Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

rdalrt
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

Hi, folks. Looking for some advice/opinions from those with experience strobing gyms.

I would like to try strobing my local HS gym for basketball again this year. I tried last year with my 4 AB800's mounted in the corners and bounced from the roof. I wasn't terribly impressed with the results.

Below are some pictures of the gym. I think the bouncing from the roof wasn't great due to the color/design/layout of the roof. So I was thinking this year to maybe go direct or try bouncing off the end walls.

Having never tried direct or bounced from the end walls, I am looking for some advice.

How would some of you who strobe regularly strobe this gym? I have access to mount the strobes pretty much anywhere I want.

Take note of the one end wall that has a large metal door running about 1/3 of the wall length.

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM
mdalby
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

Your ceiling definitely makes bouncing less effective but I have always shot direct rather than bouncing. The color, contrast is just better than bounced.

I just use 2 Einsteins. I use light stands along the baseline outside the line of action and I point the strobes towards center court. Here are a few shots with my approach.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

A combination of wall and ceiling works well. If you are going to try to use the walls only it would be nice if you can utilize the corners to get some cross bouncing going on.

Marty

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:44 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

I'm gonna hope you already have liability insurance. If not, forget any suggestions I am about to offer. Get insurance, then come back and read this thread. Seriously, please don't even think about placing another strobe without it.

I don't think that gym looks that bad and I'm surprised bouncing didn't work. I bounce off a gym that has white ceilings, but there are large beams and HVAC units up in the rafters/beams that one would think would be a mess. I just bounce and let 'em do their thing. You might be surprised how far light will bounce around.

Here are a couple of videos that show a little of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfcqzv7SGT4&list=UU8u1-sLyc9fn1cLIBZAuRVA&index=5&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqv0T1sg1Ww&list=UU8u1-sLyc9fn1cLIBZAuRVA&index=7&feature=plcp

I personally find the images from bounced strobes a little more appealing than direct. I shot direct in larger facilities where bouncing just isn't feasible. That's usually not HS gyms around here.

Finally, I think it would really help us help you if you could share some images and what exposure settings you were using. I'm surprised the B800s aren't working for you bounced.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:04 AM
rdalrt
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

Thanks for the replies so far.

Scott: No worries about the insurance.

Here are a couple of pictures from last year. (First and only 2 games I have strobed) One from each end of the court. These are a couple of the better shots. What I am not crazy about is how much light is in the background. It seems bouncing off the ceiling kinda lights everything somewhat. And I am not crazy about the shadows. Guess I should shoot tighter or find better spots to shoot from (lower?).

I would prefer either a bit more ambient or a much darker background. I am thinking direct strobes may create the darker background. Maybe I just need to adjust my settings?

Is it better to have the strobes mounted higher or lower? Standard reflectors or long throw?

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    95mm    f/4.0    1/320s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    90mm    f/4.5    1/320s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:45 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

What does the ambient meter and how does the light look? The lights look like HF fluorescent lights which are great in that they don't cycle very much at all.

John

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rdalrt
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

Ambient is about 1/400, 2.8, 3200. Correct about the HF fluorescents. When I do shoot ambient, there is very little color shifting from cycling.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:19 AM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

For me this year will be my first using Einsteins vs using speed lights last year. Ive been in my gym a few times practicing my set up and I really like the results I am getting. One thing that I have found that I really like is using the long throw reflector vs using the smaller one that comes with your AB's.

Scott, do you shoot any Hayden games? Ill be up their when they play the team I cover, Basehor-Linwood.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:45 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

You prob still wont get a dark background even pointing direct, unless you have strobes only at one end, right at the edge of the court, at a high power...if your strobes are in the stands (further away) the light fall-off behind the subject will be minimal, due to the inverse square law....even at higher power settings...

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:18 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

I usually only use two strobes, if I had 4 I think I would use them in two zones depending on what end I was shooting. I think this will give you the look your after.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:44 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

Great post thanks, Scott great videos, I watched them multiple times, When you guys are strobing a gym, do you also shoot any ambient? What percentage?

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:15 AM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Strobing a gym - advice/opinions wanted

I never shoot ambient if I have strobes...even if I am bouncing with two it's usually enough to drop my aperture down to 2.8 and shoot the far end of the gym if I want but once you strobe it's hard to go back.

Dec 03, 2012 at 03:56 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password