Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

tonykriegmaui
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

I shoot mostly landscapes and my camera history is 10D-20D-T2i(which I still have) and a new to me used 5D classic. I have had the 5D for about 6 months now and it's a great camera. My lenses are 24-105L 1.4, 50 1.4, 70-200L IS, 1.4 & 17-40L 1.4.

So I have come into some cash (around $1700) and would like some opinion from landscapers about which camera to upgrade (used?). I am NOT INTERESTED in video however, would any of the 1D MK?'s be better than the 5d MKii used? ..... especially in low light performance??

Ideas and responses much appreciated.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:09 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

tonykriegmaui wrote:
I shoot mostly landscapes and my camera history is 10D-20D-T2i(which I still have) and a new to me used 5D classic. I have had the 5D for about 6 months now and it's a great camera. My lenses are 24-105L 1.4, 50 1.4, 70-200L IS, 1.4 & 17-40L 1.4.

So I have come into some cash (around $1700) and would like some opinion from landscapers about which camera to upgrade (used?). I am NOT INTERESTED in video however, would any of the 1D MK?'s be better than the 5d MKii used? ..... especially in low light performance??

First, you have a fine core set of lenses for doing landscape photography (but not "landscaping" - that requires yard tools! ;-), so you are set in that regard.

You mention that the 5D is a "great camera" for your purposes. Indeed, it is a fine camera, and a first question might be "what, besides having funds, is your reason for replacing it?"

Do you have all of the other things you might need for your landscape photography? How about an excellent tripod and head? If you aren't already using one, then the image quality potential for this kind of photography will not be realized, even with a higher MP camera, until you start using a tripod, and the quality of images from the "great camera" you currently use will be even greater with a great tripod and head.

Although you'll hear a few people extolling older used 1Ds (though not typically 1D) series bodies for landscape on account of their more studly build for the most part, the 5D bodies produce the same image quality as the comparable 1Ds bodies - and you probably don't need the additional bulk and weight for this sort of shooting. If you are going to replace or augment your 5D with another full frame body, for the sort of work you describe, the 5DII Is excellent.

Dan

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:16 PM
safcraft
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

Spend the money on glass

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:47 PM
jstntym
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

I would really consider the 5D MkII new. I recently saw a few ads and if I remember it was running around $1799 body only. Having had one in the recent past I'd say it would be a very useable body for your uses, it's a great camera and yielded many great exposures for me IQ-wise it's almost identical to the 5D MkIII. Seems that you have a few nice lenses for the job currently.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:01 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

tony,

good to see a guy from da aina on here. born and raised in kailua (oahu) myself. I don't do a ton of landscape, but I think the 5dii would be a nice improvement over the 5d classic and for your use there is really no reason to look at a 5diii as IQ especially if you shoot in RAW is a toss up as best. Id shy away from the 1d series unless you need the weather sealing simply due to the extra weight and maybe needing a beefier tripod to hold one of those beasts. I do like the suggestion of new glass, you have just about everything covered from a landscape perspective except the ultra wide, maybe look into renting a 5dii and maybe the 8-15L and see if one or the other floats your boat.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

1Ds MK2 is good choice I think as its not downgrade from IQ point of view from 5D

Or continue savings and buy..

TS-E 17 or 24

Concerning your question about 1D, well 1DMK3 actually isnt bad for this, but you loose few mpix. If its worth it or not, its up to you. You will gain improvement in every aspect except mpix and sensor size.

Ofc if you like lightweight, there are things like NEX-7, which at base ISO is really really good (more mpix, much better DR, nice colors - but smaller sensor). Its possible to pair it with Canon lens via Metabones adapter, not exactly super useful for general use, but pretty good for landscapes. 17 TS-E is nothing short of amazing on it.

http://verybiglobo.blogspot.cz/2012/02/nex-7-canon-ts-e-17-f4-l.html

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 07:17 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:13 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

tonykriegmaui wrote:

Ideas and responses
...Show more

This is really easy to answer. Get a 5D2. No question. Best Image Quality for the money and even at any price in a Canon DSLR there is nothing significantly better.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

5DII.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:18 PM
rsk7
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

I wouldn't go with TSE on a 5D. TSE are tricky to focus and with no live view even with the manual focus screen in it is really difficult.

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

5D2

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

To play devils advocate - If you are happy with the 5D, why not save the money? No need to upgrade just for the sake of it.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:07 PM
george malamis
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

For landscapes on a 5D the tilt shift lenses are very easy to use and focus confirmation works so don't be afraid there.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

george malamis wrote:
For landscapes on a 5D the tilt shift lenses are very easy to use and focus confirmation works so don't be afraid there.

Not in low light.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:18 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

You have everything you need for wonderful landscapes already unless you plan on purchasing a tilt shift lens. However, a 5D II and a tilt shift lens is way over your budget.
I'd take what money you have and put it towards a nice vacation where you can take great photos and have fun! I do not see the 1Ds series having an advantage in landscape photography unless you expect to be in harsh outdoor environments.

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:30 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

I have the 5DII and the 5D. I prefer my Leica. No, ok, the 5D for people but I like the better higher ISO of the 5DII but to me, it is more digital looking. It depends upon how high an ISO. If using a tripod, then 5D should be fine. Here is a recent 5DII shot.

http://www.pbase.com/jamato8/image/147347998

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:46 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

As a low end upgrade option I'd think the 6D would be perfect, but IMHO your 5D is absolutely unbeatable at lower ISOs. Pro Bodies like the 1DMkIIN share the same size pixels and their look is simply fantastic.

I'm moving to FF via the 6D next year but it's a cost issue for me as a hobbyist. If I were a Pro and printed BIG it would be a 5D2, 5D3 or I'd wait for the next (rumored) high MP body.

The Canon Loyalty Program quoted me $1350 for a refurbished 5D2 with 90-day warranty, with my old A95 P&S as a trade-in. I'm waiting for full reviews of the 6D before I jump into FF. But I'm not ruling out the 5D2, a referb at that price can get me one fine FF body.

I shoot with a 40D and the 5D2 uses much the same AF system so I'd be comfortable using it. The 6D has a new AF system with 11 AF points and it's center point is said to be more sensitive, we'll see how it's outer points work, if better that my 40D then the 6D will be ordered.

Jerry

Nov 27, 2012 at 08:47 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

I bought a G1X for landscape / seascape /cityscape.

The reasoning was simple. I have cameras and lenses for 'serious' outings...and I have a G10 that slips in my pocket and I almost take it everywhere. As I live on the coast it gets a lot of use when I am out walking or cycling (which is often).

I decided to get a G1X to have a middle position......a decent camera that is easy to carry and gives good results...but still mainly for relatively casual trips where I know the potential for interesting pics exists; but if nothing happens...not a problem.

I have a 5D and a range of good lenses and the IQ is better than the 1GX.......but at A3 print size, both are equally pleasing.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

both 5DII and III are appreciably better in low light for you. However, hardly any difference between them in low iso conditions.

If you do a lot of low light landscapes with higher iso... I'd go with one of them. If you can afford the 5dIII it'll be a bit better than 5DII in low light. However, if low light isn't much of a concern -- and you're primarily using this for static type shots, so no big AF demands -- I'd go 5dII over 5dIII as the 5dIII provides no more value for you this way.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:07 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

if you aren't looking to shoot too much in higher ISO settings, why get a new camera at all?

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:13 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What camera to upgrade from 5d classic

The 5DM2 has about a 1/2 stop noise advantage over the 5D. If that's critical to you then by all means go for it. Otherwise you'd be much better served by holding on to your 5D, tightly

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:25 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password