Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter o...

misanthropic a
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

So my faithful D300 had a fairly violent death at the hands of a vengeful river and now that I have gotten my insurance settlement, if there was ever a time to switch it would be now. If I stick with Nikon, the body would be a D7000 as I really want to shrink the size of the body without losing a ton of functions.
I have been looking into the OM-D and it greatly intrigues me as it is so small yet so incredibly feature packed and powerful.
My current thought process would be to sell of my remaining 2 lens' and pick up equiv lens options in m4/3.
Here are my focal lengths that I would like (35mm equiv)
14-18mm+ zoom
35mm
50mm
75-85mm
Here are my questions for folks that might have done this or already bought some of this.
I am a massive fan of UWA, so which route would you go? Panny 7-14 or the Oly 9-18. I rarely shoot in anything but daylight so the constant F4 is moot in my eyes.
I am a die-hard fan of hte 35mm FL, so the 17mm lens' would seem to be right up my alley. Which one is the better performer though, the 1.8 or the 2.8?
PL 25mm 1.4 is a given here.
Is there anything around 75-85mm range? Autofocus would be preferred, but I have heard good things about the Nokton 40mm 1.4.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:15 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

UWA: No question, the 7-14. The 9-18's a good lens but not enough cheaper to pick over the better 7-14 unless you need a filter thread.

35mm: 17/1.8. The 2.8's not really worth buying (it's mediocre at best, a dog by the standards of the system) and the 17.5/0.95 is expensive, not coupled and no AF.
50mm: 25/1.4. It's the only option.
75-85mm: Oly 45/1.8, one of the best lenses in the system, inexpensive and over a stop faster than the PanaLeica 45/2.8 OIS Macro (which is a very good lens as well, but not the value proposition of the 45/1.8)

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:20 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Yup: Panasonic 7-14 (awesome lens), Oly 17/1.8, PanaLeica 25/1.4 (absolutely phenomenal) and Oly 45/1.8 (excellent lens).

If you like a little longer lens as well, consider the Oly 75/1.8, which is probably the best lens in the system, and is absolutely stunning. Blisteringly sharp from extreme corner to corner, gorgeous bokeh, rich color and great build. But, you have to like the 150mm focal length. I do, so it's good.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:49 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

7-14 if you don't use filter, 9-18 if you do.

adapted lens does not perform as well on m4/3 as native lens, the 45/1.8 is cheaper than 40/1.4, not to mention AF, shorter minimal focus distance, I think it is also sharper and have better bokeh.

I think you are all set

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:49 AM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

I've ranted against the OM-D before (search my posts), but have tempered it now that I've put a few thousand more shots through it. Still, I believe the D7000 is a better camera for the money (mainly some of the controls are chintzy and have problems). However, it's small: whereas a DX kit with even a 55-200, 35mm f/1.8 and wide zoom with accessories will take up half a carry-on bag, a similar OM-D kit is less than half the bulk, and feels more portable.

+1 to "7-14 if you don't use filter, 9-18 if you do". I can't add anything else to whatever's been said, except that if you like manual focus (very useful with the OM-D's pseudo focus peaking and with its magnification) the Voightlander 25mm f/0.95 is awesome too. As mentioned in another thread, it's wicked sharp once you get to f/1.4 or f/2 - better than any other m4/3 lens I have -, excellent bokeh, and excellent controls.

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:13 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

OMD kit to fit your needs:

1). 9-18 instead of the 7-14, unless people have solved the sensor reflection problem the 7-14 has.

2). Oly 17/1.8. Should be fantastic.

3). PanLeica 25/1.4. Stellar lens.

4). Oly 45/1.8. Glowing reviews all around. I haven't used it, but it sounds wonderful.

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:58 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

As a former D7000 owner, I would never get that camera over the OM-D. Might as well get a D600 instead of a D7000.

Consider the Oly 12mm F2. Very interesting lens.

The only problem with the 9-18 is that for it's price, it doesn't feel premium although the optical quality is very good.

I would also take a look at the Oly 60mm F2.8 over the 45mm F1.8.

It's slower in all respects but it's one of the best lenses out today under $1000.

