Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800/e and D600 long exposure hot pixels and dots

LizzieShepherd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800/e and D600 long exposure hot pixels and dots

Just interested to get feedback from people who have either, or both, of these cameras and whether you are getting hot pixels and dots with long exposures and LENR turned off?

I was aware that many have found long exposures with the D800 to be problematic - needing either LENR or to use Raw Therapee (?) for processing...

However, I had read several accounts of the D600 not needing LENR turned on.

Having tried a few long exposures at night, I seem to be getting hot pixels even with the D600. Bearing in mind it's cold here and one of the exposures was only just over 2 minutes, I'm a bit surprised.

Grateful for people's experiences so far. Thanks, Lizzie

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:25 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800/e and D600 long exposure hot pixels and dots

On the D800E I experienced one issue with long exposures, when using a Heliopan 10 stop filter. At times I would get a haze of red appearing in the image but not always. Ironically it does not exhibit this when the same filter is used on my 5D MKII.

Furthermore when using a vari-nd filter that goes up to 8 stops it did not exhibit this issue on the 800E.

Futher testing with the D800E with exposures upwards of 20 minutes without filters and it was fine no hot pixels. I do not have LENR turned on.

Other than that one filter that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't I haven't had any issues with long exposures or hot pixels. I typically shoot at ISO 200 or less using Zeiss ZF lenses or the Nikon 28 1.4. I may do a test shot at some super high ISO to calculate the time needed for an ISO 200 shot and that hgh ISO shows lots of noise and hot pixels but the ISO 200 shots are fine.

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:04 PM
LizzieShepherd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800/e and D600 long exposure hot pixels and dots

Hmmm thank you - though I can't understand why the difference... Mine was at ISO 100 as well, so that wasn't the cause ;-(
Incidentally - re the red haze - did you have the eyepiece curtain closed? Or was it a 16-35VR lens by any chance?
I know a lot of people are having problems with hot pixels or white dots with long exposures, so you must be one of the lucky ones! But you'd think it would be the same across the board...

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:42 PM
burningheart
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800/e and D600 long exposure hot pixels and dots

A couple of times I forgot about the eyepiece closure but most of the time I did have it closed. Zeiss ZF 18, ZF 21 and ZF 35 (F2) were the ones I noticed it the most. I just stopped using that filter and use a vari oe instead. No I don't have the 16-35VR.

The only white dot issue I had as the full moon on the 10 minute exposure, one big huge white dot.

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password