Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Running Horses

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Running Horses

Hi everyone,

I have my issues with the small horse appearing behind the rightmost one... does it bother the hell out of you too? Any other things wrong with the image besides it? Does the image work? Do you find the colors believable? The treeline appears tilted to me, however the water is (I think) level, does it bother anyone?

Comments appreciated.

Nikon D3100, 300mm AF-S + TC 14EII, 420mm F/5.6, ISO 100, 1/3200 sec

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:31 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Running Horses

Small horse ... too small to worry about.

Colors ... not expected to be perceived as realism, i.e understood @ interpretive, no worries there either. But the fact that the water splash/spray is "neutral" (or nearly so) ... way important, imo. The opposing warm/cool colors provide some dynamic tension both as opposites and as a reverse application of the normal "warm close, cool far" physiological response.

Level ... whose looking that closely. My eyes are fixed on the dynamics of the horses. The only thing I'd recommend is to crop some of the bottom water to better balance the eye to the horses.

Diggin' it ... just crop some off the bottom (and clean up the dust bunnies / foreground water spots) before you hang it.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:40 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Running Horses

Looks like good advice to me.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:43 AM
gneto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Running Horses

RustyBug, thanks a lot for the feedback.
Ben, thank you too, I agree that's good advice.

That's a perfect crop suggestion, I was struggling with the crop possibilities, thank you very much.

Oh yeah, the dust bunnies... perhaps it's time to give my sensor it's first cleaning after 2 years of heavy, careless use? (I took the f/22 picture of a white wall some days ago, and lets say it could be used as a text book example of a really dirty camera)

The foreground water spots don't really bother me, but I'll get rid of them anyway, since I also don't think they add anything to the image.

Once again, thanks. I won't be posting an updated image as RustyBug's version is pretty much right on spot.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lluis Barcelo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Running Horses

I really like the cropped version. The original I think it had the horses too centered. Nice contrast between water and sky.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Running Horses

Beautifully done. Not much to add except that I like both crops.
Scott

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:00 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Running Horses

Scott, Lluis, thank you for the feedback!

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:53 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password