Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tethered shooting and studio work

tonytastic

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Tethered shooting and studio work

Hi,

I do quite a bit of studio work and I've started seeing the benefit of shooting tethered to my laptop or desktop in studio. But unfortunately, the wire that my 5D2 comes with is quite short and after some research, a long cable has its only issues. Finding a wireless module for the camera is almost like going on a wild witch hunt and they arent cheap either.

Wondering for those of you who does studio work, do you tether or shoot straight to camera?

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:07 PM
devaulrg
• •
p.1 #2 · Tethered shooting and studio work

This is something that I'm surprised China hasn't tackled yet. Where's the Yongnuo Wireless Transmitter? I guess there wont be much of a need if the wifi from the 6D becomes standard in future models.

The only time I tether is when volunteering to do pictures with Santa for the yearly 'Christmas Bazaar' at a local church. I don't have a studio though and I would most likely tether if I did.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:06 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Tethered shooting and studio work

I alway use the Canon WFT's for my Ds2 when I had them and my Ds3's now. I like the functionality, speed and range of them. They are much faster and versatile than other WiFi options.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:02 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #4 · Tethered shooting and studio work

a long cable has its only issues.

I use 5M USB cable with 5D2 without any problem. What are the issues?

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Tethered shooting and studio work

I shoot tethered whenever possible with the 1DsIII's and it's never a problem. Of course, the 1 series comes with the longer cable standard, but there's never a problem with that. The best thing you can do though is tether through CaptureOne rather than Canon's crappy ass software.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:22 AM
tonytastic

p.1 #6 · Tethered shooting and studio work

phuang3 wrote:
I use 5M USB cable with 5D2 without any problem. What are the issues?

I was reading online that there was a maximum length to the cable, but it might just be random online hysteria floating around. The other issue is a tripping hazard, while my client is usually far away from the computer, i'm pretty I will fall flat on my face

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:28 AM
Andrew Burnett
• •
p.1 #7 · Tethered shooting and studio work

I was reading online that there was a maximum length to the cable, but it might just be random online hysteria floating around.

There's a technical limit of 5 meters or 16 feet for USB 2.0. The reason for this is that 5m of cable allows for the maximum time limit for a signal to be sent to a device and receive a reply before a timeout between the devices. Any longer and the original device will consider the signal lost.

One solution is to use a USB hub/repeater, but even then you're still limited to a few hops.

Tethered shooting is nice but there are some other solutions as well, including Eye-Fi cards for some cameras, and Canon's own wireless transmitters. Capture One has a really nice piece of software for displaying photos taken through wired tethering and then accessed on something like an Ipad: Capture Pilot.

Lots of solutions

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:59 AM
ronno
• •
p.1 #8 · Tethered shooting and studio work

I have used cables around 13' for YEARS without issues (5D2, 1Ds3).
Don't worry about it. Though you might want to put tape on the cable to people can see it (and not trip on it) in a dark studio...

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password