New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · long and fast lenses for street photography

jrs5fg
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · long and fast lenses for street photography

I don't understand why street photographers take wide-angle lenses as gospel. I think you can get interesting street shots with a long lens, like with the 135mm f/2

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:48 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · long and fast lenses for street photography

I don't claim any competence as a "street" photographer I think at least for me, I like to use "wide angle" because doing that allows me also to see the context in which the person happens to be, and I certainly like that when photographing people in Paris Long lenses provide for specificity of the subject more so than context, IMHO. So, I reckon it's about "context v. specificity."

FWIW, I like what you've done in the photos you've displayed, and, surmise that you've met your apparent goal of isolating your subject. I will of course add that I look a heck of lot more innocuous with a Contax G2 and 45mm/2 or Fuji X100 and 28mm/2 than I would with my D700 and my son's 135/2 DC. Just my soon-to-be, even more devalued two cents.

tony

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:05 AM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · long and fast lenses for street photography

I agree with your assertion .

I prefer my 70/200 (on FF) for street, since I don't have to get too close and the zoom gives more flexibility for candid shots.

I tried a V1 and that had some value for the close up stuff (even shot upside down)

Now to your shots. (1&2) are too saturated & unrealistic.

The shot of the gal on the escalator appears blown. You might like to consider trying a high contrast B&W where the blown can work in your favor

This opinion not even worth the two cents...

Rags

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · long and fast lenses for street photography

anthonysemone wrote:
I don't claim any competence as a "street" photographer I think at least for me, I like to use "wide angle" because doing that allows me also to see the context in which the person happens to be, and I certainly like that when photographing people in Paris Long lenses provide for specificity of the subject more so than context, IMHO. So, I reckon it's about "context v. specificity."

FWIW, I like what you've done in the photos you've displayed, and, surmise that you've met your apparent goal of isolating your subject. I will of course add
...Show more

Agree.

Give me the Leica MM and a 35 summilux...Thats all the stuff I need for the street.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · long and fast lenses for street photography

jrs5fg I forgot to mention. If you are going to use a "big gun"; I have a hotshoe bubble level that I use and is very helpful for hip shots.

Level the bubble at your hip aim & shot wide

Rags

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.