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:36 PM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

For 75-85mm, the 45mm f1.8 is pretty much the only native AF available option at this point. However, Panasonic is supposed to come out with a 42.5mm f1.2 O.I.S lens sometime in 2013 though most likely that won't be as inexpensive as the 45mm f1.8.

For more info on a D7000 and OM-D comparison, I was able to find this.
http://www.photographyblog.com/articles/head_to_head_review_olympus_om-d_e-m5_v_nikon_d7000

Nov 29, 2012 at 02:47 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

FlyPenFly wrote:
As a former D7000 owner, I would never get that camera over the OM-D. Might as well get a D600 instead of a D7000.

Personally, i LOVED the D7000, but find the only area it falls behind the OM-D is *native* lens selection/price/availability.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:50 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Yeah, there's very little to not like about the D7000. It's a highly competent camera with no flaws. I would recommend it without hesitation.

But it's kind of like a Camry or Accord compared to the Miata that is the OM-D.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dino8031

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

The 7/14 is a much better lens then the 9/18, but it's impossible to put filters on it and it's WAY bigger then the 9/18 which is small and light, but feels a little cheap for a $600 lens. I'm a big fan of keeping the whole system small, which pretty much rules out the 7/14 for me. I went with the 9/18 but it's nowhere near as good as a Canon 10-22, which is the only other UWA I've used.

The 25 and 45 are both stellar. Quiet, fast, very sharp.

You might also look at the Panny 20mm. It's a little slow to focus, but I love the Focal length and size on the OMD. Optically I think it's very close to the 25mm, but a lot of people disagree with me.

I never liked the 17mm pancake. I think the 14 is a much better lens.

The OMD is a great little camera, but it's small size and controls take a bit of getting used it. The thing I miss the most about DSLR's is the optical viewfinder and of course an auto-focus system that will actually focus accurately on moving objects. That being said, I'll probably never go back just because I love the portability of the m4/3 system so much. I guarantee you will LOVE the in-body image stabilization. It's really great.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:43 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

dino, Oly has a new 17mm f1.8 coming out. Not the old pancake.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:19 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

I can't imagine going from a D300 (or even D7000) to an EM-5. Especially if you regularly shoot as rough and tumble as your D300's death suggests.

How much have you used one? The image quality is great, almost as good as the NEX-7 (no competition for a DSLR, of course), but absolutely everything else...

EVF resolution sucks. EVF framerate sucks (even when you switch out of the inexplicably-default "low framerate mode"). Shutter lag sucks (even if you turn image review off, you have to look at your shot for half a second or so before you return to live monitoring, very jarring). Grip material sucks (basically hard plastic). Ergonomics suck (very few buttons are reachable from a strong shooting position). Tripod thread sucks (off image axis). Tilting screen sucks (difficult to move). Buttons suck (so tiny I have to press everything but the shutter with a fingernail). Battery meter sucks (only appears while camera is starting up). Weight sucks (so light that vibration is out of control and you need triple the shutter speeds you would with a D300).

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:52 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Wow did OM-D do something to you ?. Maybe you should call it OM-SUCKS

Lee Saxon wrote:
I can't imagine going from a D300 (or even D7000) to an EM-5. Especially if you regularly shoot as rough and tumble as your D300's death suggests.

How much have you used one? The image quality is great, almost as good as the NEX-7 (no competition for a DSLR, of course), but absolutely everything else...

EVF resolution sucks. EVF framerate sucks (even when you switch out of the inexplicably-default "low framerate mode"). Shutter lag sucks (even if you turn image review off, you have to look at your shot for half a second or so before you return to live monitoring,
...Show more

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Lee Saxon wrote:

Wow. Your list below makes zero sense and makes me think that either A) you've never actually used an OM-D or B) You used one for 3 minutes. Let's go by point:

EVF resolution sucks.
Um...if you say so. It's quite high resolution. Not quite as high as the NEX-7, but damn near indistinguishable to my eyes. Based on the point below, I think you probably had 'high refresh' on, which is a crappy setting...it drastically reduces EVF resolution.

EVF framerate sucks (even when you switch out of the inexplicably-default "low framerate mode").
Actually, I find the OM-D's EVF framerate to be the best of any EVF I've ever used. It's MUCH, MUCH better than the NEX-7's EVF in low light, both in noise and lag. In fact, it's extremely good in low light and doesn't lag at all. I have no idea what you're talking about here.

