Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

cputeq
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

I don't know what sort of voodoo is going on, but apparently my cameras actually repel dust.

Primarily, I'm talking about my OM-D and even my GX-1. I bought both used off this board a while back and I've used them a lot, though not nearly as much as I want.

I've swapped lenses many times out in the field, exposing the sensor for the world to see and dust devils to latch on to - a result of shooting primarily primes, though I do have the 12-50 and 100-300 for zooms.

I've shot small apertures (f11/f16) for macro and landscape DOF, yet nothing. No dust, well almost.

This weekend processing a GX-1 shot, I finally found two faint halos signifying dust. It's about damn time - I was starting to get bored.

Anyone else notice this?

I've literally gone through all the major brands (save Leica, etc) at least once and I've never had this type of anti-dust performance - hell even my A77 managed to get more dust on its sensor, and that dust had to make it past the clear mirror.

Maybe I'm just lucky?

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

Yup. I almost never have to clone dust out of my images. I think I might have had to do it once, and use a rocket blower when something got stuck on my E-P1. I don't think I've had a visible dust spot with my GH2, GX1 or E-M5. The Olympus sensor-shake system (Supersonic Wave Filter) is phenomenal. Panasonic licenses it from Olympus, so all their bodies have it too. Evaluations of all the anti-dust technologies consistently place the Olympus system well above those from other manufacturers.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM
jonrock
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

I never saw any problems when I had my GF-3. However, I practically only shoot between f1.4 - f8.0 in general so dust usually isn't too noticeable to me. What's the difference between Olympus' sensor shake system compared to ones used by Nikon, Sony, and Canon?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

I don't recall ever having dust on my E-PL3's sensor. I guess the anti-shake combined with no mirror movement really works.

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

My OMD has been dust free so far, much better than most of the DSLRs i've shot.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

Yes, my old G1 (first mirrorless) was same. Tho old 4/3 cams were too, I think they inherited same high frequency antidust filter. Anyway it worked great, had it for year and half and not a single speck.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is your m43 practically immune to dust?

Same here with the GH2. My GH1s had to be cleaned about once in 6 months of hard use. "Had to be" = one spec of noticeable dust where the "Clean Sensor" menu item had to be selected 2 to 5 times in a row manually to get it off. I guess I've had the GH2 about 6 months already but no dust specs yet.

And I should add that I live in a 100 year old mud house and mud houses are total dust factories - especially older ones.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:29 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password