Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

robinlee
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

Hi all,

Does anybody own or owned this lens? How is the sharpness wide open? AF speed? The IQ check with 1.4x and 2x tc (Canon mk3, Sigma, kenko, etc..)

Also if anybody can compare this with an old Canon 300mm f/2.8 non-is lens will be helpful.

Plus provide some pictures taken and 100% crop will be great, thanks all...

Regards
Robin

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:13 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

I have the earlier non DG version, I picked it up for a very good price. (by the way as your in the UK and these are rare beasts I may know the one you have you eye on )

Although I have not had as much chances to use it as I would have hoped at the moment here's my initial thoughts:
(All my use has been on my 7D)

AF. Decently Fast. and it seems to track quite well. (better than my old 100-400) . I will say it seems different to use than my 100-400 was . I cant put my finger on it but it seems to like single AF point with expansion more than zone af . with the 100-400 I normally just used the big 9 point square and it worked well. on the 300 it just seems to lock on the wrong point more often. Maybe its me and maybe I just need more practice (Lack of IS could be the issue)

AF accuracy : well Im still trying to dial in the corect amount of MA . It does seem it has a tendancy to need different MA at longer distances to that needed closer.

Build: Its solid. it seems its slightly smaller than the 300L and a tad lighter . but this is my first 'big' lens. and its a real different world.

TC use. Im yet to pick up the proper sigma TC's but it seems to work well on my Kenko 1.4 . My non reporting 2X is OK but I want to try a sigma 2x.

Mine came with a CPL filter but no clear filter. I am still waiting for a 'proper' sigma filter for it , but in the meantime I picked up a cheap UV filter. the filter is defiantly needed as without it I cant get infinity focus .

at the moment Im happy, my goal is to get a 300/2.8 IS but they are quite a bit more than my budget. the older non IS is still a fair bit more as well.

Here's one of my first atempts with it. shot wide open and handheld.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:15 PM
RCicala
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

I've shot with it quite a bit from copies we have in the shop. I love the size of it - smaller than the Canon 300s, and much, much, much smaller than the Sigma 120-300 OS. I can handhold the 300 easily, I can't the 120-300 OS, but then I'm old and weak.

I found it very sharp in the center, close to the Canon 300 f/2.8 IS. Not as good in the edges and corners, but since I'm usually putting subjects in the center when using that lens I didn't mind that much.

I missed the IS, of course, but it is a great price.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:58 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

I owned one prior to buying the 120-300 f2.8 HSM and my current 300mm f2.8L IS. I used it with the sigma apo 1.4x but not 2x. I've used it with a 5D classic and 1Dmk I and II. I sold it for the zoom prior to buying my current bodies, and my recollections are based on my lower resolution bodies. I shoot wildlife and other nature subjects. I found the lens to be sharp and focus well w/ the 1D-series bodies. As indicated, it is not as sharp as the canon lens, but it is sharp enough. I would not hesitate to buy the lens again, and have thought of acquiring one as a back-up to my current lens. My only issues with the lens occurred when shooting subjects against a bright background. I found that this would induce a bit of chromatic aberration. I owned the pre-DG version, and it is possible that this aberration may be linked to internal reflection on the sensor. It is likely that the newer versions will be better corrected, as this is a common issue w/ sensors and their low-pass filters.
If the price is right, buy it. This Sigma is a great bargain in a world of very high priced optics!
cheers,
bruce

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:58 PM
robinlee
• •
p.1 #5 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

Thanks Ian, RCicala and Bruce it was informative and I did expect that the Sigma is slightly less sharp than the Canon counterpart. The reason I was comparing to the original Canon 300mm 2.8 non-IS is that if both the price is similar, just wonder which one to go for. Older lens (discontinued or Canon stopped service this lens) or taking the bet on Sigma.

Bruce, how do you find the 120-300mm (presumably OS version?).

Thanks in advance.
Robin

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:16 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

One thing I would consider with your choices: Sigma service has really gotten better the last couple of years, it's quick and efficient if you need it.

The Canon 300 non IS is a great lens, but if it goes belly up you're at the mercy of whether the part you need is available. Canon doesn't stock all the parts for it anymore.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:30 PM
dennisgibson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

I'm too lazy to search but is there any talk of an OS version of the Sigma?

