Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sensors

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sensors

Are all camera sensors from the same brand and make the "same" in terms of
sensitivity, or are they subject to subtle differences in terms of color since it is a man made
item subject to variances ? I ask this because I have three Canon cameras of
the same make and model and they all produce slightly different looking images
even though they are all set to the same settings.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sensors

Tolerances, I assume, would have an effect in images.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sensors

No they can all be a little different in colour response. The dyes used for the Bayer filter can vary between different camera models, so that's one source of difference. Also the profiles used by say DPP and LR will vary for each model producing a slightly different result.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:20 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sensors

Pixel Perfect wrote:
No they can all be a little different in colour response. The dyes used for the Bayer filter can vary between different camera models, so that's one source of difference. Also the profiles used by say DPP and LR will vary for each model producing a slightly different result.

Right but OP says he is getting slightly different results from 3 cameras of the same model. That can only be explained by random variations and tolerances.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sensors

misty23 wrote:
Are all camera sensors from the same brand and make the "same" in terms of
sensitivity, or are they subject to subtle differences in terms of color since it is a man made
item subject to variances ? I ask this because I have three Canon cameras of
the same make and model and they all produce slightly different looking images
even though they are all set to the same settings.

What is this camera?

Imo there will be tolerances on any batch. There are in case of many lenses I tested and worked with (except 70-200 4.0 L IS USM). There are so many electronic parts (with tolerances) in a camera, that have an influence to the sensor output, that I would not wonder one can see differences when comparing image results side by side.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:34 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sensors

You can use a colour profiling system like X-rite Passport ColorChecker to profile the camera & lens combo. Note that lenses also have slight colour casts.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sensors

curious80 wrote:
Right but OP says he is getting slightly different results from 3 cameras of the same model. That can only be explained by random variations and tolerances.

Ah, curious indeed.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:39 PM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sensors

Ive set all three cameras to the same settings, exactly, Shot some studio images using the same lighting setup. One camera is slightly warmer (red) and the other two are cooler, same lens, same everything. What would affect that ? The sensor or the cameras processing software ?

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sensors

Software will be identical, if you have the same firmware and the same settings (colorspace, saturation, contrast, exposure compensation, metering mode, custom white balance, and more). Are you processing the Raws in camera (direct to JPEG) or off camera (on a computer)? Is the processing identical?

If you have the same firmware version, then take both batteries out of all of the cameras (the rechargeable power battery and the small date-time battery) and leave them out overnight or for an hour or more. Turn the cameras on for a minute with both batteries out. Then turn them off and reinstall the batteries.

After resetting them like that, and with identical firmware versions, immediately take a pre-planned set of test shots without making settings. Compare those.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sensors

How about two shots back-to-back with the same camera? To distinguish between copy variation and shot variation.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Dan Martin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sensors

What lighting are you using?

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:39 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password