Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Question about commander mode

lycale
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about commander mode

I am trying to learn about wireless flash. I am using a D800 in commander mode with a SB600. Is there any way to disable the D800 flash and have only the SB600 fire remotely? If not, won't you still get the direct glare of the camera's built-in flash? Thanks so much for your help.

Lynne

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about commander mode

Just set the built in flash to mode --

it will fire for communication but should not contribute to exposure.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM
lycale
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about commander mode

Thanks so much!!

Lynn

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about commander mode

Hi Lynne,

The short answer is: "no". The D800 flash must fire in order to trigger the SB600. BUT, all is not lost, there are 4 solutions to your problem that I can think of off the top of my head:

1) Check out this little gadget (link below). It filters the visible light and allows only the IR light from the pop-up flash to get through. It's the IR light that triggers the remote flash. This is the simplest and cheepest solution.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410445-REG/Nikon_4905_SG_3IR_IR_Panel_for.html

2) The "best" and most capable solution is the SU-800 IR flash commander ... but that's pricy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/410490-USA/Nikon_4794_SU_800_Wireless_Speedlight_Commander.html

Two other solutions, that may or may not do what you want depending on your set-up and the effects you are after:

3) If the SB600 is not too far from the camera, you can use a sync cord like an SC29 or an SC15

4) You can use a second CLS compatible flash that is attached to the camera (directly or via sync cord) as a comander.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about commander mode

workerdrone wrote:
Just set the built in flash to mode --

it will fire for communication but should not contribute to exposure.

It still contributes, it just fires a very low-level flash (i.e. 1/128th power)

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about commander mode

Andre Labonte wrote:
It still contributes, it just fires a very low-level flash (i.e. 1/128th power)

I noticed this too when I started using the on-board flash as commander. I had originally thought that it would not be visible at all in the picture but I first noticed it was when I could see it in catchlights. Sometimes it makes a noticable difference in the exposure of the photo but if you're further back it doesn't make much difference.

brad

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Graystar

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about commander mode

The built-in flash waits until the shutter is fully exposed, and then fires the "go" signal. Even when the built-in is set to "--", there's a contribution. It's very low, but it will still be visible as catchlights in eyes, and reflections off of glass. Sidelighting of wine bottles, for example, is impossible.

I've seen some testing of the IR panel in this regard, and it doesn't get rid of the light completely. The SU-800 is perfect...except for its price tag.

Another solution that is free to try is to use the flash in Auto FP mode. Set custom setting e1:Flash Sync Speed to "1/250s (Auto FP)" and then set your shutter speed to 1/320s. The SB-600 will now fire in Auto FP mode. This suppresses the built-in flash completely. The reason this works is because the "go" signal is given before the shutter opens. You get a reduction in flash power, but it may be enough...depending on the lighting setup.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about commander mode

Graystar wrote:

I've seen some testing of the IR panel in this regard, and it doesn't get rid of the light completely.

The IR panel does not get rid of 100% of the light if you leave the comander at full power, but you can put the comander power down to the point where when combined with the IR panel, the input of the camander to the imatge is nonexistant. Works great, I use it quite often.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Graystar

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about commander mode

Andre Labonte wrote:
The IR panel does not get rid of 100% of the light if you leave the comander at full power, but you can put the comander power down to the point where when combined with the IR panel, the input of the camander to the imatge is nonexistant. Works great, I use it quite often.

Actually the implication is that the built-in is set to "--". It doesn't make any sense to have the IR panel installed if you're using the built-in to actually provide light (something I do as well.)

Having the built-in set to "--" provides the lowest power signal, and it doesn't provide any visible contribution to reflective surfaces (at the lowest ISO levels.) The problem is with specular reflections. That's what the catch lights in the eyes are. And when you're photographing anything made of glass, you can get unwanted specular reflections that you simply cannot suppress unless you either completely block the built-in flash (which is actually a very doable solution) or use Auto FP.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:23 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about commander mode

Man I really need some reading comprehension classes. I swear I read this twice and it said "Commando Mode".

Matt

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:33 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password