Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · 5D3 Price Drop

carrjar

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5D3 Price Drop

I assume the $2800 body is on eBay (from BigValue) or are you seeing it from an authorized Canon dealer? That's about as cheap as you'll find the body only now.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:59 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5D3 Price Drop

No, that price would be from an authorized Canon USA dealer and not on that auction site. BigValue sold 500 units at $2,500 on that auction site but they may or may not Canon USA items and the deal was gone anyway ....

BTW, I bought a lot of stuff from this dealer. So, it sounds like the price they quoted for the second body to me included a price break. I received a few PMs related to this and I mentioned the name to those folks. Please keep in mind that it is not my intention to "promote" any dealer. In the future, I will just keep this for myself since I don't want to get in trouble for whatever reasons. Sorry.

Edited on Nov 29, 2012 at 07:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:09 PM
Mike1.6
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5D3 Price Drop

AGeoJO wrote:
I am considering a second 5D Mark III body and I could locate a body only for slightly more than $2,800, including shipping. I don't have to sell anything, like a lens or flash that I don't need. With the eroding price of the 24-105mm kit lens, that seems to be a fair price, right?

I'd say that is definitely a fair price. The price advantage on the kit hasn't been there for quite some time. Photographers trying to recover some of their cost by buying the kit and selling the lens have pushed the resale value of the like new 24-105 to $750-$775. So $2800 + $750=$3550. I'd say you win with a $2800 body, for now.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:04 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5D3 Price Drop

AGeoJO wrote:
In the future, I will just keep this for myself since I don't want to get in trouble for whatever reasons.

I don't see any reason that you need to so that at all, unless a moderator (or the dealer) specifically asked you not to share?

A "PM" from someone here asking you where you bought something is not much different from a friend saying "Hey, where did you buy your camera?"

Word of mouth and recommendations from satisfied customers is probably one of the best referral methods.

YMMV, that is my take on it though.

Best,
Michael

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:00 AM
carrjar

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5D3 Price Drop

Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules (I looked) but here is a decent deal on a 5Dm3 with lens. I finally felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger. $3100, with lens, brand new, free shipping, 1200+ feedback rating for the seller.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p2047675.l2564&rt=nc&item=251192369121

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:18 AM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5D3 Price Drop

carrjar wrote:
Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules (I looked) but here is a decent deal on a 5Dm3 with lens. I finally felt comfortable enough to pull the trigger. $3100, with lens, brand new, free shipping, 1200+ feedback rating for the seller.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&_trksid=p2047675.l2564&rt=nc&item=251192369121

I would be very, very careful on that one! It might be a hijacked account!

we have seen that here several times. A plumbing store or other store that has never sold anything like cameras. Suddenly they are selling high end camera, a batch of 10 or 12.

Looks like that sale just started a few hours ago, at the end of the business day.

If you get an e-mail asking for a wire transfer, etc., DO NOT PAY!!!

I would ONLY PAY WITH REGULAR PAYPAL, and USE A CREDIT CARD TOO.

There is a URL for their business there. Go to that web site, then give them a call about the camera that you purchased on eBay.

If they are puzzled or confused, their account has been hijacked!

You might also take that first picture and do a Google image search. It might be stolen from another auction, etc.

If that happens, better INSIST that eBay clearly contact every purchaser. They should call them, email them, block email access to their accounts - do everything they possibly can to prevent their customers from being ripped off.

This happened before, and even though eBay took the completed auction down, some "buyers" still wired money for the "camera". eBay does not care if you are scammed. They will do the bare minimum!

Good luck ... but ... I have never seen a legitimate USA camera close to that price. It doesn't even say "USA" model, but shows a card with USA warranty.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:28 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5D3 Price Drop

mmurph wrote:
I don't see any reason that you need to so that at all, unless a moderator (or the dealer) specifically asked you not to share?

A "PM" from someone here asking you where you bought something is not much different from a friend saying "Hey, where did you buy your camera?"

Word of mouth and recommendations from satisfied customers is probably one of the best referral methods.

YMMV, that is my take on it though.

Best,
Michael

Well, maybe I am over reacting a little . Neither Fred nor the dealer said anything about this.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:58 AM
arnold1
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5D3 Price Drop

carrjar wrote:

I saw that listing too. The listing says 5D III and lens without specifying anywhere what the lens is. The lens in the picture looks like the 24-105 and the box is the 5D III kit box w/ 24-105 clearly visible on it however.

The seller's primary focus is selling watches and it appears they are selling these cameras for someone else! While the not so clear pictures of the warranty cards say US and Canada on them, I hesitate buying from someone who is not an authorized dealer. Finally the seller charges a 10% restocking fee, i.e. $310 plus return shipping is what you'd pay if something was not right!

I really hope that all these concerns are unwarranted in this case and you got yourself a great deal on this kit.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:55 PM
carrjar

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5D3 Price Drop

I received an email from the seller about two hours ago stating that indeed they don't normally sell cameras and this was a "trading assistant item". Payment was made via PayPal. I just now received shipping confirmation with tracking #. Now I wait for the camera where the true test is.

