Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · 6D video soft and aliased
  
 
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D video soft and aliased


The perfect combo at last!

See CR. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e2d8f22d1b41f6dc3f37e5c79ac2bc42&topic=11220.0

I don't know that the 5D3 looks any sharper but at least it gets it done without heavy aliasing dancing all over. Part of me wonders if the 5D2 might even have a little bit better video.

Most people here seem to not care a whit about video so it might not matter much to the avg reader on this forum though.



Nov 28, 2012 at 06:56 PM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D video soft and aliased


I hope The Camera Store puts the 6D 24-70 F4L IS combo to the test like they did with the 5D3 and D800/600.

I'm a stills shooter, care little about movie mode, but the videos you linked to have a softness to them that I did not see in the videos (including the making of documentaries) or the stills that Canon released early on when the 6D was 1st announced. As for the moire/aliasing, I do see some on occasion, but my eyes are not tuned to movies and thus I'm not a good judge.

Best wait for production reviews...by mid 2013 we'll probably have one or more firmware updates if warranted...until then I'll stick with my 40D.

Thanks for posting Ski
Jerry



Nov 28, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Gochugogi
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D video soft and aliased


Yep, I've owned a 5D2 for over 3 years and haven't bothered to check if the video feature actually works.

skibum5 wrote:
The perfect combo at last!

See CR. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e2d8f22d1b41f6dc3f37e5c79ac2bc42&topic=11220.0

I don't know that the 5D3 looks any sharper but at least it gets it done without heavy aliasing dancing all over. Part of me wonders if the 5D2 might even have a little bit better video.

Most people here seem to not care a whit about video so it might not matter much to the avg reader on this forum though.



Nov 28, 2012 at 09:37 PM
ukkisavosta
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D video soft and aliased


Well, if the videos are soft and aliased, we can only conclude that still images will be sharp and moire-free.


Nov 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D video soft and aliased


ukkisavosta wrote:
Well, if the videos are soft and aliased, we can only conclude that still images will be sharp and moire-free.


For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so yes, yes I think you have called it.



Nov 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D video soft and aliased


How can it be soft and aliased with moire at the same time? Usually the jaggies and moire are there because it's too sharp, no? Which is why there'a an anti-alias filter in front of the sensor, right?

I can see the moire when the camera's panning, and the jaggies on the glass jar with the chocolate shoes in it. I've also paused on the chocolate close-up frames. Now I'm not a pro but my eyes are fine and they don't look soft to me.



Nov 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D video soft and aliased


n0b0 wrote:
How can it be soft and aliased with moire at the same time? Usually the jaggies and moire are there because it's too sharp, no? Which is why there'a an anti-alias filter in front of the sensor, right?

I can see the moire when the camera's panning, and the jaggies on the glass jar with the chocolate shoes in it. I've also paused on the chocolate close-up frames. Now I'm not a pro but my eyes are fine and they don't look soft to me.


Well the 5D2 has moire and aliasing and was a bit soft for 1920x1080. It did lots of line-skipping and the lines read were way too far apart for the stills AA filter to handle. I'm not quite sure why it also ended up being soft, but it did. (not that we want it quite videocam sharp, that is a bit unnatural and as sharp as the GH2 is it does have a touch of a video feel to it).



Nov 29, 2012 at 12:48 AM
mikegrados
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D video soft and aliased


I think I'll be happy with it. Your mileage may vary...


Nov 29, 2012 at 02:12 AM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D video soft and aliased


mikegrados wrote:
I think I'll be happy with it. Your mileage may vary...



Apart from the moire when panning and some jaggies, I'd also be happy with it to be honest.



Nov 29, 2012 at 02:58 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



photomadnz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D video soft and aliased


We got our stock today. Nice camera. Appreciably smaller then the 5 series. Reasonably nice sounding shutter. Raws may be a little bit softer then Im used to but sharpen up nicely. High ISO looks very good. Seems to focus pretty smartly.....


Nov 29, 2012 at 04:40 AM
ukkisavosta
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D video soft and aliased


skibum5 wrote:
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, so yes, yes I think you have called it.



photomadnz:
[...] Raws may be a little bit softer then Im used to but [...]


Ah, darn... there goes my reasoning.

Anyway, good to hear that stocks are flowing in. Looking forward to skibum5's tests and take on the IQ.

Jaakko



Nov 29, 2012 at 08:43 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D video soft and aliased


How can a raw pic be soft, if the lense is in focus? Pixel is pixel ... ?


Nov 29, 2012 at 02:05 PM
snapsy
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D video soft and aliased


Ralph Conway wrote:
How can a raw pic be soft, if the lense is in focus? Pixel is pixel ... ?


Pixels themselves can't be soft, but groups of them can be. AA filter, mirror vibration, shutter vibration, aperture blade vibration, etc..



Nov 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM
n0b0
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D video soft and aliased


snapsy wrote:
Pixels themselves can't be soft, but groups of them can be. AA filter, mirror vibration, shutter vibration, aperture blade vibration, etc..


Those vibrations only affect the image noticeably if you shoot at long shutter speed no?



Nov 29, 2012 at 02:41 PM
photomadnz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D video soft and aliased


Ralph Conway wrote:
How can a raw pic be soft, if the lense is in focus? Pixel is pixel ... ?


Different strengths of AA filter on the sensor. It would appear from my initial shots that its quite a strong one on this camera.



Nov 29, 2012 at 08:16 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D video soft and aliased


Could you offer us a sample picture?

Ralph



Nov 29, 2012 at 08:23 PM
bbasiaga
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D video soft and aliased


The real data will be up soon. This camera is going to be flamed regardless of how well it performs. Its just the times....

Preproduction cameras are not typically optimized.

-Brian



Nov 29, 2012 at 11:42 PM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password