Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Avignon

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Avignon

So I had this one chance to visit Avignon (France) two weeks ago. I did some very basic research using google, basically typed "Avignon" then searched for images, and decided I'd take a shot like this one, showing the bridge and the Palais des Papes in the back - it really is a nice angle, and probably has been photographed to death.

Even tough I waited, the sun decided to set behind a layer of clouds, so this was the best light I got there.

Looking for feedback on the image, feel free to make a new version if you feel like it. Also, I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid here, but I think there is some really odd distortion going on, tried to correct it a little bit (yes the lens was tilted upwards), is it noticeable?

Nikon D3100 + AF-S 35mm f/1.8: 35mm F/5, ISO 100, 1/200 sec

SOOC

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Avignon

I think your original process is pretty good a bit warm for my taste but still very good. I am very sensitive to distortion but this looks fine to me.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:59 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Avignon

Yeah, I tend to make things too warm quite frequently...

How about now?

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Avignon

Better, but this is to taste and mine is definitely off.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Avignon

ben egbert wrote:
I think your original process is pretty good a bit warm for my taste but still very good. I am very sensitive to distortion but this looks fine to me.

+1

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Avignon

I think its fine, preferring the second.
If I were keeping, printing this one I would clone out the blue car.
Scott

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 AM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Avignon

#1 is too much but #2 is too little. I think #3 is just about right.

Nov 28, 2012 at 02:21 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Avignon

I should clarify. I prefer the second PROCESSED image, not the SOOC.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Avignon

A lovely scene ...maybe someday I'll get to Europe. Till then, vicariously it is.

It still looks a little "overcooked", particularly noticing the blue sky and maybe just a touch in the warmer tones. I think the warmer tones can tolerate it well enough, because we can envision the "golden hour" sun beaming upon the stone. But, the hue of the sky just looks a touch artificial to me (allowing for monitor variance) yet.

I think I like the sky of the first one, thinking that pulling back the saturation a bit in the warm tones is all it really needs. I'm guessing you shifted things in the second one, which while pulling back on the warm tones, it amped your cyan/blue ones when they didn't need it.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:53 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Avignon

Thank you all for the feedback: Ben, Scott, RustyBug and Lee Saxon.

Nice tip about cloning out the blue car, Scott. Yes I'm considering printing it for many reasons, the most important being it's a fantastic place and I'm really happy I was able to visit it! It's tourist mode kicking in But I'm also curious to see how this kind of image looks printed big. Don't know if I'll like the results or not...

Right on spot there RustyBug. After reading what you wrote I went back to check absolutely all of my sliders and found out I had vibrance on +35... shame on me. It kinda feels like when you shoot high ISO in the evening before, and forget to reset it to 100 the day after.

So here's the first version again, with vibrance set to 0. What do you all think?

EDIT: and here is it without people, birds & cars...

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Avignon

(still) looking good!
I was OK with the sky, BTW.
At this resolution the cloning looks good
How large are you going to print?
What is the file size in pixels?

and, unrelated, where are you from in Brasil?

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Avignon

sbeme wrote:
(still) looking good!
I was OK with the sky, BTW.
At this resolution the cloning looks good
How large are you going to print?
What is the file size in pixels?

and, unrelated, where are you from in Brasil?

Thanks!

4244 x 2387 pixels, I guess it should be pretty good @ 210DPI for a 20" (~51cm) print... even if I end up not framing/hanging it, I want to see how it's gonna look like, if the parts I cloned out will look 'odd', and so on - lets call it a scientific test

I don't own a printer, neither plan getting one, so I just order my prints from a store close to home. Still haven't framed anything, I should be framing 2 or 3 of my images in December so I gain some more experience with the printing & framing subject - having images on the screen is cool and all, but photography should be more than this.

I'm from Porto Alegre, a city in southern Brasil.

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Avignon

I like the vibrancy reduction changes (maybe some selective areas could tolerate a pinch here or there should you like). I think I'm torn at the cloning ... I like the people in it, but not the cars. Removing both makes it a bit "clinical", whereas the people add a certain (dare I say) "je ne sais quoi" to its mood and message of being such a lovely place.

