FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              51      
       53              356       357       end

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Greggf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.52 #1 · p.52 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

@Teseg...Aruba, on my way!!! (dream a little dream!)... Nice shot!!
@Bob...the first two are fantastic! Love the rainy blacktop with the reflections!!
Gregg

May 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.52 #2 · p.52 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

RX1 does the cemetery

May 24, 2013 at 07:38 AM
joe88
• • • •
p.52 #3 · p.52 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Very nice Ryan! RX1 looking good in your hands.

May 24, 2013 at 07:56 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.52 #4 · p.52 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I like your B&W conversions Bob.

Male romance by Jochen-B, on Flickr

May 26, 2013 at 05:07 PM
Greggf
• • • •
p.52 #5 · p.52 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I really like the third and last shots, Ryan!
Gregg

May 27, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.52 #6 · p.52 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

A few more from the RX-1. Have to send it back later this week to Roger. Think I'm going to miss it!! The 2 monochrome were converted from RAW, btw.
Gregg

f4

f2

Water fun!!! @f2.8 with fill flash

May 27, 2013 at 01:41 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.52 #7 · p.52 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Very attractive, Gregg and Jochen, not to single you out but yours are last posted. The sensor is very fine for shadow detail and highlight detail, both. Probably theSuede can shoot me down for saying so but this looks like the extra DR to me.

At base ISO you get 1 stop more than the a900 and 2.5 stops over the most used current FF DSLR - Canon's 5dIII (yet it is just as good up to 25,600).

That is a lot of extra room to move - for blonde highlights in a young boy's hair, and good colour tone and contrast in rocks and concrete blocks at sunset. It's like around half the difference between colour neg film compared with slide film, much less blocking, and it provides much more creative choice re overall tone placement.

May 27, 2013 at 02:30 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.52 #8 · p.52 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Thanks everyone for nice comments and likes!

twoeye, great to see you here. What will you do with "my" ZE 35/1.4 now..? I like your abstract urban set. Really nice use of light vs shadows and colors vs shapes.
Bob, sorry to hear about the dust spot! Hope you'll have the camera back soon. The two B&W from your recent set looks great. Your conversions are really nice.
Gregg, very nice photos. I especially like the ones of your(?) boy and the B&W ones.
Tom, the first is lovely! The water looks like silk and the greens are so fresh.
Ryan, nice set from the cemetery.
Jochen, great mood in that one!

Two spring shots:

Rotvoll by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Farm and a church by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Edited on May 28, 2013 at 05:28 AM · View previous versions

May 27, 2013 at 05:31 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.52 #9 · p.52 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

And inside a café by the fjord:

Sponhuset Café by Helena Normark, on Flickr

May 27, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.52 #10 · p.52 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Thanks Philip and Helena.
So different now that the snow's gone Helena. I like the farm/church and the café best.
What happened to the first one BTW? It looks like a small part of the photo is missing, top right (you see it better when you click on it).

May 27, 2013 at 06:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

HelenaN
• • • •
p.52 #11 · p.52 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Thank you Jochen! Oops, you're right. The horizon needed straightening, so I rotated the photo and wasn't careful enough when cropping. I have fixed and replaced it now.

Btw. it's always interesting how one's own favorites often are different to what everyone else likes. I like the first the most, then the café. The farm/church the least because it's cluttered and the sky looks like I over-used "clarity" even though I haven't touched it.

May 27, 2013 at 06:57 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.52 #12 · p.52 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you Jochen! Oops, you're right. The horizon needed straightening, so I rotated the photo and wasn't careful enough when cropping. I have fixed and replaced it now.

Btw. it's always interesting how one's own favorites often are different to what everyone else likes. I like the first the most, then the café. The farm/church the least because it's cluttered and the sky looks like I over-used "clarity" even though I haven't touched it.

Yes our preferences are all different. I like the first one the least. Not because of the composition, but because (for my taste) the light is too harsh for this scene. It looks like it was shot at noon.

