FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              94      
       96              356       357       end

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

HelenaN
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.95 #1 · p.95 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Thanks everyone for the input! What sebboh suggests makes a lot of sense; that the huge dynamic range makes it tempting to go a bit too far with the shadow lifting and highlight recovery. I'll keep it in mind the next time it occurs.

Sep 24, 2013 at 03:34 PM
ebookman
• • •
p.95 #2 · p.95 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Some more from our trip up to north-eastern Norway:

Helena -- I love the light in the northern latitudes and you capture it so well!

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.95 #3 · p.95 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input! What sebboh suggests makes a lot of sense; that the huge dynamic range makes it tempting to go a bit too far with the shadow lifting and highlight recovery. I'll keep it in mind the next time it occurs.

another issue with this particular photo is that it is split toned – highlights are sepia and shadows are selenium. i'm not sure exactly how lightroom deals with the transition point from light to shadow particularly with shadow recovery jacked up all the way...

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:51 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.95 #4 · p.95 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

A couple using pano mode. Sometimes this works quite well!

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.95 #5 · p.95 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
That example from sebboh seemed to be because of stitching different sky tones, which isn't really an RX1 issue.

In-camera vignetting correction in a lot of cameras can be an issue, too. I leave mine off.

My apologies. I got confused.

Another thing to consider is that all RX1 (and A99/A77) raw files are compressed. They're essentially using the same compression as the old "cRAW" option on the A900, and it can be slightly lossy. If I remember correctly, the raws are compressed down into only 11 bits of tonal value, so that could cause this occasional issue when things are cranked in the raw converter.

Sep 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.95 #6 · p.95 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
My apologies. I got confused.

Another thing to consider is that all RX1 (and A99/A77) raw files are compressed. They're essentially using the same compression as the old "cRAW" option on the A900, and it can be slightly lossy. If I remember correctly, the raws are compressed down into only 11 bits of tonal value, so that could cause this occasional issue when things are cranked in the raw converter.

I didn't know that, though I should have from owning the a900 (which offered a non lossy raw option). Sony really should be offering the option of a non lossy raw in addition to cRAW on all of their higher end cameras.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:20 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.95 #7 · p.95 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I didn't know that, though I should have from owning the a900 (which offered a non lossy raw option). Sony really should be offering the option of a non lossy raw in addition to cRAW on all of their higher end cameras.

I'd imagine that the smaller files that Sony gets by using cRAW in the newer cameras allows them to use smaller buffers and whatnot while still maintaining fast frame rates. I've also read that using continuous shooting mode on the A99 means they use a 12 bit file that is compressed down, rather than the 14 bit file of single shot mode.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:26 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.95 #8 · p.95 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
I'd imagine that the smaller files that Sony gets by using cRAW in the newer cameras allows them to use smaller buffers and whatnot while still maintaining fast frame rates. I've also read that using continuous shooting mode on the A99 means they use a 12 bit file that is compressed down, rather than the 14 bit file of single shot mode.

Sure would be nice to know if the 12 bit vs 14 bit in single shot vs continuous drive mode of the A99 was also the case with the RX1.

I suspect all this is academic though as I sort of doubt sebboh's posterization issue is due to this.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:38 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.95 #9 · p.95 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sure would be nice to know if the 12 bit vs 14 bit in single shot vs continuous drive mode of the A99 was also the case with the RX1.

I suspect all this is academic though as I sort of doubt sebboh's posterization issue is due to this.

Oh, the A99 still compresses both the 12 bit and 14 bit files down to 11 bits, so it isn't any better in that regard.

I'm kind of wondering if this may be the issue, once you add jpeg compression on top of the built-in raw compression.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:43 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.95 #10 · p.95 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
Oh, the A99 still compresses both the 12 bit and 14 bit files down to 11 bits, so it isn't any better in that regard.

Well, 12 bit vs 14 bit in the raws makes no difference (as was fully explored a few years back) so I just figured that 1 extra bit might not matter. I could be wrong.

I really think his issue would have been there regardless due to how much cooking the file has gone through. Maxing out the shadow recovery alone might not do it but combined with other editing (split toning, possibly pushing one of the channels hard in the B&W conversion)...the only raws I have played with that can withstand those sort of extremes with subtle tonal transitions were from MF sensors.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.95 #11 · p.95 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I love how well this sensor handles shooting into the sun.

Sep 24, 2013 at 06:59 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.95 #12 · p.95 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Well, 12 bit vs 14 bit in the raws makes no difference (as was fully explored a few years back) so I just figured that 1 extra bit might not matter. I could be wrong.

I really think his issue would have been there regardless due to how much cooking the file has gone through. Maxing out the shadow recovery alone might not do it but combined with other editing (split toning, possibly pushing one of the channels hard in the B&W conversion)...the only raws I have played with that can withstand those sort of extremes with subtle tonal
...Show more

Here's one of the threads I found about it.
link

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:31 PM
rodizzle33
• • •
p.95 #13 · p.95 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I was having a little anxiety leaving my D800 home for a destination wedding in Maui. I am used to bringing lots of equipment, but I am glad left the big guns at home. The 35mm on the RX1 was wide enough for most cases!

Nothing beats Maui sunsets!

Maui Sunset - Sailing by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

Sunrays in Maui by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

Mama's Fish House - Sundown by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

Mama's Fish house sunset by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

Bamboo Forrest Maui by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

And of course the lovely couple:

Des and Alan by rodknee_ty2003, on Flickr

Edited on Sep 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM · View previous versions

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.95 #14 · p.95 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
Here's one of the threads I found about it.
link

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. The OP in that thread seemed to know his stuff. Maybe there is something to this being the issue. Dang, now I really wish we had a non-lossy raw format as an option.

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:31 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.95 #15 · p.95 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

rodizzle33 – awesome tropical sunset shots!

Tariq Gibran wrote:

I really think his issue would have been there regardless due to how much cooking the file has gone through. Maxing out the shadow recovery alone might not do it but combined with other editing (split toning, possibly pushing one of the channels hard in the B&W conversion)...the only raws I have played with that can withstand those sort of extremes with subtle tonal
...Show more

for what it's worth the color version of the same shot where i didn't touch the shadows but pulled the highlights all the way back doesn't show any posterization.

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.95 #16 · p.95 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Beautiful sunset photos Bob and rodizzle33!

Some more from my trip to Oslo:

Sep 25, 2013 at 05:13 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.95 #17 · p.95 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Helena - That second images just rocks. I love the rendering.

Change of pace . . . some old books in a small town historical museum.

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.95 #18 · p.95 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Not the greatest shot still getting used to the camera. I'm leaving for Tacoma this weekend maybe I'll get some decent shots up there

Untitled by dpedraza15, on Flickr

I keep forget to turn off my watermark in Lightroom

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.95 #19 · p.95 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

That is a great shot, but I wish it was a little larger. Very nice atmosphere in it.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:28 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.95 #20 · p.95 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
That is a great shot, but I wish it was a little larger. Very nice atmosphere in it.

+1

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:29 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.