Shutter lag sucks (even if you turn image review off, you have to look at your shot for half a second or so before you return to live monitoring, very jarring)
This is flat out false. If you turn off image review, you don't need to look at your shot at all....there is about a 0.1 second EVF blackout...about what the average DSLR blacks out for on the mirror. If you were still reviewing images after every shot, you had the setting set wrong.

Grip material sucks (basically hard plastic). Ergonomics suck (very few buttons are reachable from a strong shooting position). Tripod thread sucks (off image axis). Tilting screen sucks (difficult to move). Buttons suck (so tiny I have to press everything but the shutter with a fingernail). Battery meter sucks (only appears while camera is starting up). Weight sucks (so light that vibration is out of control and you need triple the shutter speeds you would with a D300).

Now you're just trolling. It's fine you don't like the camera, but you're overstating just a bit here. Ok...a lot more than a bit.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:59 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Yeah, he's way out in left field (of reality) with most of those. Well, actually all of them...

Maybe he's comparing it to a D4 or a 1Dx or something?

I can agree with him that's it's too light... But that doesn't cause shutter-shake nor require higher shutter speeds. <shrug>

Oh well... It would be interesting to hear his justifications for those opinions tho.

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:54 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Bifurcator wrote:
Maybe he's comparing it to a D4 or a 1Dx or something?

I was comparing it to a D300.

There's no doubt the EM-5 is awesome for what it is (a fun little camera to carry around in your pocket or keep in your bag as an emergency back-up). In fact, I almost bought one for that purpose but decided I liked the NEX a bit more.

But that's not what the OP was interested in. He was considering it as a full-time replacement for a D300. The EM-5 isn't up to that task in the best of circumstances, and certainly not for a photographer who destroys tough-as-nails D300s!! He needed to know.

It's fine if you and the poster before you disagree with my judgement. But I'd appreciate not being called a troll and such.

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:26 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

Well...we respond better to more reasoned arguments, while your assessment comes across as a trashing. I mean, come on...you were saying you need triple the shutter speed on the OM-D? Did you forget the in-body IS, that happens to be utterly fantastic? I don't think he'd be hand-holding a 24mm equivalent lens on his D300 at 0.4 seconds and getting sharp shots...while I can do that on the OM-D with ease.

I would certainly disagree with your assessment that it's not up to the task of replacing a D300. Unless you're shooting sports, there's no reason it couldn't. For me, it (along with the GH2 and GX1) replaced my Canon kit. I was shooting a 1Ds Mark II with L glass before switching. I'm MUCH happier with my current kit, and I give up VERY little in image quality. In this case, he's getting better image quality. In fact, the OM-D is better in every way than the D300 in image quality. It's weathersealed, has blazing fast single shot AF, etc. Now....shooting sports? not going to work. Other than that? It's plenty good enough.

Now, obviously not everyone will like the camera. I understand the ergonomic argument - it won't feel good to everyone. I also get that some people need a larger sensor, or continuous AF, or other concessions. I just found some inaccuracies and perceived embellishments in your assessment.

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:31 AM
Jim60D

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

dino8031 wrote:
The 7/14 is a much better lens than the 9/18, but it's impossible to put filters on it ...

I do not own the Panasonic MFT 7-14mm zoom but I did look into the filter question since someday I might own it. There are ways to put a filter on it. None of them are small. The commercial one is rather spendy but some do-it-yourself methods less so.

Commercial: WonderPana 66 System from Fotodiox

Do-It-Yourself approaches:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/panasonic/844274-lumix-7-14mm-wa-lens-filter-adaptor.html
http://www.mu-43.com/f38/using-filters-7-14mm-problem-solved-28762/index2.html
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2762106#forum-post-34694117
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2704704#forum-post-33802447

Edited on Nov 30, 2012 at 05:35 AM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2012 at 04:59 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thinking about moving to an OM-D ... Ways to put filter on Pana 7-14mm

An omd can easily replace a d300. A d300 can't match up to an omd in several respects. About the only advantage the d300 has is CLS and CAF. Oh and I suppose a OVF if you still want one of those.

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:29 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password