Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              52      
       54              265       266       end

RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.53 #1 · p.53 #1 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
Looks great, Tariq. I just haven't been getting along with this X100s, so I ordered the RX1 a few days ago, and I also hope to enjoy using it on our 15mo. old.

Thanks Douglas. I can't tell my wife I posted an image of one of our kids as she usually freaks out about stuff like that.

I'm sure the RX1 will feel very familiar to you, particularly if you get the EVF. The lens/ IQ continues to surprise me - in a very positive way. I can't recall the last time I owned a lens which seemed to be good at just about everything. Nice bokeh and contrast for people/ portraits yet as sharp as you would ever want for landscape and other subject matter. Surprisingly to me, I find myself using face detection AF when shooting the kids pretty often.

May 27, 2013 at 07:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.53 #2 · p.53 #2 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks Douglas. I can't tell my wife I posted an image of one of our kids as she usually freaks out about stuff like that.

I'm sure the RX1 will feel very familiar to you, particularly if you get the EVF. The lens/ IQ continues to surprise me - in a very positive way. I can't recall the last time I owned a lens which seemed to be good at just about everything. Nice bokeh and contrast for people/ portraits yet as sharp as you would ever want for landscape and other subject matter. Surprisingly to me, I find myself
...Show more

Yeah, I've been following your posts a bit, and I'm excited about the IQ. I figure that it'll shoot more or less like a NEX, which I'm ok with, since I can't quite get along with the X100s, and the m240 is too pricey for me. I'll keep the face detection thing in mind.

I ordered both the EVF and a Voigtlander OVF, since I've been doing some zone focusing stuff, lately. I hope Sony fixes the auto-return to infinity focus when powering down, though.

May 27, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.53 #3 · p.53 #3 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Nice pic of your son Tariq! Very cute kid!
@Douglasf13...I find that using the face recognition works really well! I'm only using the screen without the viewfinder. I like the idea of just using it like a P&S..then people don't really think you're taking good photos!! "Oh, he just a P&S...he can't really be taking anything that's worth it"!!
Gregg

May 27, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.53 #4 · p.53 #4 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

A few more recent shots...
Thanks for looking...
Gregg

untouched .jpg SOOC

just missed focus

Gio and his monkey!!

May 27, 2013 at 08:23 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.53 #5 · p.53 #5 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Greggf wrote:
Nice pic of your son Tariq! Very cute kid!
@Douglasf13...I find that using the face recognition works really well! I'm only using the screen without the viewfinder. I like the idea of just using it like a P&S..then people don't really think you're taking good photos!! "Oh, he just a P&S...he can't really be taking anything that's worth it"!!
Gregg

I've been considering that, too. I may carry it daily without the viewfinder, only to add it occasionally.

May 27, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.53 #6 · p.53 #6 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Thanks Gregg. Nice images of yours as well. I particularly like the oof rendering in the last three shots.

As far as the EVF goes, as much as I hate them, I have become spoiled by using it on the RX1. It pretty much stays glued to the top.

May 27, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.53 #7 · p.53 #7 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Thanks Tariq! this lens really is incredible...especially for a P&S!
After I rented the RX1 from Roger, I realized once it got here, that I could have rented the EVF alongside the camera. If and when I buy one(it goes back to Roger this week!), I will probably go that route, too.
Gregg

May 27, 2013 at 08:55 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.53 #8 · p.53 #8 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Yeah, it'll be nice to have the EVF option. Assuming that I use it like my old 5N, I probably won't even use an eyecup with the EVF, so it will be relatively compact for throwing in a pocket.

May 27, 2013 at 09:16 PM
teseg

p.53 #9 · p.53 #9 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Gregg and Tariq, when the RX1 first came out, many commented that the AF was not capable of capturing good child photography. Glad you did not pay attention because your shots really are great.

Thanks Helena, nice cafe shot. I need to experiment more with symmetrical shooting.

One thing I miss about carrying around the RX1 almost exclusively is taking BIF shots. This weekend I caught a flock of cranes passing our marina. I guess this will have to do until the RX9 with 300mm+ focal length comes out.

Morning Stroll by TE Segletes, on Flickr

-Tom

May 28, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.53 #10 · p.53 #10 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

^^^^^beautiful shot Tom!!
Gregg

May 28, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

HelenaN
• • •
p.53 #11 · p.53 #11 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Wayne, thank you for the feedback! Really appreciated, both good and "bad". Yes, this is the same polarizer as before. I do intend to try and find a thinner one, but does that really help with uneven coloration of the sky? I thought that the only drawback with a thicker one is more vignetting, which should be the same in all corners, but I'm very ignorant about these things.

Gregg, yes your son is really cute with that curly hair, so I can see how some people mistake him for a girl at this stage. I was unclear with this sentence though: "I especially like the ones of your(?) boy". I meant that I wasn't sure if he was yours. He could have been your nephew or something and I didn't want to assume.

Tariq, that is a lovely portrait! Nice tones too.

Tom, great composition with all those vertical lines, and perfect timing with the birds.

May 28, 2013 at 07:49 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.53 #12 · p.53 #12 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Wayne, thank you for the feedback! Really appreciated, both good and "bad". Yes, this is the same polarizer as before. I do intend to try and find a thinner one, but does that really help with uneven coloration of the sky? I thought that the only drawback with a thicker one is more vignetting, which should be the same in all corners, but I'm very ignorant about these things.

