FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

I almost never post here, but here's a shot from last weekend along the Old Coast Road in Big Sur - the road that goes from Bixby Bridge to Andrew Molera - the route you'd have taken prior to 1932, when the bridge was built. Mamiya 7, 50mm f/11, Velvia 50. Drum scanned on a Howtek 8000.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:28 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Peter,
Lovin' the tones & detail on this.
Dan

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:56 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Great detail, but it seems a little crunchy. Might be the jpeg compression at work or possibly a little over sharpened. Nice shot overall.

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:12 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Well, jpeg compression, unless it's something like a #2 or 3, doesn't really do much of anything visually at one hundred percent. This was saved as a #8, which would never affect. More likely is that fact that this was produced and sharpened on a CRT (Sony Artisan) and you're probably looking at it on an LCD type of thing, which is crunchier to begin with. Then, there's also the drum scanner, which is very sharp and those cheap ol' Mamiya lenses. You could make a case for slightly less jpeg sharpening after downsizing.

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Here's a version that had only minimal sharpening 50,.3,0. A tad darker now too. There is half a chance that my Photoshop interpolation was set to Bicubic Automatic by mistake - the stupidest default among many stupid things Adobe does these days. Anyhow, this one should be better.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:41 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Peter Figen wrote:
Here's a version that had only minimal sharpening 50,.3,0. A tad darker now too. There is half a chance that my Photoshop interpolation was set to Bicubic Automatic by mistake - the stupidest default among many stupid things Adobe does these days. Anyhow, this one should be better.

Peter, I like this version much better...and yeah, I am looking at the photo on an LCD monitor. I personally struggle with display sharpening as the limited size of the image really affects how I sharpen. My major focus is sharpening for printing which I feel have much more control over.

Nice photo overall.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:19 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Coast Road, Big Sur

Love the incredible detail and the rich but not over saturated greens

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.