Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              47      
       49              165       166       end

RX1(R) Image Thread

joe88
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.48 #1 · p.48 #1 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Nice to see new faces on this thread. I enjoy posts by all members here whether its 1 picture or 11 pictures. I think we should let members decide on their own if they want to post one or more than one picture and there should not be a need to police the thread. If someone posts too many shots for one's liking, just ignore and move on.

This being a picture post in the alt "gear" forum, I don't think it is the right place to get critique for our pictures. That is better served in the picture critique thread or better still with at a photography school or with a respected pro. I post here to share and also to enjoy pictures by others. I think the thread has been very civil so far, so lets keep to more pictures and less words, and if there are disagreements, send each other a PM

May 08, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Jochenb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.48 #2 · p.48 #2 · RX1(R) Image Thread

That's a nice flower shot Turnert.

Gold by Jochen-B, on Flickr

May 08, 2013 at 06:12 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.48 #3 · p.48 #3 · RX1(R) Image Thread

turnert, I really like #4 and 6.
Jochen, wow, that's some warm light! I saw the photo you posted in the Zeiss thread. Beautiful.

--

A couple of days ago I decided to take a longer walk than usual, to a lake called Lauglovatnet. At first I was disappointed to find that there still is quite a bit of snow and ice, then the sun disappeared behind clouds, but it turned out to be a fun walk and I took lots of photos. (Btw. I said earlier that urban stuff is my favorite subject, but realized that it's not true. Nothing beats being out in nature with the camera. So peaceful and relaxing.)

Detail of small waterfall by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Lauglovatnet by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Frozen Pine Tree branch by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Lauglovatnet by Helena Normark, on Flickr

May 08, 2013 at 08:02 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.48 #4 · p.48 #4 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Yes I feel the same Helena. Walking/shooting in nature is so peaceful and relaxing.
I like the waterfall and tree branch in the ice.

May 08, 2013 at 09:32 AM
MovinMan

p.48 #5 · p.48 #5 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Beautiful shots Helena.....I must make more time to get out and try to find the beauty in the world like you do. Of course it must help living in place with such amazing landscapes.

Do you shoot most of your photos in RAW or Jpeg? Do you use HDR? I noticed in the menu that the RX1 doesn't allow HDR shots in RAW.

May 08, 2013 at 10:12 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.48 #6 · p.48 #6 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Sorry Joe and others but I am trying to quickly find out what my expectations for this thread that I started, participated in and spent time giving feedback to others in is something that I want to still participate in.
I have been in this forum ~6 yes and watched it change over the years as the number of posters in the forum have grown a lot. I try to evaluate now and again why I spend time posting in this forum and what I expect to get out of it.
I have appreciated the technical knowledge of some of the long time members on all the different alt lenses, cameras etc. After acquiring a lot of salt lenses myself, that part is less important now although I still enjoy the Suede`s educating posts as well as some others.
On the photography side I have enjoyed times posting and following images in the early times of the Zeiss Z* thread when Samuli and some others would spend time critiquing others shots as well as sharing shooting info etc. When the thread volume increased I stopped and went to Carsten's Zeiss thread and enjoyed the slower volume turn over of the thread and what I saw was everyone posting their best stuff and less everyday "snaps".
Then I got the RX1 early in December and started this image thread hoping for fellow posters who shared my goals of posting fewer images to share the stage equally and keeping the quality up rather than posting every daily snap shot type of thread. And hoped for feedback which helps everyone's level of photography get better and not stay the same.
My question to those who post images here but don't want feedback, what do you get out of posting here and how is than the forum thread just not a glorified extension of flickr where you spam your shots to those who participate in the thread? Also what do you get more out of posting 10 shots instead of just the best 5 of those?
Yes, I could hit the hide button to hide a high volume poster image posts but that still does not help my one image post from getting overwhelmed and usually overlooked, especially if the thread page gets flipped.

Sorry again for the long post here and not trying to offend anyone here but just trying to see what others wishes and aspirations and what they want to get out of the thread. If different, then fine I will maybe start a new thread based on my above objectives and see if others will want to participate or just post my images to the dedicated forums like landscape which have been better suited to my above objectives.

