Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Just for fun

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just for fun

This is the spot I was scouting. Trying to find access to the waters edge which is not easy on this lake. This is a bit further south than I wanted but the only place I can get close to the water and have a reflection without lots of land, roads and homes intrude.

The idea is to do a full moonlit image tomorrow around 5:30AM. Hopefully the smog will be gone.

This is an 11 image stitch using 70mm vertically and lots of overlap. The final image is 18122 wide.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:17 PM
HiredGoon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just for fun

Nice ... whenever I went to Utah Lake there was wind so I could not get the kind of reflections you are getting here.

Where is the moon expected to be in this image when you take the next shot?

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just for fun

The moon will be behind my back when I am pointing at Spanish Fork, which is that center mountain. I don't want the moon in my shot, just its light. Those foothills at the south of the lake sort of block the view. My sunset was closer to Pelican Point.

To do night shots I need a 16mm lens to get a star freezing exposure at 30 seconds. I want to try my new 16-35 f2.8, but will probably end up with the 17TSE at f4. The shift allows me to include more sky without a severe uptilt of the lens.

16mm is just slightly narrower than this shot. It looks like I may have some clouds.

This is a 3/4 mile dirt road that is as bad as the road to Silver Lake Flats. I hope I can do it in the dark. It will be cold too, but no snow.

No wind probably means smog.

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just for fun

Geoff, I looked for that park you mentioned for a view of Timp, could not find it. Is it near the turn off to Eagle Mountain?

I did find the road to Israel Canyon which gets you high and offers a pretty good view of Timp.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:12 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just for fun

Looks really promising. Good luck, hopefully you'll get an amazing sunrise as well!

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just for fun

+1 @ looking forward to see how it goes.

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just for fun

Here is one shot from this morning. A bit too cloudy for best stars. Also this location is a bit further south than I would like to be. But I could only find one access further north and it was chocked with brush at lakeside.

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    30s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:37 PM
HiredGoon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just for fun

ben egbert wrote:
Geoff, I looked for that park you mentioned for a view of Timp, could not find it. Is it near the turn off to Eagle Mountain?

The park is at Saratoga Springs, on the northern end of Centennial Drive. Although it would look better when the trees have foliage, to use as framing.

I did find the road to Israel Canyon which gets you high and offers a pretty good view of Timp.

If you are really adventurous you would drive to the top of Lake Mountain (to the communications tower) to get a very high view of the lake and the mountains. Although the drive is worse than the road to Silver Lake Flat.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just for fun

Really nice, Ben!

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:58 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just for fun

Thanks Geoff, I will look for it. The street mane really helps. I have found that staying close to the shore is best because it is a wide lake and I find myself using 70mm even at the shore.

gneto, thanks for your comments.

I have more, but I think they are presentation stuff so I will not post them here. Maybe at Landscape in a few weeks.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password