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:57 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5D3 Price Drop

Look up the seller's info at their web site. Their URL is in their name on eBay.

Use the info you find at their web site to call them, just to verify.

If there is an issue, the sooner you can react the better.

Good luck!

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 5D3 Price Drop

carrjar wrote:
I received an email from the seller about two hours ago stating that indeed they don't normally sell cameras and this was a "trading assistant item". Payment was made via PayPal. I just now received shipping confirmation with tracking #. Now I wait for the camera where the true test is.

The price is simply too good to be true.... . Personally, I would not touch that auction with a barge pole but I hope that I was wrong. You paid them using PayPal on eBay directly or to an account they sent you in an email?

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:30 PM
arnold1
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 5D3 Price Drop

carrjar wrote:

Please keep us posted. As I said earlier, I hope our concerns are unwarranted in this case and it only turns out to be a great deal for you. Unfortunately, with the number of scams and scammers out there, one can not help worrying about any case that fits the profile.

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:45 PM
carrjar

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 5D3 Price Drop

All payment and correspondence has been via eBay. I wasn't asked anything by the seller (i.e. send payment to this email, go to this escrow site, etc.) After "not sleeping well" after I purchased last night, I decided to contact seller first thing this morning. This is what I asked. "I just wanted to touch base with you about the camera I purchased. I know that you normally specialize in other items. It was a great price and want to be sure everything was ok. Any info you can provide would be helpful. Thanks so much." and within the hour, this is what he replied. "Hello and thanks again for your purchase! This is one of our Trading Assistant items that we list for wholesalers thru ebay. It will go out later today via USPS priority." Keith - sultanadrivedotnet About two hours later I received an email from eBay (ebay@ebay.com) with an update on my order that it was marked "shipped" and provided a USPS tracking number. I've used eBay for 13 years. I read the post, and reread the post, and reread the post and felt more and more comfortable. I will not feel 100% comfortable until I have it in my hands. I will indeed keep you posted. My gut says everything will be ok. If not, "thieves" are getting VERY good and that is VERY scary. Again, all payment was handled with PayPal via eBay...the same way I've done every other eBay purchase in the last 10+ years.

Nov 30, 2012 at 08:55 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 5D3 Price Drop

You don't know who you are talking to via email.

If the account was hijacked, the thief could just update the email address and be answering.

The best method would be to find an EXTERNAL web site to eBay, find the contact info, and contact the owner of eth store that way, just to be sure!

An alternative would be to phone the store now using this info that I found in their eBay store:

Sultanadrive can be reached @ 1-559-871-3277, Monday thru Friday, 8am to 6PM Pacific Standard time.

Based on the assumption that the hacker did not update all of the ebay account information.

You might also try to search ion that number in Google, and match it to Sultanadrive Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. known information.

Good luck! If it were me I would make the call, just for peace of mind! maybe you will score a great deal?

Nov 30, 2012 at 09:58 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 5D3 Price Drop

Here is their old web site. Looks like they are trying sell it. But it has that same phone number.

http://sultanadrive.com/

It does say that they are "trading assistants" - that they will sell for people on eBay.

Next question I guess - is this a grey market, or a true USA warranty product?

They show a Canon USA/Canada warranty card in the picture. But the text doesn't say that of course.

Good luck!

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM
bigwad1

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 5D3 Price Drop

I sure hope this one turns out ok for you.
It's definitely a USA Canon warranty in the picture.
Regardless the price is beyond belief and all nine were sold in 2 hours.
If you sell the 24-105 lens for 750.00, you will have the 5D III left for a total of 2,350.00!
You did unbelievably good.......................................

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM
carrjar

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 5D3 Price Drop

I just got of the phone with Keith (559-871-3277). He didn't answer at first, I left a voicemail. He returned my call within 5 minutes. He said that he is indeed the seller. He did remind me of the "trading assistant item" and that's why he doesn't normally sell them. He occasionally gets calls about his higher end watches. I'm hoping that some of the details he left out in the description has more to do with him not knowing much about the item. I'm also hoping the pictures explain everything (i.e. lens details, warranty, etc.) His email via eBay signed Keith, and his cell phone voicemail was Keith. I have much better "peace of mind". But again, nothing will be certain until it arrives and has a true USA warranty.

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 5D3 Price Drop

FANTASTIC!!!!

At least you know that it is a legit seller with a product that will ship.

Now I am not as worried for you! I'm sorry to cause so much commotion & stress! we have been watching some real scams lately, and this had some of the same hallmarks.

I would think that if it does not include the USA & Canada 2 piece warranty card that is in the picture, you can easily get a refund, saying that "Item does not match description."

If it is a grey market without that warranty card, then the only reason for that picture to be there is for fraud.

All sounds good - I am much relieved!

Cheers,
Michael

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM
jorkata
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 5D3 Price Drop

Check Amazon for a new low price (as of 11/30).

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:58 AM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 5D3 Price Drop

Wow 3299 for 24-105 kit and 5d 3,

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:14 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password