Thanks everyone!

joe88 wrote:
Nice to see new faces on this thread. I enjoy posts by all members here whether its 1 picture or 11 pictures. I think we should let members decide on their own if they want to post one or more than one picture and there should not be a need to police the thread. If someone posts too many shots for one's liking, just ignore and move on.

This being a picture post in the alt "gear" forum, I don't think it is the right place to get critique for our pictures. That is better served in the picture critique
...Show more

May 08, 2013 at 10:52 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.48 #7 · p.48 #7 · RX1(R) Image Thread

+1

May 08, 2013 at 11:31 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.48 #8 · p.48 #8 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thank you Jochen! You are probably far into spring already. It's been very late here this year, and one thing I miss with living so far north is that it's over in no time. You blink and then it's summer...

MovinMan, thank you! You'll surely find something interesting close to home if you go out and really look, but I know that's easier said than done. When you have lived in the same place for a long time you tend to no longer notice details - it's all so familiar. It helps that I'm not born here (we moved to Norway from Sweden in 2004), so there are still places that are new to me.

I do RAW + 10MP JPGs, but everything I post anywhere is processed from RAW in Lightroom. The JPGs are just for making small prints for our photo album, and because on my old'ish computer it's faster to browse JPGs when deciding which photos to keep. I haven't tried HDR, because RX1 has so much DR that I haven't needed it yet.

Wayne, I'm not sure I understand fully what it is you are asking (as you probably have noticed English isn't my primary language), besides that you'd like us to try and keep a high standard and give each other feedback. The first thing that comes to mind though is how do we know what is a snapshot? What I like may be a snapshot to someone else.

May 08, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.48 #9 · p.48 #9 · RX1(R) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you Jochen! You are probably far into spring already. It's been very late here this year, and one thing I miss with living so far north is that it's over in no time. You blink and then it's summer...

Yes spring is here for quite some time already. Sadly I don't get inspired by my surroundings. You're very lucky with yours.

HelenaN wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind though is how do we know what is a snapshot? What I like may be a snapshot to someone else.

Exactly, that's what I also said on the previous page.

BTW, one thing I noticed about posting critique in image threads is that many people just don't seem to appreciate it.

May 08, 2013 at 12:07 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.48 #10 · p.48 #10 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
[

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to "steal" your line. He he.

Jochenb wrote:
BTW, one thing I noticed about posting critique in image threads is that many people just don't seem to appreciate it.

Yes, I have noticed that too.
Btw. Wayne, with "feedback", do you mean constructive criticism or just comments in general?

May 08, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jochenb
• • •
p.48 #11 · p.48 #11 · RX1(R) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Oops, sorry, didn't mean to "steal" your line. He he.

Oh you didn't. It was just to say that I agree with you.

May 08, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.48 #12 · p.48 #12 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:

Exactly with regard to the subjectivity of images. Also my point on the previous page.

Posting image critiques on an image thread like this is fraught with complications and would also likely prevent some fine images being posted to begin with (some folks don't want their images critiqued, particularly just by any Joe Shmoe so would not post).

May 08, 2013 at 12:39 PM
rsolti13
• • • •
p.48 #13 · p.48 #13 · RX1(R) Image Thread

I've been out of it for a while, but getting some time back hopefully to start shooting more. I can't help but comment on the images I have seen with the RX-1...they are fantastic. The B/W tones especially are just beautiful. Helena, Joe, Charles, Jochen, etc....your images forced me to purchase this camera. Can't wait to start shooting

May 08, 2013 at 12:55 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.48 #14 · p.48 #14 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Wayne, thanks for clarifying and I understand where you are coming from and since you started this thread, you have every right to comment and I respect that.

I use my RX1 as a "snap shot" camera because its small and easy to carry around, so I am not sure that I am supposed to stop posting on this thread if I don't use a tripod or don't intend to make an excellent composition?

