FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              71      
       73              356       357       end

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

andrenth
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.72 #1 · p.72 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Come on guys, why rely on PP for this when you can have OOC watercolor with X-Trans?

*runs*

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:22 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.72 #2 · p.72 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

thx to Millsart for tip concerning converting pic after the fact and having a copy of original and watercolor effect.

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:32 PM
P.F.
• •
p.72 #3 · p.72 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
yes, but only in camera and only to jpgs it seems. i've been shooting raw + jpeg, copying to my computer, then deciding which are good candidates, and putting the card back in the camera to convert those shots.

Excellent idea! It even works with developed raw, not needed to shoot raw+jpg.

Jul 17, 2013 at 01:55 PM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.72 #4 · p.72 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh, fascinating tree photos (p.72 #9). They look great in B&W, and almost a bit spooky. Like they could have reached out and grabbed you. And what a scene with the raccoons! Hope I'll get to see one in real life some day.
Bob, nice B&W landscapes and what a great sky.
Charles, very pretty scene and photo of it.
Thyraz, that is really cool. Great textures and details.

I had some errands in town today and brought RX1. Here are some shots (first one is inspired by sebboh ). It was fun to photograph something other than landscapes for a change:

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:15 PM
P.F.
• •
p.72 #5 · p.72 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I spent the morning with a family of marmots. 35mm was a little short, not as easy as pigeons. But here is one picture of the area where they live.

Jul 17, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Thyraz

p.72 #6 · p.72 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

@Helena thx.

Love the escalotor shot.
Very nice colors and light.

Here's a new one from me:

Jul 17, 2013 at 04:17 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.72 #7 · p.72 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Is that not Berlin? Rosenthaler Platz (just down the street from where I live)?

Jul 17, 2013 at 04:36 PM
yofredmoik

p.72 #8 · p.72 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I just bought an RX1 from the second-hand market and have a couple of quick questions:

1. Is there any way to have a customize a dedicated focus button (and decouple auto-focus activation from shutter button)?

2. Is it possible to store stills and videos in the same folder? Or do I have to flip back and forth between folders when reviewing both formats on the camera?

I really enjoy how lightweight and discreet this camera is but need some time to measure how much functionality is retained and not compromised compared to a full frame DSLR, the utilitarian king. If its not practical to use, the RX1 is going back to the market. Still a bit wary of the CyberShot classification.

Yofred

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:45 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.72 #9 · p.72 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

yofredmoik wrote:
I just bought an RX1 from the second-hand market and have a couple of quick questions:

1. Is there any way to have a customize a dedicated focus button (and decouple auto-focus activation from shutter button)?

2. Is it possible to store stills and videos in the same folder? Or do I have to flip back and forth between folders when reviewing both formats on the camera?

I really enjoy how lightweight and discreet this camera is but need some time to measure how much functionality is retained and not compromised compared to a full frame DSLR, the utilitarian king. If its not
...Show more

Why does the Cybershot classification worry you ? Would your feelings really change if they called it something else ?

Video and stills go in different folders, just the (annoying) way Sony does things, but the RX1 really isn't that great of video camera IMHO (love my RX100 video though), so I've never found it to be an issue since I don't use it in that matter.

Don't think you can have a AF on button, at least I haven't found a way yet.

I think if your expecting DSLR utility from a fixed lens compact camera, you probably can pack it back up right now though.

It can give you the image quality of a DSLR, but its not going to give you the versatility of different focal lengths, the AF, the frame rates, the OVF, the battery life etc.

On the other hand, you can also carry it in a jacket pocket or around your neck all day and hardly know its there, which certainly can't be said for any DSLR's of comparable image quality.