May 27, 2013 at 07:17 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.52 #13 · p.52 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Yes our preferences are all different. I like the first one the least. Not because of the composition, but because (for my taste) the light is too harsh for this scene. It looks like it was shot at noon.

Yes, it was and I thought the light was wonderful that day. There were several other photographers out and even a model shoot going on close to this spot.
(I better add that I'm not the least bit offended. I just find it fascinating that people's tastes can differ so much.)

May 27, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.52 #14 · p.52 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
(I better add that I'm not the least bit offended. I just find it fascinating that people's tastes can differ so much.)

I'm glad about that. Maybe I also like the farm/church because we don't see those kind of buildings over here. They look so charming. Colorful, made of wood,...

May 27, 2013 at 07:29 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.52 #15 · p.52 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Thank you Helena! The youngest is also a boy, Giovanni. My wife and I get the " is that a boy?", a lot. And it's ok, he has very feminine features, and several friends have commented that he could pose as cupid, or as a cherub!!!
I agree with Jochen. I really like the cafe shot, too. Something about it just catches my eye!! And I like the red buildings, too. I don't think the sky looks too pp'd. I've noticed that the with the RX1, it's very easy to do too much, and get that HDR look, when not even trying!!
And it is very easy to push shadows way beyond what I would expect! I think it even outdoes my 1D4!
Gregg

May 27, 2013 at 08:54 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.52 #16 · p.52 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Helena,
I like your cafe shot the best because it has perfect composition, very simple lines, and nice color. The compositions of the first and third do not work for me. The farm and church shot has a sky ruined by yourpolarizer as it makes the sky too dark blue in the left top corner and is not even across the frame. I would use a gradient and mask in ps to fix it. I remember your polarizer doing something similiar in some of your Lofoten shots. Is this the same one? I would try a B&W slim one like I have. It performs very evenly across the frame.

May 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.52 #17 · p.52 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Our 15mo. old son Henry.

May 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.52 #18 · p.52 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Our 15mo. old son Henry.

http://gibranstudio.com/HenryMay2013.jpg

Looks great, Tariq. I just haven't been getting along with this X100s, so I ordered the RX1 a few days ago, and I also hope to enjoy using it on our 15mo. old.

May 27, 2013 at 02:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.52 #19 · p.52 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

douglasf13 wrote:
Looks great, Tariq. I just haven't been getting along with this X100s, so I ordered the RX1 a few days ago, and I also hope to enjoy using it on our 15mo. old.

Thanks Douglas. I can't tell my wife I posted an image of one of our kids as she usually freaks out about stuff like that.

I'm sure the RX1 will feel very familiar to you, particularly if you get the EVF. The lens/ IQ continues to surprise me - in a very positive way. I can't recall the last time I owned a lens which seemed to be good at just about everything. Nice bokeh and contrast for people/ portraits yet as sharp as you would ever want for landscape and other subject matter. Surprisingly to me, I find myself using face detection AF when shooting the kids pretty often.

May 27, 2013 at 02:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.52 #20 · p.52 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Thanks Douglas. I can't tell my wife I posted an image of one of our kids as she usually freaks out about stuff like that.

I'm sure the RX1 will feel very familiar to you, particularly if you get the EVF. The lens/ IQ continues to surprise me - in a very positive way. I can't recall the last time I owned a lens which seemed to be good at just about everything. Nice bokeh and contrast for people/ portraits yet as sharp as you would ever want for landscape and other subject matter. Surprisingly to me, I find myself
...Show more

Yeah, I've been following your posts a bit, and I'm excited about the IQ. I figure that it'll shoot more or less like a NEX, which I'm ok with, since I can't quite get along with the X100s, and the m240 is too pricey for me. I'll keep the face detection thing in mind.

I ordered both the EVF and a Voigtlander OVF, since I've been doing some zone focusing stuff, lately. I hope Sony fixes the auto-return to infinity focus when powering down, though.

May 27, 2013 at 02:52 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.