Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Am I the only one in here that is "patiently" awaiting real reviews and tests of this camera?

I've drifted away from CaNikon as neither was providing me exactly what i want, or really even that close to what i want, at a price i can "afford" (haha!).

D600: Dust problems? Seems to have a more D800 layout than D700/7000. I thought the D7k was perfect, outside of sensor size. Not sure- might be what I'm looking for.
D700: My fav stills camera of all time, but I wanted video.
D800(e): Can't afford it, no need for those files, not sure if the controls would be my cup of tea.
D7000: Awesome camera, but I wanted more sensor real estate haha.

5D(C): Still a good stills camera, and a great value- but no vid.
5DII: Dated controls, AF, sensor/processing, poor video implementation. DO NOT LIKE.
1DS: Might as well shoot film.
1DSII: Needz moar vid.
5DIII: Can not afford.

I initially shot Canon for the longest time, but found myself much more comfortable with the Nikon controls and interfaces. OTOH, i really miss certain things about Canon- like ease of adapting, certain native lenses.
I think the 6D may be what I've been looking for. Basically a Digital Elan 7.... it is ENOUGH camera, around a most likely good sensor.

Edited on Dec 06, 2012 at 03:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:07 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Yep, I'm patiently awaiting reviews of the 6D as well. I currently have my 5Dc that I use and would like a bit better high-ISO and video capability. Not to mention that the 6D is smaller, lighter and has built in WIFI and GPS.

If the reviews are positive, I'll be buying one!

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:14 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #3 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Awaiting for reviews as well, but still undecided as to whether I need/want to go FF.

I've been perfectly happy with my 60D and I like the form factor, so the switch to a 6D wouldn't be that much of a leap ergonomics- and feature-wise.

I will do it after the first price drop, if the IQ is beyond expectations.

Jaakko

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:41 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Seems to be only a temporary dust problem that goes away for the D600.

Honestly, get a sensor pen and lighted loupe, it's ultra easy to dry clean dust from a sensor.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:44 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Either way (re: D600 Dust), the 6D/D600 will probably be my next camera.
I am and have been VERY happy with the OMD. One of the best digital cameras I have owned for sure, but there are certain things it just does not do well.
I'd like a little more DoF control than native/AF lenses can give me in M4/3...
I'd like a little better AF tracking/moving-subject AF...
I'd like a great 35mm equiv that is actually fast and has narrow DoF (35/2, 35/1.4 on FF is awesome)...
And lastly, I would really like a nice UWA prime. Currently there are no 20mm or wider equivalent native M4/3 primes, and I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

To be honest for the alt user, the ML hacks for the 5DII and 5DIII do make that side of the scale drop dramatically. I can't see them bothering for the 6D to be honest.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:18 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

I'm not sure i follow what you're saying-

ML (Magic Lantern) makes the 5DII/III more awesome- Yes, this is essentially fact.
Are you saying that ML probably won't support the 6D? Or are you saying the ML+6D does not look awesome?

ML has supported all kinds of Canon DSLR's, from low to high end. I don't see why they would not attempt to hack the 6D. It would only make it even better value.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:45 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Making a choice between the D600 and 6D is not easy, which seems to mostly be your choice. The sensor on the D600 is likely to be better, but personally I like the high contrast matte replaceable viewfinder screens (i.e., Ex-S) that Canon makes for manual focus. For the alt shooter the better AF of the D600 is probably less of a deal, but might matter to some. Both are good cameras and it is nice to see Full Frame 35mm cameras with decent specs coming in at $2,000.

I recently got a 5D MKII, so I'm not interested in a 6D right now, but if I hadn't I would probably get one.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:02 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

ISO1600 wrote:
I'm not sure i follow what you're saying-

ML (Magic Lantern) makes the 5DII/III more awesome- Yes, this is essentially fact.
Are you saying that ML probably won't support the 6D? Or are you saying the ML+6D does not look awesome?

ML has supported all kinds of Canon DSLR's, from low to high end. I don't see why they would not attempt to hack the 6D. It would only make it even better value.

Well peaking and one touch 100% view make ML enabled DSLR's have a serious advantage for alt shooters. That and the availability of such a range of alt lens options do give more than a nod to canon. It's the (main) reason why I'm still with them and planning on a 5D3 rather than a D800. ML are hacking DSLR's based on their video performance. Not sure that the 6D will be that much in demand for the hack?

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:44 PM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.1 #10 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

As Steve Spencer mentions, one point in favor of the 6D is the ability to change viewfinder screens.

As for ML, I agree that it's a great help for Alt lens owners, not least for its focus peaking ability. On the other hand, the 6D is bound to be supported by ML at some point.