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

there is currently no OS version

but at 300mm I do not think OS is required.
I find subject acquisition is faster with IS disabled on my 300mm F4 IS.
the Canon 400mm f5.6 has no IS and is excellent for birding

The Canon 300mm F2.8 IS or IS II have become priced too high for consideration

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #9 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

I am also really interested in that lens but I cant seem to find any! Are they really rare,Every one keeps them or there is not many of them?Anyways keep posting photos taken with the lens I am very curius.

Thanks
Alexis

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

B&H has them in stock
bhphoto.com

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM
coffeyboy

p.1 #11 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

Hi Robin I have owned the DG version for about 10 months and used on a 5DII.
I also own a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 L IS (mark 1) and find the Sigma to be slightly sharper wide open. Focusing is quite quick with center point AF though I needed a small amount of MA for accuracy.

Also used with a Canon 1.4x II and Sigma 2.0x DG.
Focusing and sharpness do take a slight hit but interestingly I found the lens was a little sharper with the Sigma 2.0x.

The bokeh is really smooth at 300mm but suffers with TC's especially in the corners.

Below are examples at 300mm f4, 420mm f5 and 600mm f10.

http://www.neilcoffey.co.uk/highland-cow-isle-of-skye

http://www.neilcoffey.co.uk/pheasant-perthshire

http://www.neilcoffey.co.uk/bla-bheinn-sunset-from-ardnamurchan

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:01 PM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #12 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

They dont have it in used at B and H and new they are quite expensive!

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM
alskouba
• •
p.1 #13 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

Nice photos the lens seems really sharp.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:26 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

thank you for posting examples Neil

Edited on Dec 14, 2012 at 09:03 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

robinlee wrote:
...Bruce, how do you find the 120-300mm (presumably OS version?).

Thanks in advance.
Robin

I had the not OS non-DG version of the 120-300 f2.8 HSM. I brought this lens to Africa in 2008 along with the 300 f2.8L IS that I purchased for that trip. My wife used the Sigma and I used the Canon lens. The zoom was an amazing performer and it some ways was sharper than the Sigma 300mm f2.8 HSM. The zoom is more like a 280, but it was a great safari lens. Like the fixed 300mm HSM, the zoom took well to the Sigma 1.4x converter. While the lens is as sharp as the Canon 300 f4 IS, it is not has sharp as the Canon 300 f2.8L. In addition, I think that the Sigma non-zoom 300 f2.8 had a more pleasing bokeh at 300mm than the zoom.

Because of the flexibility, I found the zoom to be an amazing wildlife lens, and like my other Sigma optic, I would not hesitate to buy and shoot it again. BTW, I have 24" images work from Africa hanging at home and offices in Minnesota. Some were shot with the Canon lens and others were shot with the Sigma zoom. Nobody has asked which lens or questioned the sharpness and detail in any of these pictures!
cheers,
bruce

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:24 AM
robinlee
• •
p.1 #16 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

Neil your images are superb even with 1.4x and 2x and thanks for sharing. Love Scotland will be back again in 2013.

Bruce, I agree the 120-300mm 2.8 is much flexible like the Canon 100-400mm ... basically I am torn between these two beasts.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:25 PM
CSStevens
• •
p.1 #17 · Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM lens

I had one that I just recently sold to get the Canon 300 2.8 (non-is).

For the price, it's a great deal. It's quite sharp, but not extremely sharp, and oftentimes there was the occasional chromatic abberation more than I was expecting (and I did a microadjust of I believe +15)

For football, the focus was good when the subject was fairly far away, but if there was ever a quick approach towards the camera (I was using a 1D4), than it couldn't keep up.

Here is a shot with a 5d2 of Joe Biden when I was covering a lot of elections: http://www.flickr.com/photos/srontgorrth/8101483273/sizes/o/in/set-72157631802525870/

Not ultra sharp, but sharp enough for most. You can see some purple fringing on his left wrist.

Here's another sample, using a 1D3 at f3.2, ISO 2000, and 1/400 (on a monopod): http://www.flickr.com/photos/srontgorrth/8123119480/sizes/o/in/set-72157631802525870/

I bought a Kenko 1.4x teleconverter but the results with it were extremely lackluster, though they didn't fare well on my 70-200 2.8 either. I think it was more the TC than the lens.

Bokeh wise, the lens was/ is excellent. And as mentioned, one of the reasons I got it over the 120-300 was because the zoom wasn't really 300mm.

So in short, if you're buying a used copy, it's a hell of a deal, and if anything, buy one and use it while you save up for the Canon copy, which is what I did (the 300 non-is arrives next week!).

Dec 13, 2012 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password