Jul 17, 2013 at 06:56 PM
dovey
• •
p.72 #10 · p.72 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Helena,
I love your sense of humour, it comes out in your photos, the fun and playfulness that regularly appears in them.
This most recent set, priceless. Number 2 has the workman reflecting the action of the poster behind him. Number 3 has the great greeting from the woman as you come over.
Number 4 has that woman and the graffiti juxtaposed perfectly, the cloud over the graffiti seeming to show her thoughts.
Thanks again

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

douglasf13
• • • • •
p.72 #11 · p.72 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

yofredmoik wrote:

I really enjoy how lightweight and discreet this camera is but need some time to measure how much functionality is retained and not compromised compared to a full frame DSLR, the utilitarian king. If its not
...Show more

1. Yes, it is in the menus. You can even assign AF to more than one button.

2. No, and all Sony cameras operate this way, I believe. The quickest way to switch back and forth is to hit the "PLAY" button, then the "Fn" button, then hit the left keypad to select the area to the left of your pics. From there, you can toggle between the video and still review modes.

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:40 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.72 #12 · p.72 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

P.F. wrote:
Excellent idea! It even works with developed raw, not needed to shoot raw+jpg.

really, i can't get it to work on raw files if there's no jpg?

edit: oh did you mean you develop the raw on your computer and save the resulting jpg on the memory card and put it back in the camera to apply the effect?

yofredmoik wrote:

Yofred

you can assign autofocus activation to any one of 6 buttons. i have mine set to the C button. to decouple AF from the shutter button simply set the camera to manual focus and assign AF activation to whatever button you choose.

Jul 17, 2013 at 07:54 PM
yofredmoik

p.72 #13 · p.72 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Wow, thank you for the quick responses Millsart, Douglas, and Sebboh!

I probably over-exaggerated my concern over the CyberShot tag. I've always associated that label with Sony's consumer products, instead of being designed for the prosumer or professional. This is my first Sony camera so I'm still warming up to them. It's good to see them start to shed their reputation for targeting gadget aficionados more than the artist demographic. Since a good portion of the lens is embedded inside the body (and the sensor being placed at the very back of the body), it enables high performance in a tiny package. I think this parallels the actions Apple took when they started glueing batteries inside their laptops to make them slimmer. It prevented interchangeability and initially prompted criticism, but it prioritized the industrial design and user experience and eventually won mainstream approval. The full frame NEX may be an epitome of ironic camera design if the lenses dwarf the body. Sony will have to engineer the proportions very carefully.

Jul 17, 2013 at 08:36 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.72 #14 · p.72 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Wow, I never could figure out how to assign the AF to another button, or more accurately, how to get it to work like I wanted. I kept trying the AF/MF hold option, but it didn't do anything because I didn't know you had to have the camera set to manual focus. I always had it set to AF and all it would do it toggle af/mf. I never even though to try it starting with MF mode

Jul 17, 2013 at 09:44 PM
P.F.
• •
p.72 #15 · p.72 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
edit: oh did you mean you develop the raw on your computer and save the resulting jpg on the memory card and put it back in the camera to apply the effect?

Yes, exactly.

Jul 18, 2013 at 01:59 AM
Thyraz

p.72 #16 · p.72 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
Is that not Berlin? Rosenthaler Platz (just down the street from where I live)?

Yes, was for a short trip in Berlin last Week.

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:02 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.72 #17 · p.72 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
it's kinda hit or miss with peoples faces. up close it often looks quite good, but sometimes can exaggerate circles under the eyes etc. at mid distances it often only gets one or two facial features so things turn out rather picassoesque. at longer distances it's great (millsart posted a few night ones with people a few pages back) and abstract. nobody is recognizable.

In general, it seems to work best with photos with greater DOF.

Jul 18, 2013 at 02:49 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.72 #18 · p.72 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I shot some murals in very low light, here are two.

Jul 18, 2013 at 03:00 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.72 #19 · p.72 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Another from the evening walk with the great light:

Barn with a view by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Jul 18, 2013 at 07:14 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.72 #20 · p.72 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Helena and Philip - Lovely images from both!

Some black and white landscapes from this morning.

© Bob Israel 2013

© Bob Israel 2013

Jul 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.