I still like the farm and church image and wish you kept it posted. Sorry, maybe using the word ruined was not the best choice. I think your polarizer is causing darkness in the top corner away from the sun. Maybe you could try another slimmer one to see if it fixes the problem. I have not seen this type of thing with my polarizer and have shot it with different angles to the sun.

May 28, 2013 at 09:10 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.53 #13 · p.53 #13 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Thanks Gregg & Helena!

Your old Distagon 1,4/35 has got a serious rival in the RX1, Helena. I like both, but as the size&weight of the 1,4/35 lens alone is more than the RX1 it doesīt get as much use it deserves right now.

Jochenb - beautiful light in the pier shot!
Helena - where did your first three images go? The discussion about differing individual preferences is interesting. I liked all of them and think the mid day summer light in the first one was well handled.
Tariq - great natural expression in the portrait of your son.
Gregg - I like the different moods the last set of images of your youngest son!
Tom - great composition of patterns/ reflections/ repetitions in your last shot. Beautiful colours as well.

I havenīt read the full length of both RX1 threads, but I read early on about the colour shift issue. I havenīt done any serious testing of this, but I see some color shift in my images, I think it is quite apparent in my first set in this thread that the left side has a greenish tint. Checking the internet, I came across this review which says that the colour shift only occurs if shading compensation is on:

"if you want to avoid the issue entirely, you're going to have to turn shading compensation off, even if you're shooting RAW, and then handle any shading corrections in Photoshop."

Is this in line with your experience? If so, it sounds fine with me, I prefer to compensate vignetting myself in LR anyway.

Edited on May 28, 2013 at 01:03 PM · View previous versions

May 28, 2013 at 09:14 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.53 #14 · p.53 #14 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Nice shots Tariq, Gregg, Teseg,...

Helena, I don't think using a thinner polarizer will make any difference. Like you said, it helps for reducing vignetting (if you notice any) but not for uneven exposure in the sky. It's a big downside of using one on a wideangle lens.
Twoeye, I have shading compensation turned on and I'm hardly noticing any problems actually. I'll have to do some testing with it turned off. It's not the same as correcting vignetting BTW, which only works for jpegs.

May 28, 2013 at 09:33 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.53 #15 · p.53 #15 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Wayne, thanks again! I didn't feel bad at all because of anything you or someone else said. I meant it when I said that I appreciate all kinds of feedback. It's just after have read the comments I started to notice all sorts of faults with them. Now I realize that deleting probably wasn't a good idea since we have talked so much about them (confusing for other visitors), so I added them again.

twoeye, thank you!
I know what you mean. I really liked the ZE, but in the end I always ended up taking RX1. The weight difference is just too obvious, it's nice to have AF and RX1's sensor is so good!
My color shift issues were minor even from the start, but did show up in a few shots. After turning shading compensation off it seems to have disappeared completely.

Jochen, that's what I thought, but then Wayne says that he doesn't get uneven sky with his, so I'm confused.

--

Normally I don't do paid photography, because I have already "ruined" a hobby (drawing) by making it into a job, but when someone asked for photos of his ecological farm I couldn't resist because I love animals and taking photos of them. He wanted shots that he can use for marketing, that show how happy his animals are. And they are! I wish all farm animals could have such a good life.

I'll post more when I have processed them, but here is one of my favorites:

Sleepy pig by Helena Normark, on Flickr

May 28, 2013 at 10:44 AM
teseg

p.53 #16 · p.53 #16 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Helena, that is the best pig shot I have ever seen!

All, thanks for the kind and supportive words with regards to my marina shot. The colors I get from the RX1, particularly around water, I really enjoy. I find the colors and the AWB so much better than I can get from my NEX system, even with my Zeiss 24mm, although that lens renders colors pretty good. The cheaper Sony lenses just do not turn out rich and natural colors compared to the RX1. Of course (just call me Captain Obvious), Sony helped clarify the differentiation in their pricing.

May 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.53 #17 · p.53 #17 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

As far as color shift with the RX1, I have been looking for it and the only time I noticed a slight hint of it in the sky, changing the profile from Adobe Standard to Camera Standard seemed to minimize it. With some shots, the Adobe Standard profile tends to result in magenta tinted blue skies by default so any color shift in the corner appears more obvious. Changing the camera profile to Camera Standard removes the magenta cast and seems to make subtle color shifts less noticeable if/ when they show up. I have yet to see a real world shot where I wasn't really testing for it that any color shift, such as in the corners, has been really noticeable.

Below are pretty much the worst cases I have seen with my RX1 regarding color shift. Same image, first example converted using Adobe Standard and the second example using Camera Standard.

May 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.53 #18 · p.53 #18 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Funny shot Helena. Looks like that pig thinks she's a wild boar in a forest.

I forgot to say something about my ex-35/1.4 ZE in my previous post. I think I prefer it's rendering over the 35/2 Sonnar. It feels more subtle and I like it's "2 in 1" behaviour. More dreamy softer look wide open, amazing fine detail stopped down. Great colors.
However, I don't regret selling it. That lens is large, heavy and quite difficult to focus. The Sonnar is amazing as well, just different. I'm perfectly happy with it.

May 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM
twoeye
• • •
p.53 #19 · p.53 #19 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

I have turned shading compensation off, hoping thatīs an easy fix. I think a slight colour shift has been quite apparent in many of my images, at least when you look for it.

May 28, 2013 at 01:05 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.53 #20 · p.53 #20 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

I at first thought that pig was a boar! It's nice to see a pig in the wild with natural surroundings and not behind some fence. I think the shot achieves it's intention.

May 28, 2013 at 01:06 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password