Jaakko

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Additionally, coming from the 5Dc, I'm excited about the silent shutter mode

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:01 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

I absolutely fail to see why ML would not support the 6D.

From their website-

Available for Canon EOS:
5Dmk2, 50D, 60D, 500D, 550D, 600D
soon: 5Dc, 1100D, 5Dmk3, 7D

They already support 3 d-Rebels and two (crappy) XXD cameras, about to support the old dusty 5Dc and some more croppers.

I am SURE they will be all over the 6D.

oh hey, Patrick- Do you still have that Canon 50/1.4 LTM i sold you? I saw on flickr you did some great stuff with it!

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:11 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

I am interested in this discuss. I don't care Video. I know 6D has only 1/4000 shutter limit. This could be problem with f1.4 lens day light.
I don't care AF, then what is the reason I choose 6D over 5DII?

I am happy to see your POV.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

ISO1600 wrote:

From their website-

Available for Canon EOS:

They already support 3 d-Rebels and two (crappy) XXD cameras, about to support the old dusty 5Dc and some more croppers.

oh hey, Patrick- Do you still have that Canon 50/1.4 LTM i sold you? I saw on flickr you did some great stuff with it!

My mistake then, cool!

What can they do with a 5Dc? I'd be very interested in that...

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:21 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Personally I have gotten to the point that i greatly value a system with at least one good native/AF standard prime for me to use, whether it is a 35 or 50mm equiv. On the OMD, i love the 25/1.4... On Nikon crop, it was the 35/1.8 DX. Canon FF, it'll prob be the new 35/2 IS.
I have an 8-month old son who moves pretty quick, and a nice simple AF lens helps out with that.
For wides and tripod stuff, i don't need AF at all
For the 1/4000 limit, no i'm not happy about it, but there are always ND filters. They've worked in the past for me and they will work again haha.

I'm getting pretty excited about the prospect of a nice, modern, FF DSLR that i can afford. My mind is pretty much already made up about selling the OMD "kit" haha- I'm sure you all know how that goes! My wife is going to be upset.

Not sure which one, but I will probably wind up with a D600 or 6D by January.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:28 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

My problem with the d600 is that there simply isn't any lens I want to use from the Nikon stable besides zf or adapted Leica r lenses. Their 24mm f1.4 is very interesting but the rest of their line up is pretty hohum. Sure very competent but again very very boring. I think it just would take away a lot of the fun in shooting for me.

I've never had any excitement downloading my d7000 shots taken with any Nikon lens including their primes.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:30 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

ISO1600 wrote:

From their website-

Available for Canon EOS:

Wow, what are they going to do with the 5Dc?

And yeah, I still have that lens..I love it!

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:34 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Anybody care to answer why choose $2000 6D over $1700-1800 5dII? From alt user point of View.

FPF, alt lens usage is archilis heel of Nikon system for alt user. Though I will be just as happy as is if ZF focus ring turn the other way as all other manufacture.

There is no advantage choose Canon prime over Nikon to me, only 851.2 is the one I see special. Maybe T/S (but I don't need them).

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:37 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

Zhangyue-
I think that is honestly a hard one. For explicit alt use, i think a slightly cheaper 5DII makes more sense in most cases.
My uses will include lots of low light, wide open, and video. I want more modern video controls, which the 6D has, and better low light. The 5DII did NOT impress me at 1600-3200.

Re: Canon vs Nikon primes.... On the D700, i loved the cheapo 50/1.4 AF-D. Sure, not the best IQ, but it had very fast AF, decent build, and was overall a very reliable lens for me. I think Nikon has a much more reasonable 50mm stable than Canon. The only Canon 50mm i care about is the $1200+ L.
Nikon has sealed 24 and 35/1.4's.... Canon has yet to update the very old 35L. This matters to me, when I'm looking at shelling out $1k+ for a lens.
There are a few Nikkors that I REALLY liked a lot- 18/2.8 AF-D, 50/1.4 AF-D... actually those are the only lenses i needed when i had my D700.
Canon is a MUCH better platform for Alt use, there is no way around this.

I will say, when it comes to video- the D600 has the ability to monitor with headphones WHILE recording, which is huge!

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:58 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #20 · Canon 6D. Interest? I got mine :D

I wrote this in the earlier thread:

''It would be nice if the sensor has something special in the rendering and postprocessability. I am crossing my fingers. I'll accept 1/4000 shutter speed and mono audio and 1/180 flash sync and other non fancy details easier.

But after holding one at a local photo fair a month ago, I concluded that I don't like its ergonomics in comparison to 5D series.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:13 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password