Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

aleksanderpolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

The color cast is very visible in the last one, I guess that might be the reason they are not making lens for FF NEX... I hope they don't discontinue the 16MP sensor anytime soon.

jonrock wrote:
I found some more shots on a Nex 7.

http://sgoldswoblog.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/some-thoughts-on-the-sony-sel1018/

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:36 PM
timpdx
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

UPS came very late in the day so this is the only shot I got off, love the wide perspective. The junk at right is my sleeve as I braced the camera to take the shot. It seems quite good in the corners. Today I will be out and about so I can get some outdoor shots and see if I get the magenta sides on my 7.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:09 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

douglasf13 wrote:
It seems to be more of the fault of the camera, rather than the lens. Hopefully they'll figure out the issue with the next 24mp sensor release.

Well I meant Sony imaging group as a whole. The NEX-7 has been out for a long time and they should have developed their future lenses to work correctly with their flagship camera or at least provide some lens profiles to the world's #1 photo management program.

Just frustrated I guess when MFT has a wealth of excellent lenses to choose from while NEX has basically 1 really good lens.

Nov 29, 2012 at 04:11 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

FlyPenFly wrote:
Well I meant Sony imaging group as a whole. The NEX-7 has been out for a long time and they should have developed their future lenses to work correctly with their flagship camera or at least provide some lens profiles to the world's #1 photo management program.

Just frustrated I guess when MFT has a wealth of excellent lenses to choose from while NEX has basically 1 really good lens.

Oh, I definitely hear you. I'm just saying that, as a long view for the system, it probably makes more sense to fix the sensor, rather than design all of the lenses around the NEX-7's finicky sensor, despite it unfortunately being the flagship.

Sony really dropped the ball on this magenta thing with the NEX-7. If I remember correctly, even the Zeiss 24 has small amounts of shift on the NEX-7, and so does the 16mm.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:13 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

The 16 definitely does but the za24 is at least free of it. I haven't seen it in any shots.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:27 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

FlyPenFly wrote:
Specifically I meant Sony is. Even their own premium UWA still has magenta cast. I guess Zeiss is the last hope for a native UWA that won't have a cast or else it's the sigma 8-16.

fair enough, i thought you were talking about the lens.

FlyPenFly wrote:

honestly, the only lens that looks impressive to me for m4/3 is the panaleica 25/1.4. everything else just looks decent and the only other lens i would probably buy if i shot for 4/3 is oly 9-18 just because it's a compact solution for ultrawide that i could carry even though i almost never shoot ultrawide. on the other hand i haven't seen anything from any sony lenses that compels me to actually buy one (the 16mm came with my first NEX). the advantage of m4/3 is more that they have everything covered and in pretty well thought out focal lengths and speeds (unlike sony), not that their lenses are super spectacular.

FlyPenFly wrote:
The 16 definitely does but the za24 is at least free of it. I haven't seen it in any shots.

interestingly, i haven't noticed any purple in shots with my 16mm since i upgraded the 7's firmware - though i've only taken a couple shots with it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:49 PM
alwang
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

sebboh wrote:
honestly, the only lens that looks impressive to me for m4/3 is the panaleica 25/1.4. everything else just looks decent

That Olympus 75/1.8 looks very good as well, though not a focal length I use all that often. Still, I can't understand being that frustrated with the Sony 10-18 because of occasional color cast with the one 24MP body. You might as well be frustrated that M4/3 has no 24MP bodies. I'm pretty sure the Sony 10-18 on any of the 16MP NEX cameras will compare favorably in all aspects to any of the M4/3 UWAs mounted to the 16MP OM-D.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:07 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

I'll very surprised if the 10-18 beats the 7-14 panasonic.

MFT also has the Olympus 12mm F2, the Olympus 60mm F2.8 (incredible lens, can't think of any AF lens that has as little CA of any kind including LoCA), the Panasonic Leica 45mm F2.8, the Panasonic 14-45mm, and all the really good Olympus 4/3 SWD lenses. Only two or three of those focus very fast but the rest at least you get weather sealing plus electronic aperture and IBIS and EXIF. Then there's also the Voightlander F0.95 lenses which are quite, quite good.

I think i'm probably keeping my NEX-7 simply because of my Contax G 45mm F2 but otherwise, I keep wondering why I am. I got rid of my ZA24 because I wanted to try the Voigt 17.5mm F0.95.

If the upcoming Zeiss and Schneider lenses aren't amazing, my NEX venture was a pretty dumb move.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:14 PM
theophilus
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

I haven't upgraded the firmware on my NEX-7 yet. I'll try to get some before and after with the 10-18. It should be here tomorrow.

