Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · miata shot

hypotyposis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · miata shot

Hi all,

I tried shooting cars but really need some help on either editing, framing, or anything else. What can I do to change this photo or if I did it again, could have done differently? I'm currently using an entry-level nikon with its kit lens. Thanks!

Cheers,
Priscilla

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:52 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · miata shot

This would be a fair image but for one thing that is really hurting it in my opinion. Too much flare. People use flare for artistic reasons, you see it on TV and movies frequently. But this flare is more than artistic and is is fogging the entire image. It looks like the cause is a sun at your right that was probably hitting the front element of your lens. A hood might have helped or even just placing your hand at the side to block it.

I like the shooting angle of the car, but the fence bothers me. It seems sharp and well exposed.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · miata shot

Welcome, Priscilla.
Tough image as shot.
As Ben indicated, the flare, placing diagonal stripes across the image from different angles, hurts the image and is hard to fix in post-processing.
The background is a bit busy and cluttered, including the fence.
Like Ben, I like the angle you chose. I would shoot less into the light, use a lens hood if you have one to reduce light entering the lens from an angle and causing flare. Choose a less busy background such as a field, a simple brick wall, some trees. And shoot fairly wide open (low f stop) to throw the background out of focus and highlight the subject.
Scott

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:25 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #4 · miata shot

ben egbert wrote:
This would be a fair image but for one thing that is really hurting it in my opinion. Too much flare. People use flare for artistic reasons, you see it on TV and movies frequently. But this flare is more than artistic and is is fogging the entire image. It looks like the cause is a sun at your right that was probably hitting the front element of your lens. A hood might have helped or even just placing your hand at the side to block it.

I like the shooting angle of the car, but the fence bothers me.
...Show more

Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I definitely agree having a different background and a hood would have been better.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:26 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #5 · miata shot

sbeme wrote:
Welcome, Priscilla.
Tough image as shot.
As Ben indicated, the flare, placing diagonal stripes across the image from different angles, hurts the image and is hard to fix in post-processing.
The background is a bit busy and cluttered, including the fence.
Like Ben, I like the angle you chose. I would shoot less into the light, use a lens hood if you have one to reduce light entering the lens from an angle and causing flare. Choose a less busy background such as a field, a simple brick wall, some trees. And shoot fairly wide open (low f stop) to throw the background
...Show more

Thanks, Scott! I agree and see the background and flares take away from the subject. Thanks for the tips on the low f stop setting as well!

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:29 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · miata shot

+1 @ Scott & Ben

I think that your "eye" for the character of the car shows promise as you learn to mitigate the technical detractors that are impeding the presentation of your envisioned image.

They've given you a lot (same things I was thinking), but don't be daunted by it. Ours is a labor of love ... i.e. it is the definition of "continuous improvement" as we aspire to help ... welcome to the Forum.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hypotyposis

p.1 #7 · miata shot

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Scott & Ben

I think that your "eye" for the character of the car shows promise as you learn to mitigate the technical detractors that are impeding the presentation of your envisioned image.

They've given you a lot (same things I was thinking), but don't be daunted by it. Ours is a labor of love ... i.e. it is the definition of "continuous improvement" as we aspire to help ... welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the encouragement! I definitely need to get out and practice more.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #8 · miata shot

I don't really mind the flare.

The perspective and the background are more problematic. The perspective because while the car is taking up most of the frame, it's difficult to tell what it looks like. The background because it's distracting. You might be able to do something with the fence by itself. I've seen similar backgrounds used successfully before. But with that, plus the trees, plus the house, it doesn't seem like it was intentionally chosen, and doesn't add to the photo.

Have you spent any time looking at auto photography to see what's done in the more successful photos?

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:08 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #9 · miata shot

Mister Bean wrote:
I don't really mind the flare.

The perspective and the background are more problematic. The perspective because while the car is taking up most of the frame, it's difficult to tell what it looks like. The background because it's distracting. You might be able to do something with the fence by itself. I've seen similar backgrounds used successfully before. But with that, plus the trees, plus the house, it doesn't seem like it was intentionally chosen, and doesn't add to the photo.

Have you spent any time looking at auto photography to see what's done in the more successful
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback! I haven't had an opportunity to look at auto photography besides shots taken from a track haha. Do you have an recommendations?

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:21 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #10 · miata shot

The auto site I visit most often is insideline.com. I don't go there for photos specifically, but there are some good ones there.

You could also search flickr or 500px.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:37 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #11 · miata shot

Mister Bean wrote:
The auto site I visit most often is insideline.com. I don't go there for photos specifically, but there are some good ones there.

You could also search flickr or 500px.

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:00 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #12 · miata shot

I think the position of the sun is a bit unfortunate in this case because the car is back/side lit and the subject is in the shadow. The background isn't anything exciting. Finally as others have mentioned, you have a bit of flare in the photo.

Dec 02, 2012 at 03:15 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password