At the risk of sounding "cheesy" ... I could explore / entertain deftly moving this one toward a painterly / watercolor vibe (judiciously, of course), reminiscent of "old world" artisan works (once the cars are gone) into a classic, timeless realm ... it is very close that "as is", so it would only be a very gentle / selective nudge (if at all).

Either way, you've got a nice shot here ... take your time with it and beyond the obvious "Hey, that's a nice pic." ... ask yourself what is the mood/point/message that you want to convey to your viewer (I lobby for the people sharing with each other the enjoyment of the beauty and serenity of such a special place) for your direction regarding finishing touches / final revisions, etc. You might let it sit for a bit, so it can resonate in your mind where you want to take the nuance.

Diggin' it.

Edited on Nov 28, 2012 at 01:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:06 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Avignon

Without seeing a full size image and carefully studying it, I would say you will be fine with a 20" long version.
Following on Kent's suggestion, if you go painterly you might also go matte paper or canvas.
Enjoy!
Scott

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:19 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Avignon

Scott and RustyBug (Kent?), thank you for your comments.

Good thoughts about leaving some people in the picture. Actually, without them it kinds of look like a ghost town... but I haven't made my mind yet. I just got carried away with the cloning, removing whatever I would put my eyes on... for example, the yellow sign under the closest of the bridge's arches (it probably looks more like a yellow brick in this resolution). The blue car was the trickiest for me to remove, as I didn't have many similar areas to clone from. Good thing it is a small detail lost in a huge image.

Rusty, I'm not sure if you have psychic powers or if this image strongly suggests it, but I've been longing for a "watercolor"-like version for this image from the first moment I've seen it on my computer screen. However, I don't really know how to do it

I'd love to receive some advice, if you have any suggestions on what software to use and/or any techniques. I'll obviously start looking for information using my dear friend google, but if I could get some pointers it would surely make my task a little bit less daunting.

Also, if you would be so kind as to process my image to showcase the effect, it would be really appreciated

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Avignon

Here's a stab at an interpretation (variants abound ad infinitum).

I'm just working in PS. The "watercolor" filter in PS is a bit too heavy handed for me, so this is a combination of motion blur @ the water (masked/blended), minimum sponge & sandstone texture overall and some gradient blending of the two, along with a bump in contrast afterwards.

Definitely an S&P to taste kinda thing that only you'll be able to decide where you take it. Hopefully, you can see some of the various attributes. I tried to remain somewhat subtle, yet also enough to make it visible how the character changes. This rendering is probably a bit of an oil / watercolor blend, due to the contrast boost, whereas a lesser contrast would be more pastel/watercolor-ish.

Definitely in the "making" vs. "taking" pictures territory ... i.e. you can make it what you want, to convey your message to your viewer.

Edited on Nov 28, 2012 at 03:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2012 at 02:59 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Avignon

Rusty, thanks for the example.

Well I'm gonna take some time to study what you did here and how to do it in photoshop. Thank you for listing the steps btw, as they will be used as a guideline for me to learn and replicate your effect.

Well I've got a long way to go with this image... sounds like fun

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Avignon

Yes, the exploration and learning can be quite enjoyable.

The "revisit" an image as you grow was something that I was fortunate to get a better concept of after visiting an Ansel Adams exhibit. There I saw the differences he rendered from the same negative as his skills and tastes developed / changed over the years. From this, I reinforced my perspective (in the realm of "art") that what comes out of the camera is only the starting point, not the final product.

A far cry from my youthful exaltation that "He cheats !!!" ... referring to his extensive darkroom techniques. I'd like to think I've "matured" a bit since then ... as the growth & learning continue, also to ad infinitum.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:13 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Avignon

Alternately, you could make a duplicate layer, apply the Pixel Bender Oil Painting filter and drop the opacity of the oil Paint layer to something around 80%:

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:37 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Avignon

However you end up doing it, the watercolor treatment will make this photo POP! I love the crop and composition, and honestly, I liked your first version on first look. But after seeing your revision, I agree that the first one was a bit too warm. This is a lovely image that definitely deserves to be printed and placed on a prominent wall!

Jo

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password