For instance, I took this picture on a neighborhood Sunday at the park. Its not a "landscape shot" nor a compositional "challenging shot", but it does show off the RX1 capability for high DR and stop motion "sports" work . So do you mean this type of shots should be discouraged? And does it mean that we should only post pictures that merit technical discussion of the RX1 files or does it mean that it both has to be technically challenging and having a best composition before we can post, but then where do we draw the line? I think if we set too many rules, then this would discourage others from sharing. As it is, the RX1 doesn't seem to be as popular in this forum and I believe there was only one post with 11 picture. Again, I use my RX1 because I like the files, full frame, lens combo and use it mostly for pics of friends, family and everyday objects but it looks like I am not supposed to post these type of pics on this thread?

May 08, 2013 at 01:25 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.48 #15 · p.48 #15 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Apologies all for not commenting on some of your pics but I have been clicking the "like" button

Bob, congrats on your RX1.
Helena, excellent shots as always. There seem to be quite a lot of abandoned relic where you are? Interesting shots. As to your question about shooting strangers, I enjoy street photography but after many years, I am still afraid. I have also spoken to some pros (including Magnum photographers), and they also tell me that even after shooting 20-30 years, sometimes they can't get fear out of the equation. This is what I like about the RX1 with its silent shutter, I can quickly take a shot and leave the scene without drawing too much attention.
Ron, excellent set at the train station. Super sharp and contrasty pp, really nice.
Jochen, that financial crisis shot is excellent! Love it!

-----
Sunrise Daytona Beach, FL

May 08, 2013 at 01:48 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.48 #16 · p.48 #16 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Wayne - I understand where you're coming from having posted quite substantially in the Zeiss threads, NEX and OM-D threads. I see big differences among them. All are classified as image threads. The Zeiss and NEX seem to be more in line with getting comments/critiques on the images posted. The comments can be far ranging about the camera, the lens, post processing and even the fine art of the image itself. Some prefer to comment on the SOOC images with little processing, others do more in post.

My point is that I have learned much of what I know about photography today from FM.com by reading, posting, commenting and discussing in many threads on this board. It's what separates FM from many other places that I visit with much less frequency.

So, having just obtained an RX1, I'm hoping to watch, look and listen to all of you, your experiences, likes, dislikes on any and all aspects of the gear but also what we can achieve as photographers using it.

Thanks Wayne.

With that, below is some 'art' while waiting for my delayed flight at the airport yesterday. I like the fact that no one knew I was taking this shot but I wish the camera had an articulating screen.

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/2.0    1/80s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 08, 2013 at 02:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.48 #17 · p.48 #17 · RX1(R) Image Thread

I don't post on this thread but do enjoy the wide variety of pictures being posted. Often times I get just as much enjoyment out of viewing "snapshots" as with technically "perfect" images. I suggest to not get too wrapped up in the type of images being posted nor the quantity. Besides, who really has the right to judge?

May 08, 2013 at 03:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.48 #18 · p.48 #18 · RX1(R) Image Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
I've been out of it for a while, but getting some time back hopefully to start shooting more. I can't help but comment on the images I have seen with the RX-1...they are fantastic. The B/W tones especially are just beautiful. Helena, Joe, Charles, Jochen, etc....your images forced me to purchase this camera. Can't wait to start shooting

Hey Ryan! Wondering where you would pop up again....

May 08, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.48 #19 · p.48 #19 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thanks Joe.
Congrats rsolti!

The rendering of the 35/2 sonnar is just gorgeous IMHO. I've seen people saying it doesn't have 'pop', but I really don't agree.

This is just a backyard snapshot (sorry)

May 08, 2013 at 07:19 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.48 #20 · p.48 #20 · RX1(R) Image Thread

this is a quote from rji2goleez " I have learned much of what I know about photography today from FM.com by reading, posting, commenting and discussing in many threads on this board." I totally agree and I thank Wayne for starting and contributing to this thread. As a real amateur but very enthusiastic, I am so happy to have found this resource.

I hope rjigoleez does not mind my quoting him. joanlvh

May 08, 2013 at 11:53 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password