Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

bvphotos
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

I have the 50D and 5Dc. I love the latter, but I understood all the complaints about its AF system a few days ago when I shot at a relative's wedding. The AF system failed me on a number of occasions. The 50D's AF system, on the other hand, is much better.

So, I'm considering upgrading from 5Dc. I know that 5D III would be a no-brainer, but as a serious amateur, I can't justify the price for what I'm going to use it for. Is the 9-pt AF on 5D II comparable to the one on the 50D, particularly the outer points. If so, I think I can persuade myself to buy that (new or used) as a replacement for my 5Dc. The alternative would be the 6D, but since it's not out yet, we don't know how it will behave in the real world.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:56 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

I did not own a 5D. But I owned a 50D and own a 5D II now. Both are excellent cameras. But I use(d) center AF point only/most, so I can not really say something about the outer points. I can say 6Ds outer points worked more reliable than my 5D II ones.

If you can wait, wait. It is just a couple of days now to see how 6Ds work in the real world. Sometimes I wish I would have taken the blue pill and not have see into the rabbit hole ...

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

I owned the 5D and 50D and still shoot with a 5D2. I found the center point of the 5D2 to be better than the 50D for both single shot and AI Servo (with 6 assist points engaged). Unfortunately 5D2 outer points are not nearly as good as the 50D. In fact, 5D/5D2 outer points are almost the same. True the 5D2 has a faster processor and minor algorithm tweaks to AF, so I found it marginally better than my 5D, but nothing to crow about. For one lens in particular, EF 50 1.2L, the outer points worked much better on my 5D2 vs 5D. Couldn't tell much of a difference for any of my others optics. Realize the outer points of the 50D are crosses and are more reliable than the single axis outer points of both the 5D and 5D2.

If you want better off-center AF for FF, you need to invest in a 5D3 or 1Ds/x series

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

Unfortunately you won't find the 5DII outer points to be much better than 5Dc. Though if you have a flash mounted then using the focus assist on that seems to help a lot with the outer points AF on 5Dc and 5DII.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

curious80 wrote:
Unfortunately you won't find the 5DII outer points to be much better than 5Dc. Though if you have a flash mounted then using the focus assist on that seems to help a lot with the outer points AF on 5Dc and 5DII.

If you have a Speedlite with 9-point compatible AF assist light, the 5D2 will AF a blank white wall in total darkness. The gotcha is the AF assist light is weaker around towards the edges, so the center point will be good to 25 feet or so but the outer points 15 or 16 feet.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

bvphotos wrote:
I have the 50D and 5Dc. I love the latter, but I understood all the complaints about its AF system a few days ago when I shot at a relative's wedding. The AF system failed me on a number of occasions. The 50D's AF system, on the other hand, is much better.

So, I'm considering upgrading from 5Dc. I know that 5D III would be a no-brainer, but as a serious amateur, I can't justify the price for what I'm going to use it for. Is the 9-pt AF on 5D II comparable to the one on the 50D, particularly
...Show more

Personally I thought the 5D2 (supposed to be pretty similar to the 5Dc AF) center point was easily better than the 50D center point and I am talking either one shot or AI Servo tracking. I thought the 5D2 outer points were a bit more precise too.... when they actually locked, which admittedly was quite a bit less often than on the 50D and they did so more slowly when they did too so overall I'd give the outer points to the 50D but easily the center point to the 5D2. But many say the 5D2 AF is pretty similar to the 5Dc, a few say it seems may be tweaked a bit better.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM
bvphotos
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

Thanks for all your responses. What I'm hearing is that 5D II AF is not much better than 5Dc. In that case I'll wait for the 6D and reassess the situation then.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:06 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D II AF system compared to 50D

bvphotos wrote:
Thanks for all your responses. What I'm hearing is that 5D II AF is not much better than 5Dc. In that case I'll wait for the 6D and reassess the situation then.

Save yourself almost $1000 to pick up a CLP 5D2 plus Eg-S focusing screen. It is better than any AF system for most fast lenses. I use focusing screen to monitor the focal plan then adjust arcordingly after 5D2 AFed. Every shot from 5D2 is now tack sharp at f1.2 you can upgrade your 5Dc AF with focusing screen as well.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password