New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

SamHenry
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Used my mk2 for the first time the other day at a 5y/o bday party. The colors just seem different. The camera is completely stock, I updated the firmware when I got it, so no custom settings are loaded.

Standard picture style, Sigma 17-35 locked at 35mm on Av mode f/4.0. No flash.

Any help appreciated

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8222730706_83020e2041_z.jpg

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:58 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

If you're on AWB...it might look different than your other cameras.

Overall the image looks cool, but there's a ton of yellow in there which could throw that off. If you shoot in raw, this shouldn't be a problem.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:04 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Yeah this was raw, and AWB as well. Like you said, it may be the intense colors of the bouncy-house that is playing with my eyes.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM
lowa2
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Eyedrop on the little guy's bracelet. The white part of the bracelet and see how it helps.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

lowa2 wrote:
Eyedrop on the little guy's bracelet. The white part of the bracelet and see how it helps.

Comes out gray

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Looks like you were at Pump it up or another me of those jumpy house parties. I can tell you from experience the cycling lights and the reflection from the yellow jumpy house causes all kinds of color issues. Overall it does not look bad. Try the eye dropper on the whites of his eyes.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM
zquaratella
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Great shot! I think the yellow of the bouncy thing is throwing us off. I tried covering up with my hands but I still feel like I see a bit of yellow in there on his face. Maybe try the white of his eyes or teeth to compare?

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Its cause Sigma and Canon.

5DMK2 does have bit higher amount of green color in red channel resulting sometimes in skin tones being bit greenish (or magneta-ish if you try to correct it via WB). Then you used Sigma which has natural emphasis on yellow/green.

Either try different color profiles (in LR - Camera Calibration choose one of Canon profiles), or try some custom online profile (https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167971/0 .. some are there, read whole thread, it could help). Or you can create your own, all you need is LR, DNG profile editor (free), GretagMacBeth color table and your camera + lens.

Profile made with this lens should work nicely with any Sigma lens, but if you switch to Canon lens or other, it wont be that good.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:23 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

I swapped to the 50 1.8 later in the day, let me edit one real quick and throw it up for comparison.

Bruce, the pump it up near us closed down unfortunately. This party was at Monkey Joes!

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Sam -- don't bother with eyes or teeth -- they are never white, they are light warm yellowish-red. The white part of the wristband is the only test area. When you say the white wristband is "gray" does that mean you just hovered over it with the dropper tool, or did you take the numerical readings to decide it was gray. The advice was intended for you to "click" on the white area to see if that sorted out the color, not hover.

Besides the reflected light from the yellow/green plastic, it seems your light source is a mix of fluorescent and daylight, is that right? If so, you have an almost impossible color balance situation, and the camera has done a pretty good job. If you are using LR4, you can tweak the temperature a little warmer, and you could try raising the magenta a touch. Both would be minute changes, nothing major.

If I were photographing this "for real" I'd use a flash filtered to match the predominant lighting (if not daylight) and use that for fill and to achieve color continuity to override the reflected colors as much as possible. Even without filter, the flash fill often provides a better baseline for color correction where no white or grey exists.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:34 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Gunzorro wrote:
Sam -- don't bother with eyes or teeth -- they are never white, they are light warm yellowish-red. The white part of the wristband is the only test area. When you say the white wristband is "gray" does that mean you just hovered over it with the dropper tool, or did you take the numerical readings to decide it was gray. The advice was intended for you to "click" on the white area to see if that sorted out the color, not hover.

I clicked it

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/SupercrossBMXer/Photography/Screenshot2012-11-27at103806AM-1.jpg

Canon 50mm 1.8 II. Just brightened the image up a bit, didn't do any of my other usual editing (will go back and redo it). Exact same bouncy-house as the first image

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/SupercrossBMXer/Photography/_MG_0340.jpg

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Just for comparison, here's one I snapped in my room the other day when it first arrived. This was with my Sigma too I believe

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k92/SupercrossBMXer/Photography/_MG_9935.jpg

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:51 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

I would use Curves to reduce green, increase red, and boost over-all brightness. That should get you close on the skin tones.

This is a worst-case scenario for auto-white-balance, especially if this was artificial light. I certainly wouldn't worry about the camera based on these pics.

If the light was consistent (in other words, all over-head florescent without any daylight), then shooting a gray card or other neutral target (without color contamination from nearby objects) would probably have helped you correct in post. You would still get color reflections on the kids though.

Edited on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM
SamHenry
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Eyeball wrote:
I would use Curves to reduce green, increase red, and boost over-all brightness. That should get you close on the skin tones.

This is a worst-case scenario for auto-white-balance, especially if this was artificial light. I certainly wouldn't worry about the camera based on these pics.

Good, I kind of figured it wasn't the camera but had to make sure

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do these colors look right to you? 5DmkII

Some people don't like this method for skin tones but I think it can be helpful. You use the CMY readouts to put M and Y close and have C at about 30% of M. Here is a link in case you are not familiar with it:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93363

For the sample, you want to use a patch of skin that is not too bright nor too dark. In cases like the examples you posted, you also need to make a decision on what part of the face you are going to correct - the face lit primarily by the lights or the part being illuminated by the yellow. In this case I would go with the lights. Some yellow reflection is natural in this situation (although you could correct that out separately, too, if you wanted to take the time).

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.