Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

rddayton
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Started working on this project for a local high school before Thanksgiving. There were some great suggestions from some really talented people on the board. Here is what I have so far. Banquet is coming up next week, but I would welcome your suggestions and comments on ways to make it better before sending it to the lab to be printed.

Thanks for checking it out. Rick

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Rick,

Nice pics for the poster.

One question I have is if the posters are all for just the seniors. If so, I might do away with the "Senior Season" since it is implied with the "Class of 2013". Also, maybe incorporate their school logo under the "Class of 2013". Just my .02.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Rick:

I like the basic design, I like the simplicity and I like the emphasis on a strong photo. I'd like to see just a bit more work with the fonts (play with the layer styles to give these more depth and/or set them apart better from their respective backgrounds. I don't thik the number needs the glow around it (though a stroke or drop shadow might be fine). I'm not sure what I think about the "Class of 2013 Senior Season" emblem. Right now, it looks sort of like a stamp. Either it's important enough to warrant more emphasis, or it isn't necessary, but as it stands, it's kind of in-between. Any chance you could incorporate this into the blue band running along the left side, along with the name?, or under the position text?

Don't get me wrong--these look good. But now you're to the point where the tweaking can go on for a long time, any of which is only like to bring you a few percentage points closer to perfect.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:55 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

I like the idea of going with the logo instead of senior season do you have easy access to a high res logo?

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

I think Russ is on to something with his statement about the 2013 text looking like a stamp. Maybe you could run with that - incorporate a 'seal' looking graphic in the upper right corner, have it spill off the edges of the print, rotate the text about 15 degrees CW... Just imagine the print getting an actual stamp/seal of approval... Add a metal type texture, inner embossing, etc.

In my opinion, I would like to see the entire print stroked with the same blue that's on the left in about 3 pixel weight. Just to tie it all together, add balance. I also think the text of the players names is very hard to read. Maybe try rotating the text 90 degrees CW and have it read down the side?

Anyways, these are nothing more than constructive thoughts, just some ideas to think about.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:22 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Yeah, I forgot to add that a bit more bordering of the different pieces of the poster would add to the overall feel. Here's a quick edit, limited of course by the fact I only have the one layer to work with (I'd lower the opacity of the stroke along the top of the horizontal band with the number and position). I've added a few strokes and I also have changed the blue in the bar to the blue of the helmet. Can you get the number's color closer to the uni gold?

http://www.russisabellaphotography.com/Rick.jpg

Looking at both, your blues may match already. When I copied it into photoshop, the two blues didn't seem the same.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Next39
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Here's a super quickie representation of a few of my thoughts. Obviously the fonts and font colors would tie together better, but you get the idea.

http://www.gulbransonphoto.com/temp/Rick-card.jpg

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:01 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Gentlemen,

All I have to say is you are amazing. In less than three hours, the responses have been remarkable. Hopefully, this is what you are talking about. Love the idea of a "Stamp" in the upper corner of the poster -- and agree 100% with the rotation of the font down the left side. Much easier to read. Don't know that I am crazy about the font, but that is an easy fix.

Any way....here's what I have come up with.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:57 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Fish On wrote:
Rick,

Nice pics for the poster.

One question I have is if the posters are all for just the seniors. If so, I might do away with the "Senior Season" since it is implied with the "Class of 2013". Also, maybe incorporate their school logo under the "Class of 2013". Just my .02.

Jerry,

You got things rolling with your comment on the Class of 13. Each of the 15 seniors will receive a poster with their individual photo on it. Lots of work, but it's nice to have a big order before basketball gets rolling, too.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Looks great, Rick! Nice work. They'll be a big hit.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

I agree the last one looks great. My only comment is that the new senior season logo (Stamp) is very close to the edge and might be clipped when printed or if framed might be covered by the frame or matting.

Bill

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:05 AM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Russ Isabella wrote:
Looks great, Rick! Nice work. They'll be a big hit.

Thank you Russ -- and thanks for the inspiration from the poster you did for East High School a couple years ago.

BillP57 wrote:
I agree the last one looks great. My only comment is that the new senior season logo (Stamp) is very close to the edge and might be clipped when printed or if framed might be covered by the frame or matting.

Bill

Bill,

That is a great point. I woondered about that -- specifically if the year 2013 were to get chopped off, it would lose a critical piece of information. Think I will keep it twisted 15 or 20 degrees but bring it back within the confines of the poster.

Rick

Edited on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:05 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

I like the rework, yup, you want to leave some room for bleed at the edges so definitely pull the 'stamp' in a bit, like within the border.

Chris

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:56 AM
pharmasea
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Great work on the poster. I just remember wrestling against Hampton growing up in the Burg and they always beat our butts.

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:12 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Aqualung wrote:
I like the rework, yup, you want to leave some room for bleed at the edges so definitely pull the 'stamp' in a bit, like within the border.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Made the changes in the stamp -- see below.

pharmasea wrote:
Great work on the poster. I just remember wrestling against Hampton growing up in the Burg and they always beat our butts.

Kind of funny because I remember growing up around here how those guys used to wear t-shirts that said "I would rather wrestle and lose than play basketball."

Glad you like the poster. It's been a ton of work, but I have learned so much that it is well worth it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Here we go....think this is the version that I am going to send to the printer. Picked a different picture of the same player. It is not a full body shot, but it cleans up the background without cloning out ton of stuff. Kind of like the "ini-your-face" feel of it too. Again, many thanks to all of you who lent your expertice and wisdom.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Personally, I like the prior photo better than this shot. I think the prior shot would look good cutout, removing the background and have the runners left leg over the running back text giving it that isolated 3D look to it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Actually Mark, I think you are right. t. My plan in the morning is to cut-out the player, desaturated the background just a touch and clone a couple of items and then call it a day. 1 down, 14 to go!

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

Rick, IMO going bigger and tighter usually ends up being an improvement, which I think your latest version shows. The poster would probably get the same benefit if you did the same with your other shot as well (if you decided to go with that one). Only nit on this version is that the blue leather texture is looking too purple at the moment- I'd do everything I could to get it very close to the blue in the adjacent text box...

Looks great- print it, the kid will love it.

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:04 AM
ALEX88MAC

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · HS Football Senior Poster C&C Please

i would put the team's nickname on their instead of "senior season"

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:40 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.