Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Intimate in the Narrows

parsons
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Intimate in the Narrows

This section of the Virgin river is crossed on your way up through to the Glow that Bob posted a picture of teh other day.
On our first crossing there was a glimmer of the shot i was looking to take, but the light was just not strong enough.
After our early start up to Wall Street, our return was timed about right to hit the Glow further down stream which gave the light for this shot i was looking for.
Focussed on the rear wall, allowing thewater to stay soft, enhancing the hardness of the rock even more.
5dmk2 Contax 35mm @f11 @ 1.6 sec

thanks for looking,

Simon

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:47 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Intimate in the Narrows

Nice light on the rocks, I feel the water should be brighter and maybe a bit warmer and to my brain it appears rotated clockwise oh about 20 degrees. Still a very nice shot, but those are the things I would have done different.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:02 PM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.1 #3 · Intimate in the Narrows

Wonderful, Simon! Looks perfect to me and great balance. Lizzie

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:14 PM
philtax
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Intimate in the Narrows

The rocks have a wonderful glow and the water provides a great contrast.

Phil

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Intimate in the Narrows

Great and unique. I really like this!

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:04 AM
ScaryFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Intimate in the Narrows

Cracking image!!!

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

brnord
• •
p.1 #7 · Intimate in the Narrows

I like the concept here but I feel this image was recovered from an under-exposed shot. The rocks look as though there was a lot of fill light applied to them and the lack of light on the water contrasts with the bright rocks a bit too much.

Maybe what I'm seeing is a result of compression however and if thats the case, this is a nice composition.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:54 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Intimate in the Narrows

JohnBrose wrote:
Nice light on the rocks, I feel the water should be brighter and maybe a bit warmer and to my brain it appears rotated clockwise oh about 20 degrees. Still a very nice shot, but those are the things I would have done different.

HI John,
thanks for your thoughts. i was waiting to see if anyone would mention the "tilt". but its an optical illusion

simon

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:05 AM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Intimate in the Narrows

brnord wrote:
I like the concept here but I feel this image was recovered from an under-exposed shot. The rocks look as though there was a lot of fill light applied to them and the lack of light on the water contrasts with the bright rocks a bit too much.

Maybe what I'm seeing is a result of compression however and if thats the case, this is a nice composition.

Underexposed! No... Fill light applied = 0....

the lack of light on the water i cannot explain and it was not undersaturated to make it contrast more with the rock face. there was however a big boulder out of view down river which blocked the glow directly hitting the water, so only the reflection from the wall is visible in the water. i would suspect that a longer exposure would of rendered the water silky smooth and therefore showing more colour but the water was extremely choppy as it came around the bend and over some biggish boulders, as can be seen by the "wakes" in teh water.
i will post a raw screen shot later on.

simon

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:11 AM
brnord
• •
p.1 #10 · Intimate in the Narrows

No need, it's a great shot - just looked odd at first glance.

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:50 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Intimate in the Narrows

brnord wrote:
No need, it's a great shot - just looked odd at first glance.

Thanks!

No problem, always like to engage with the viewer

simon

Dec 08, 2012 at 07:06 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password