Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Milky Way

ThinkDima

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Milky Way

Hi all,

This is my first post and first attempt at Milky way.
Any feedback is welcome

Thanks

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:46 PM
pumaknight
• • •
p.1 #2 · Milky Way

As a first attempt, very nice indeed. And welcome.
And to offer some advice and guidance:

1. The trees are a fraction distracting and don't accentuate the beauty of the stars you have captured.
2. Use a bit more curves in post if you can to pull the brightness of the core of the Milky Way out. This may be the scene as shot, so how much you boost in post is a personal thing
3. Work on the composition. remember just cos the stars are stunning doesn't mean we cannot find the right lines and angles to pull the viewer in

I say this cos I did the exact same thing with my first shots of stars...put trees in the bottom and then let the Milky Way try and inspire the viewer...

Hope this helps a bit....I really look forward to seeing more (p.s. you can see some of my Milky Way efforts in earlier posts on my blog if you like www.tojustbe.co.uk)

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM
ThinkDima

p.1 #3 · Milky Way

Thank you so much for the reply and suggestions.

Agreed on all your points.

Will have to play a bit more to be honest - i didn't even think about using curves. will definitely have to try it out, as well as finding different angles and composition. The only problem right now is i don't get to go outside the city as much as i would like.

Your pictures look awesome

Thanks again for your feedback. Looking forward to getting more feedback on the pictures i'll post here

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:18 AM
MattRyan5

p.1 #4 · Milky Way

pumaknight wrote:
As a first attempt, very nice indeed. And welcome.
And to offer some advice and guidance:

1. The trees are a fraction distracting and don't accentuate the beauty of the stars you have captured.
2. Use a bit more curves in post if you can to pull the brightness of the core of the Milky Way out. This may be the scene as shot, so how much you boost in post is a personal thing
3. Work on the composition. remember just cos the stars are stunning doesn't mean we cannot find the right lines and angles to pull the viewer
...Show more

Hey these are both pretty sweet. I am slowly doing some of this, but I always find that I never get the right focus. any tips to get both the foreground and the stars crisp?

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:20 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Milky Way

I am just a starter myself, but I have recorded some stuff at the link below which includes stuff about focus and DOF.

My camera is too noisy for dark sky milky way shots so I specialize in shots taken with 1/2 to full moons. But a lot of the technical issues remain the same.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=1041

By the way, I like this image and am glad you included some foreground interest.Nice job.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pumaknight
• • •
p.1 #6 · Milky Way

MattRyan5 wrote:
Hey these are both pretty sweet. I am slowly doing some of this, but I always find that I never get the right focus. any tips to get both the foreground and the stars crisp?

Yes, two techniques. First, bring a bright torch and shine it on the foreground. That is normally enough for you to focus in either live view or through the eye piece. The second is to focus at infinity on the lens. Both work well for me.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:16 PM
ThinkDima

p.1 #7 · Milky Way

Hey guys. It's great to see the interest people have for these night images.

Click here to see the exif of this shot.

I find that focusing to infinity and then rotating the focus ring back half a degree does the trick.

I'll post more info and hopefully more images after this weekend.

Thanks again all !!!

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Milky Way

This is a pretty nice shot, especially for your first attempt. Shooting stars is a lot of fun, and it looks like you are on the right track. I look forward to seeing what else you get.

Jim

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM
ThinkDima

p.1 #9 · Milky Way

Unfortunately the weather wasn't cooperating this weekend.
I'll upload some other images later for your feedback

Thanks again for all the comments.

Dec 02, 2012 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password