Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

NygaardDK

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

I just borrowed an Eye-Fi card (Sandisk Eye-Fi Pro X2, 8gb) to use in my Canon 1ds mk2, primarily to stream small jpegs for preview to my iphone since the screen on the cam is pretty crappy.

I got the card set up on the computer last night and took a few shots with it in the camera. My problem is the range - I find it hard to get a decent Wi-fi connection to my Iphone any further than 1 meter away from the camera. I have tested it indoors at two different places now, and the result is the same - here at my office there arenīt any wireless transmissions to interfere, so this canīt be the issue.

Canīt I expect any better with this camera? It is bit better sealed than most other cameres.

I have borrowed the card for a few days to test it, and since the owner isnīt using it I can buy it for around 20$ which is fairly cheap compared to a new one.

The question is - would I get any better results by throwing 70$ after a new Mobile X2 card?

Kind regards

Christian

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:07 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

Ive got the EyeFi Pro X2 8gb card, too, but mine doesn't have a Sandisk label anywhere on it. Assuming it's the same card, though, performance on mine is better than you describe in my 1Ds2 and 1D2n. I'm sending the files to my Apple Time Capsule router, not my iPhone, so perhaps that acccounts for the difference. I can't say I've ever tested the absolute distance. but it seems to work OK from 15 or 20 feet away in either body.

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:59 AM
NygaardDK

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

Once I move the camera and the phone more than three feet apart, the signal bar on the phone drops from between two and three bars (three = max) to between one and zero. The camera transfers the files once i get into close distance again - but thought it would be more convenient.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:48 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

I tried my Eye-Fi Pro X2 in my 1DsIII and my iphone 4s....no problem with the iphone and EyeFI finding each other. Distance was about 15 feet, indoors. I made sure that my iphone was not connected to another network wireless signal, if it is, nearly impossible to dislodge the other signal with EyeFi signal.

No problem with the phone signal tied in......

If you really want to get some distance and not worry about it, go with CamRanger, it has a true WiFI signal and you can lock your iphone or ipad directly into the network and have it stick to it. They advertise up to 150 feet......

I have both and depending on what I want to do would dictate which device I would use....they are different and to me they have different purposes......

good luck

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

NygaardDK

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

firstgear99 wrote:
I tried my Eye-Fi Pro X2 in my 1DsIII and my iphone 4s....no problem with the iphone and EyeFI finding each other. Distance was about 15 feet, indoors. I made sure that my iphone was not connected to another network wireless signal, if it is, nearly impossible to dislodge the other signal with EyeFi signal.

No problem with the phone signal tied in......

If you really want to get some distance and not worry about it, go with CamRanger, it has a true WiFI signal and you can lock your iphone or ipad directly into the network and have it stick to
...Show more

Cam ranger looks cool, quite a different price though.

By doing some tweaks in the settings I have managed to keep the network running instead of shutting down every time connection is lost. I still find it difficult to get more than half the distance you describe!

Could the card be a 'bad copy'? Haven't bought it yet, I can still return it to the owner and buy a new instead.

Dec 01, 2012 at 06:41 AM
mawyatt

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

Does this Eye-Fi card work with the iPad without a local WiFi connection? In other words, can someone get the images to upload to the iPad in the field away from direct WiFi?

Thanks,

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:18 PM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

firstgear99:

Thank you for the information about the Camranger. I think it is a far greater value then the WiFi card.

http://www.camranger.com/

Thanks for sharing.

Dec 01, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eye-fi with 1ds2

I don't know if CamRanger will work on a 1DsmkII USB port as it may not have the proper USB port. From DPR:

"On the right side of the camera (from the rear) are two rubber doors which can be opened and rotated 180 degrees (as shown here). They cover the PC sync terminal (flash), remote terminal, video out, IEEE 1394 (Firewire) and USB 1.1 port. Canon indicate that the USB port is only intended for direct printing, however it would have been nice to have a proper Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port there as an option for image transfer. "

The 1DsII is not on the list of supported cameras on the CamRanger site.
Mike K

Dec 01, 2012 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password