Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski a...

janmcn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski area: settings?

We'll be at a ski resort for New Years where they will have a torch light parade with fireworks on the mountain. Having never shot in that lighting situation, and not having much "prep time" I'd like some advice on how to shoot with my 5Dmiii that night. What ISO, speed, etc. I'd like the slower speed to get the movement of the torches down the run. Not sure how to put it all together, but I'm sure there are folks here that have done it successfully.
(probably the 24-105 f/4 IS L lens on it but might use the 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS L).

Many thanks.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski area: settings?

janmcn wrote:
We'll be at a ski resort for New Years where they will have a torch light parade with fireworks on the mountain. Having never shot in that lighting situation, and not having much "prep time" I'd like some advice on how to shoot with my 5Dmiii that night. What ISO, speed, etc. I'd like the slower speed to get the movement of the torches down the run. Not sure how to put it all together, but I'm sure there are folks here that have done it successfully.
(probably the 24-105 f/4 IS L lens on it but might use the 70-300
...Show more

it depends on the variables, distance, how fast they will going down the hill, amount of light. if you're good at panning work use slower shutters speeds and lower ISO levels. But I would be sure to also get some sharp focused shots at a faster shutter speed and higher ISO

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:40 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski area: settings?

take a lens faster than the F4 or F5.6 combinations you list
F4 or F5.6 is very slow for night shooting forcing high ISO

lenses such as the Sigma 50mm F1.4, Sigma 85mm F1.4 would be ideal
also Canon 100mm F2, 135mm F2

you could shoot much lower ISO

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

janmcn
• •
p.1 #4 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski area: settings?

I'm figuring I'll be at the base of the mountain, just getting the overall view of the streaming lights…not individual types of shots…so it might be same/similar settings for fireworks? (No faster lens, and don't really want to get one just for that night…what I have works well for my shooting 98% of the time…then I rent.) ISO 100, MF, f/4- f/8, and several seconds exposure? (tripod and cable release)

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:24 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski area: settings?

You can always rent a lens if you don't want to shell out the money to purchase a new one just for that night. Or judging from your profile, you could use your 50mm since that seems to be the fastest lens in your bag. Otherwise, depending on how bright the parade is, you should probably expect to bump your ISO up to possibly 1600 (possibly higher) depending on the lighting. The brighter the town and lights are, you could probably shoot at 800. A tripod would help you a lot since you could keep the ISO down if you're shooting with a fast lens. A cable release would be a nice idea too to reduce any camera shake.

-Nick

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:32 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Shooting "Torch Parade with Fireworks" at ski area: settings?

The good news is that the little screen on the back of the camera can help you zone in on the right settings, but as a starting point I would try the 24-105 with IS on at f/4, 1/20, and ISO 6400. If all you want to see is the path of the torches with a trail, then you might be able to cut ISO down to 3200 or 1600, but to get the visible trails you'll need a longer exposure. You'll need to brace yourself at that point. I would also suggest trying to get shots where you can see the skiers as the get close to you by upping the ISO and/or using flash - but to keep from blinding them hit them from the side with a speedlite. If you do plan to use the flash, set power manually and enable the second curtain sync, and then using a slower exposure (1/20 or so) and medium ISO (1600/3200) you'll get a nice flame trail and a stop-action of the skier

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password