Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

I just purchased the 24-70 for a trip and after waiting for a long time before pulling the trigger.
I just returned and as per the reviews, the lenses is great but I have one real serious issue.

I wanted to ask for suggestions and of my next stop is the local store where I purchased.

After noticing the lens was not locked in several times, I was constantly checking to ensure it was locked.

I have a D3 now but I have been shooting with Nikon for decades and I have never had this issue. I realize that it sounds like I am just hitting the release by mistake and it is always a possibility. It does not fit real tight even when locked. I know that this is not normal but is this an easy fix? I assume I will have to send back unless the store will exchange (only been 2 weeks).

Any feedback would be helpful.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:41 AM
hjanssen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

It is not a lens issue, but a camera issue, since I used a D200 I have the disconnecting lens issue and never had this issue on a SLR or D70.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

Thank you but I have used the D3 for 5 years since it came out with all kinds of Nikon lenses without any issues at all. Unless it just started to have an issue with the lock mechanism.

Since I have posted, I have tried with other lenses and some fit extremely tight 17-35, 35, 50, 85 , others like my 180 and 300 have some play to them. But none have come unlocked in the past.

It could be a user error but I have never had it happen before and it happened about 4 times in a week with the new 24-70. I am actually not saying it is the lens either, just wanted to see if others had experienced the same issues before.

Question - Should the lens mount fit tight without any movement or is some movement (in locked position) normal?

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

It should fit tight. It is very tight on the D4. I've had it fall off the D3 because I put it on with the lens hood reversed. This made me tighten it with my hand partially on the focus ring. I thought it was attached, but it did not lock on.

There is another problem with the lens and it caused my lens to fall apart. The screws that hold the lens flange to the lens worked loose. I had my lens on a D3s and in my bag. I opened the trunk, took the camera (lens attached) from the bag and the lens fell off. A bunch of shims, washers, and other things went everywhere. I looked at my camera and only the lens connecting plate and a thin, black piece of metal stuck out. The lens was a mess. Nikon fixed the lens without cost to me. So, check those screws periodically.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

moosehead222
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

Thanks James. After talking with the store a couple times over the phone I drive down. They had a loaner 24-70 and a new 24-70 both fit about the same on the D3 (a little play). We then tried it on another Nikon body and it fit the same (a little play). We then tried a 85 1.4 prime on the D3. It fit about the same, a little tighter but some play. We both repeatedly tried after it was locked to get it to fail (unlock) and there is just no way that it was going to unlocked without pressing the release.

Still, they offered to swap with the new one (good customer service) but since two others fit about the same, I did not do the swap out. I am use to shooting with all primes as I have not shoot with my 17-35 for some time so I must have brushed the release without realizing it maybe when turning the zoom ring.

I will take your advice about checking the screws from time to time.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:01 AM
lankyelectric
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

James R wrote:
It should fit tight. It is very tight on the D4. I've had it fall off the D3 because I put it on with the lens hood reversed. This made me tighten it with my hand partially on the focus ring. I thought it was attached, but it did not lock on.

There is another problem with the lens and it caused my lens to fall apart. The screws that hold the lens flange to the lens worked loose. I had my lens on a D3s and in my bag. I opened the trunk, took the camera (lens attached)
...Show more

I hate it when a fella has a screw loose. I think I have had that problems for years.

Chad

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:33 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

Funny thing, this happened to me a couple of times back along with my 17-55 ... I think I ended up realizing it was the way I was holding the lens when putting it on. You have to be careful not to be holding the zoom or focus rings so that when you twist the lens on, it snaps cleanly into place. Anyway, it only happened to me a couple of times before I changes my habits and the problem went away ... not sure if this is your issue or not, but something to consider.

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:24 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-70 Issue with lens mount?

ONce the lens is locked in place, there will be just a slight amount of rotary "play" and this is normal. It is manufacturing tolerance to ensure locking. If the lens will not lock in place, take it back.

Nov 28, 2012 at 09:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password