1       2       3              8      
       10              357       358       end

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

SimonBl
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Ok if those were the actual sunset colors I would always prefer the RX1. There is not even a hint of purple in those clouds in the Canon shot.

Don't forget, I tweaked each shot separately. I may well have inadvertently tweaked out the purple/pink. I will have another look tomorrow, I am on the iPad now :-). The exercise was more intended to show clarity and detail.

Nite, nite...

Dec 17, 2012 at 09:55 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Great shots all!

I haven't had time to really test my camera for stills as I'm still testing it for video use. I must admit the macro mode is pretty cool for both stills and video. Focus peaking definitely helped but I still wished Sony did not cripple focus peaking and live histogram in manual video mode. Battery performance is probably the most disappointing aspect on this camera for me. Really poor.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Makten
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

h00ligan wrote:
I wonder how much of that is down to raw support issues possibly. Or are you seeing it in jpg too?

That is an edited JPG, but I think some of the cast is "real" and not due to the sensor.

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM
joanlvh
• • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Simon BL which was RX1, which was canon? Thanks joanlvh

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:46 AM
alwang
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
There aren't many Sony or Nikon AF 35/1.4 or 35/2 lenses in existence, period. The Nikon 35/2 lenses have very different boke. The AF 35/1.4 is very good, but doesn't render like Zeiss lenses. There is only one Sony AF 35/1.4, and it has a controversial image quality, also not Zeiss-like. The only way to get an AF lens which renders Zeiss-like might be to get one of the AF Zeiss zooms, i.e. max f/2.8... FWIW, the Canon 35L is more like the Nikon 35/1.4G than like Zeiss lenses, although I slightly prefer the Nikon in this case, for its
...Show more

In addition to the Sony 35/1.4, there's the Minolta 35/2 which is considered very good, though perhaps not Zeiss-like. There is also of course the Sigma 35/1.4 in Sony a-mount.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:10 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Ah right, I completely forgot to mention the Sigma. I was intending to. Some preliminary tests and test shots show a lot of promise, but I have also heard some much less favorable comments, so I guess we will have to wait until a real Alt photographer gets one

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I picked 1+2 correctly but feel it was the 50/50 lotto effect at work more than anything. I stared at shadow areas and picked the RX1 based on that but honestly in this size I couldn't see much difference. Just a wild assed guess.

SimonBl wrote:
Do you want a full size crop? If so, nominate an area...

Sure, I love these games! A crop extending from the top of the woodside building down to the curb of the sidewalk?

PS: Where was the focus point?

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:56 AM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Chose the Canon in that one. To be fair, it was stopped down a bit more.

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:19 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

michaelwatkins wrote:
I picked 1+2 correctly but feel it was the 50/50 lotto effect at work more than anything. I stared at shadow areas and picked the RX1 based on that but honestly in this size I couldn't see much difference. Just a wild assed guess.

Sure, I love these games! A crop extending from the top of the woodside building down to the curb of the sidewalk?

I think it has to do with output. If you crush the full file to 1024. With no special steps. Meh.

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:28 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
Ah right, I completely forgot to mention the Sigma. I was intending to. Some preliminary tests and test shots show a lot of promise, but I have also heard some much less favorable comments, so I guess we will have to wait until a real Alt photographer gets one

Regarding the sigma here is a nice comparison done at lensrentals: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/12/another-35mm-lens-for-canon. quite promising!

Dec 17, 2012 at 01:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rx-play

p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I did a bit of a comparison between the RX1 and the Nikon D3 + 35mm on my blog. I haven't posted any commentary yet, so I'll leave it to you to decide whether the RX1 stacks up

http://www.rx-play.com

Dec 17, 2012 at 03:15 PM
SimonBl
• •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

joanlvh wrote:
Simon BL which was RX1, which was canon? Thanks joanlvh

Sorry, #2 was from the Canon combo.

I'll do some more tonight, full sized crops, without crushing the blacks

Dec 17, 2012 at 05:54 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

rx-play wrote:
I did a bit of a comparison between the RX1 and the Nikon D3 + 35mm on my blog. I haven't posted any commentary yet, so I'll leave it to you to decide whether the RX1 stacks up

rx1 looks very good, more detail (obviously with the extra pixels), but looks sharper per pixel as well. the difference doesn't seem to be as great in the corners as in the center though. are these out of camera jpegs? the rx1 looks noisier in the edges than in the center, i'm wondering if that is due to vignetting correction being turned on?

Dec 17, 2012 at 06:02 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Thanks for clarifying, +1 To sebbohs comment
Joanlvh

Edited on Dec 17, 2012 at 09:55 PM · View previous versions

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:31 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

rx-play wrote:

HK!!! I just came back from there. Very lovely!! I wish I went around sunset to get something like your test shots, but it was mostly overcast and I shopped in Champagne Court for a few hours before getting to the pier. Thanks for the comparison, I think people are waiting for a Zeiss + FF combo, to even things out

Besides the Zeiss name and rendering, reportedly in one of the recent tests of the 35mm (comparing Sigma to the rest), the Nikon came out least sharp. I believe it was LensTip.

Dec 17, 2012 at 07:39 PM
onpaws

p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Haha I don't have the zeiss to compare. LensRentals and another place has said the sigma is consistently sharper than the canon and Nikon offerings. Hard for me to believe given how sharp the Nikon is at the center!

The JPEG's are from Lightroom, after minimal adjustments to get them to the same color temperature, and with lens corrections and some small cropping (the Sony is oddly a bit wider than the Nikon). The distortion on the Sony is prominent enough for landscapes to warrant turning on distortion correction, though probably not prominent enough for daily shooting. That may account for some of the less per-pixel sharpness.

I've included the "full-res" images for your revenue as well

Dec 17, 2012 at 08:30 PM
SimonBl
• •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

michaelwatkins wrote:

Please note, I haven't reedited at all since yesterday, just applied the crop requested.

Focus point was roughly centre frame, but I think I had multi-point enabled.

Dec 18, 2012 at 04:50 AM
SimonBl
• •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I have another set of full frame for comparison if no-one objects, or should I post in a new thread? If there are no objections in a couple of hours, I'll post them up. I spent a bit more time trying to match them this time :-)

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:04 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

SimonBl wrote:
I have another set of full frame for comparison if no-one objects, or should I post in a new thread? If there are no objections in a couple of hours, I'll post them up. I spent a bit more time trying to match them this time :-)

As long as you post images from the RX1, they are much more useful in this thread than noise like, say, my comments

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:06 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Excellent comparison Simon! Hard to pick the difference
Shots this evening @6400 ISO

Edited on Dec 18, 2012 at 06:07 AM · View previous versions

Dec 18, 2012 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.