New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

chrislambeth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

I'm shooting a 5d mark ii right now with a 50L. I rarely shoot over 400iso and am mostly shooting portraits. However, my shots are almost always out of focus. Not from Motion blur. I was wondering if anyone knew how much more accurate the 1ds mark ii's focusing system is compared to the 5d's. I don't do video or anything either. So loosing that isn't an issue.

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

The 1DsII has a lot better AF. Especially if you like to use the non center AF points. It also has a lot more focus points. 45 instead of 9 if I remember right.

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:59 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

1DsII definitely has a lot better AF. At the same time keep in mind that 50L also has a reputation of suffering from focus shift which could be a cause of your issues. I haven't used this lens myself so I don't know how real that problem is in practice, but if it is the cause of your issues then it might not be solved by having a better camera

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:03 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

And btw you will get much better response by posting this in canon forum instead of general gear forum

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:17 PM
Csae
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

If youre getting out of focus shots with the 5d2 using the center only, the 1ds2 won't help you much.

In fact, it might hurt you, the 1ds2 does not have MA like the 5d2 does.

The 1ds2 AF is better overall, but the 50L is difficult to use, so a better AF system might not help you.

What kind of OOF issues exactly are you having ?

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:22 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d mark ii AF system VS 1ds mark ii

It's curious to me that I have both an ancient 1D2n and 1Ds2, and with all of my lenses, (about a dozen or so), each lens focuses just about perfectly, just about every time. I had a 50D for a while, as well as a 1D3, and had nothing but aggravation with focusing issues (all the same glass) and trying to correct with MA. Wish I could say why this is true, but I know I'm not the only one. Some lenses have been calibrated by Canon service, others not.

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:10 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.