
- 85/1.8G (if I had one, which I will sometime this coming year)

It's a relatively light weight/compact (at least for me) and very capable three-lens combo, especially when the sun goes down or inside restaurants.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

Well, my wife was awesome before - but she is allowing me to get the 85mm 1.8G AND the 50 1.G, to go with my Tokina 17mm. Oh and I am using a D700

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:38 PM
BryanSwan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

The wide will definitely be your best friend - the streets in Leavenworth are pretty narrow, and should you poke your nose up Tumwater Canyon or up the Icicle (and you should), you will definitely be glad for the extra leeway. But if you have a valid excuse to nab new gear, no reason not to take advantage of it, right?

Dec 04, 2012 at 09:40 PM
Scott T
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

We went on a weekend last year, it was so crowded you could barely move, and cold!

Dress warm and be flexible with your plans. And any excuse to buy gear is a good one.

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

thanks guys for the recommendations! I work at REI, so i have no excuse not to dress warm

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:38 PM
FredAz

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with lenses.. trip to Leavenworth, WA

I was there this year for Octoberfest.
You'll really want a good "people" lens....

http://www.azinger.com/Pub/Octoberfest.jpg

Dec 06, 2012 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.