I'm normally a primes only shooter, if this can hold me over until the Zeiss 12mm shows up I'll be happy.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:21 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

FlyPenFly wrote:

MFT also has the Olympus 12mm F2, the Olympus 60mm F2.8 (incredible lens, can't think of any AF lens that has as little CA of any kind including LoCA), the Panasonic Leica 45mm F2.8, the Panasonic 14-45mm, and all the really good.

i have to say i've been very underwhelmed by what i saw from the oly 12mm and it looks to me like the 10-18 could very well beat the panasonic, though it's a bit early to tell. haven't seen much from the oly macro, since i'm not much into macro. both it and the oly 75mm look like they might actually be extremely good, but they're in the focal range equivalent where there are a lot of extremely good lenses (and also one i don't really shoot in), so i'm not sure how much they stand out compared to the ZA 135mm, 135 L, and the various specialty macros.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alwang
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

FlyPenFly wrote:

I have no idea if it'll beat the Panasonic; all I can say is the samples from the LL article look very, very good to me. As good as any crop-sensor UWA zoom I've ever used. Assuming you can get this kind of detail consistently into the corners, the color cast is just not a big deal to me, and easily fixed, even if I used a NEX-7. Of course, I have a NEX-5N, so it's even more of a non-issue.

MFT also has the Olympus 12mm F2, the Olympus 60mm F2.8 (incredible lens, can't think of any AF lens that has as little CA of any kind including LoCA), the Panasonic Leica 45mm F2.8, the Panasonic 14-45mm, and all the really good Olympus 4/3 SWD lenses. Only two or three of those focus very fast but the rest at least you get weather sealing plus electronic aperture and IBIS and EXIF. Then there's also the Voightlander F0.95 lenses which are quite, quite good.

If you're going to include 4/3 lenses, then you pretty much have to include the whole a-mount lineup with LA-EA2. And if you're including the Voigt lenses, I'm not sure why we'd care about native vs. non-native at all, since apparently AF is not the issue. I do wish Sony had a high quality standard zoom like the Pany 14-45, since it sounds like the new Sony 16-50 is pretty lame.

Nov 29, 2012 at 10:09 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

Is there a new firmware fix for the 7?

Anywhere, getting magenta right and green left, only really apparent in the sky and not nearly as bad as that blogger's reviews showed.

Quite happy with the sharpness and the size is great and some of my low light stuff is great because the OSS works as advertised.

1/8 of a second at iso 1600 in a very dark space, no noise reduction or sharpening in ACR:

and detail of the sharpness and how effective the OSS is handheld:

Edited on Nov 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

timpdx wrote:
Is there a new firmware fix for the 7?

came out a month or so ago, is suppose to correct color shift with native lenses as well giving greater bracketing latitude and allowing you to disable the video button.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

I have the disabled video button firmware, thought there might be another FW since then, was hoping for a total fix on the color shift, and that explains why that bloggers review had so much color shift than my 7 does.

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

alwang wrote:
If you're going to include 4/3 lenses, then you pretty much have to include the whole a-mount lineup with LA-EA2. And if you're including the Voigt lenses, I'm not sure why we'd care about native vs. non-native at all, since apparently AF is not the issue. I do wish Sony had a high quality standard zoom like the Pany 14-45, since it sounds like the new Sony 16-50 is pretty lame.

Because you have to use a SLT mirror to get the AF speed of the 14-54 mk2 or 12-60 lenses. Those are incredible zooms and weather sealed with fast AF albeit contrast detect. The first is also quite a bit smaller than the ZA24-70 although I love that lens.

The problem is that the NEX-7 has not even any wide angle manual lenses that perform well unless you're using a longer register distance. With no factory battery grip, usability just isn't up to par with an OM-D when using bigger glass.

So essentially if you're a NEX-7 user, the widest usable lens is the Sigma 19mm F2.8 which is a nice lens but only 28mm.

Nov 30, 2012 at 01:38 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

FlyPenFly wrote:
... With no factory battery grip, usability just isn't up to par with an OM-D when using bigger glass.

I'm not debating the NEX-7 and which is the best wide angle lens combo, but if your implying that the NEX-7 would handle better with a grip, factory or otherwise, when using the LA-E1/2 or SLR adapters with larger lenses, then I agree with you. But, there is a solution:

The PalmGrip provides secure stability and support for heavier setups.

Nov 30, 2012 at 02:34 AM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

JimBuchanan wrote:
The PalmGrip provides secure stability and support for heavier setups.

I'm waiting eagerly for mine... It's in the mail!

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:43 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

I just received mine and can say it is better than I thought it was going to be! I shot some tests in the studio at all focal lengths and can say it was quite sharp and I could see hardly any purple edges with my NEX-7. I will test it more tomorrow in some real-world situations and post some results. I'll test it against the Sigma 19 mm and my Nikon 14 to 24 and see how it fares. It's quite light and a good solution as far as size wise goes for my travel case. If this lens is a keeper it will replace at least three lenses in my bag.

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:35 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

Half ever ready cases usually solve NEX handling issues.

Wide-angles are bit problem, but nothing that wouldnt adapter solve, if really needed. Maybe Sony will improve that eventually, but I think we will sooner see NEX 7 successor(without colorshift/smearing problems).

Dec 01, 2012 at 04:19 AM
timpdx
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony E-Mount 10-18mm Review

Well, I have had nothing but the 10-18 on my 7 for 2 days now including some work related shooting, and now feel totally confident and comfortable with my copy of the lens that I will have no reservations about taking it on my upcoming adventure to Burma and Singapore. It. It's quite sharp, the OSS works better than advertised, my shots with white sky are easily corrected, and I hardly ever shoot a white sky anyways. I look forward to the Zeiss 12, but I really have not seen any better than this lens for WA or UWA.

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:43 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password