New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Dog/animal portraits?

Nickyb21
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dog/animal portraits?

Looking to practice shooting animal portraits. I have a D3100 right now but i can get my hands on a D7000. I have a 35 1.8g right now as my main lens to shoot with (also got a 50-200 zoom and the kit lens) and my buddy has a 12-24mm f/4G on his D7000. I was wondering what do you think would be the best lens to capture these doggies?

And no, I'm not looking to hop on craigslist and say I'm a pro pet photographer lol.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dog/animal portraits?

The 35 f/1.8 is actually a great lens for pets, provided they aren't moving too fast. I also like to use wide and ultra wide lenses on dogs to exaggerate their cute features, like their snoots and ears.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dog/animal portraits?

Thanks! I've been using my 35 a lot and I love the thing! Wasn't sure if there was a better lens for this application though.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dog/animal portraits?

Hi,

Well..............you can use ANY lens you want for portrait photos as long as you like the effect. We have a really cute poster at our dog club of "doggy noses" of different breeds taken with wide angle and ultra-wide angle lenses. Different and fun, and therefore worthwhile as everyone who comes in has to chuckle at the shots.

On the other hand, and relating my experience only, generally something between 50mm and 85mm gives the best rendition and proportions of the head/face without foreshortening or distorting the features. This length range also gives you more working distance, which seems to make it easier to handle and pose the pups.

At shows when shooting portraits I generally use either my 85mm or my 150mm, valuing sharpness over all else.

I am not sure that the body you use is that big a part of the equation as long as you are familiar with its specific features. If anything I would end toward a body with higher usable (low noise) ISO and the ability to shoot at a frame rate of at least 5 fps. Just about everything Nikon has today fills that bill, more or less.

Most importantly.......just shoot - shoot - shoot. That's the key.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dog/animal portraits?

I dunno, the ole toke 11-16 seems to work for me...

Nov 28, 2012 at 02:18 AM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dog/animal portraits?

You'll want a longer lens than the 35. When you get that close to a dog, it will typically trigger him to approach you. Shoot back with a 70-200 as not to distract him as much.

Nov 28, 2012 at 10:57 AM
zippylock
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dog/animal portraits?

ChrisDM wrote:
You'll want a longer lens than the 35. When you get that close to a dog, it will typically trigger him to approach you. Shoot back with a 70-200 as not to distract him as much.

I have also found this to be true, although 50-70mm is normally enough zoom. 200 inside a home would be way to much in most cases

Nov 28, 2012 at 11:37 AM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dog/animal portraits?

Nickyb21 wrote:
Looking to practice shooting animal portraits. I have a D3100 right now but i can get my hands on a D7000. I have a 35 1.8g right now as my main lens to shoot with (also got a 50-200 zoom and the kit lens) and my buddy has a 12-24mm f/4G on his D7000. I was wondering what do you think would be the best lens to capture these doggies?

And no, I'm not looking to hop on craigslist and say I'm a pro pet photographer lol.

Depends on your style of photography. I've shot dogs in the range from 14mm to 200mm. There are certain guidelines, but they aren't concrete.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dog/animal portraits?

ChrisDM wrote:

I was honestly thinking of adding the 85mm 1.8g, I think that would give me enough reach and still have the doggies be comfortable. I think my 55-200mm f/4-5.6G should suffice in the mean time though.. thoughts?

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM
mp356
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dog/animal portraits?

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
I dunno, the ole toke 11-16 seems to work for me...

http://neddieseagoon.smugmug.com/Animals/Dog/i-rsxxFW7/0/L/GSC_1932-L.jpg

Love it!

Nov 28, 2012 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.