Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Large Group Portrait

Ronny Mills
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Large Group Portrait

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10046-10396

Dec 03, 2012 at 04:59 AM
camboman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Large Group Portrait

jhobgood wrote:
maybe rent concert riser so they can be at different levels. You need LOTS of assistants.

A great suggestion - getting them into a somewhat controlled position is huge!

Big power lights with big modifiers.

Good luck!

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:17 AM
cas5
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Large Group Portrait

@Jhobgood - Unfortunately, the hospital vetoed using risers. We did get use of mechanical scaffolding so we can get above the group and shoot down on them. They've also made the decision to shoot in the lobby closing part of it off to public traffic for the photo. While the indoor shot is easier in some ways, I now have to worry about reflections off the piles of glass and tile everywhere.

@Ronny Mills - Thanks for the link! It's an awesome article and definitely influenced how I am planning to do this shot.

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:48 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Large Group Portrait

Now that you have a little more focus on setting and you've found out that it's indoors I would just bounce some big strobes off the ceiling. To me that's a pretty easy call especially since you'll be shooting from above and they'll be looking up. I think it's a much better solution now that we know you are indoors. Using modifiers in this situation unnecessarily complicates things IMO unless there is some reflection reason that bouncing wouldn't work. Use a gray card or color checker though.

brad

Dec 03, 2012 at 05:53 AM
cas5
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Large Group Portrait

Hmm, Hadn't really considered trying it as a bounce. The ceilings in the lobby are 4 stories up, glass on the west side, glass and drywall on the south wall, east wall is blue iridescent tile. I'll go in sometime during the week and play around with the lighting to see what works best.

Dec 03, 2012 at 06:37 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Large Group Portrait

This has probably occurred to you since your second post but bullhorn/hospital/6am is not a great combination. Along those lines, be thinking about anything else that could be disruptive to patients and staff. Don't expect them to shut-down the hospital to cater to your needs.

On the other hand, it might be wise to politely request that a facilities person be on hand that morning to help you with any building details, particularly with electrical power if you plan on plugging in those Einsteins. Electrical outlets could be overloaded and breakers tripped, causing you to lose valuable time in front of 100 people. Using battery packs for the lights, if you have them, might be a good option.

Think about safety. Use sturdy stands - C-stands would probably be best in this case and get those things sand-bagged down with some type of warning tape/sign around them. Watch any cords and tape them down if need be. If you don't have liability insurance, you need to get it now or cancel the shoot.

It looks like the lobby has colored lights. It might be cool to try to retain some of that but that will likely complicate the shoot more with more directional lighting and perhaps gelling of the lights.

If prints are somehow going to be made available for the participants, you might want to consider having small flyers made up describing when, where, and how they will be made available, possibly with your business card attached. I would hand those out as they leave so they don't have them in their hands during the shoot. You'll have to judge if all that is appropriate given your arrangement with the hospital.

Will it be important for you or the hospital to collect the names of the participants?

Dec 03, 2012 at 12:19 PM
jhobgood
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Large Group Portrait

cas5 wrote:
@Jhobgood - Unfortunately, the hospital vetoed using risers. We did get use of mechanical scaffolding so we can get above the group and shoot down on them. They've also made the decision to shoot in the lobby closing part of it off to public traffic for the photo. While the indoor shot is easier in some ways, I now have to worry about reflections off the piles of glass and tile everywhere.

Good luck man. Post the results if you can!

Dec 04, 2012 at 04:22 AM

Poff Photo
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Large Group Portrait

Considering the lobby is four stories high, it is a pity they went against risers. Basically, what I am picturing mentally, is a sea of 100 faces looking up at you. Obviously, the higher you can get, the better - else the folks in the back will be unrecognizable dots. If they are going to put you up on some sort of manlift - make sure they shut it completely down during your shots - some of them run a small motor even in idle state - and you don't want vibrations... Are there catwalks/railings/balconies overlooking the lobby? Maybe, instead of putting your Einsteins on the ground and trying to get them high enough, you could mount them above the crowd and direct the illumination downward... I would love to see the final result and how you accomplished it... Good luck!

Dec 04, 2012 at 11:11 AM
HauntedHat
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Large Group Portrait

So, how did it went?

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:03 AM
cas5
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Large Group Portrait

It didn't. One of their regular photographers found out what I charged and offered to do it for 1/2 the amount.

Edited on Dec 08, 2012 at 06:00 AM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Markcs12

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Large Group Portrait

cas5 wrote:
It didn't. One of their regular photographers found out what I charged and offered to do for 1/2 the amount.

Were you upset about that, or relieved?

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:00 AM
cas5
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Large Group Portrait

Pissed. I quoted $2,000 which is very reasonable for a complex commercial shoot. I included two assistants (both professional photographers with lighting experience) and a kick ass retoucher. It would have been an awesome environmental shot.

Dec 08, 2012 at 05:59 AM
RyanL
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Large Group Portrait

Next time get that contract signed and seal the deal.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:48 AM
gregSC
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Large Group Portrait

DOes not say much for the hosital...

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password