Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              46      
       48              165       166       end

RX1(R) Image Thread

Dergiman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.47 #1 · p.47 #1 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Just getting to know the cam.

3D @ f2:

Beefore:

May 06, 2013 at 09:24 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.47 #2 · p.47 #2 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jonas, nice and relaxed portrait of your wife/partner! Sharpness in that one looks just right to me. Yes, I'll smoothen the ones I took of my boyfriend's mother before she gets to see them.

Bob, I'll say like the others said to me: Post away! It's great that this thread has really come to life. What an interesting and picturesque light house. I also like the photo of the birdhouse.

bpark42, thanks! Really like the fresh "lightness" in yours.

Philip, thank you for sharing your thoughts about photographing strangers! Good ideas. My problem is that I'm shy and also bad at small talk in general, so just walking up to people like that is hard. What I have done so far is just smile in a friendly way and then ask. So far everyone I have asked has reacted very positively, so I don't know what I'm so worried about.

--

Since they are closed on Sundays I used the opportunity to explore the backyard of a nearby car repair shop. They have some more modern buildings too, but I didn't photograph those.

If I read the text on the door correctly the office is only open for three minutes every morning.

May 06, 2013 at 09:36 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.47 #3 · p.47 #3 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Dergleman - I'm with you, just learning this wonderful beast of a camera
Helena - Love the entire set. Very sharp! Are you using AF or MF?

More from yesterday. I had to try pano mode. I remember it was hit or miss on the NEX-7

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/2.0    1/800s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/11.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35.0 mm f/2.0 lens    35mm    f/4.5    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/16.0    15s    50 ISO    -0.3 EV  

May 06, 2013 at 10:09 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.47 #4 · p.47 #4 · RX1(R) Image Thread

As far as posting a lot of pictures at a time, I have always hoped that people would only post maybe their best 4 or 5 shots a day rather than flood the thread with lots of their own mediocre shots. Less is more, and I hate to see the great images get lost in a sea of the more mundane shots.
Hope that makes sense and I like to see this thread stay at a higher level than the norm here in the alt gear forum.

May 06, 2013 at 10:14 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.47 #5 · p.47 #5 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Great work Bob and Helena!

Forgot to post these a while back - Toronto, Union Station. I believe all have had lens distortion corrected by LR4's RX1 profile.

Sorry Wayne... floodgates open...

Here's the last image SOOC:

BTW, I think the overall quality of images posted in the Alt forum is typically of higher quality than I've seen on the other gear forums...

May 06, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.47 #6 · p.47 #6 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Nice shots Ron, Bob (the last lighthouse is my favorite) and Helena!

Financial crisis by Jochen-B, on Flickr

Edited on May 07, 2013 at 05:40 AM · View previous versions

May 06, 2013 at 06:04 PM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.47 #7 · p.47 #7 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Ron, JochenB - wonderful images that show off the RX1 well.

Here's a few more from the weekend from me.

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/11.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/200s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Bob Israel 2013

DSC-RX1    35mm F2.0 lens    35mm    f/8.0    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 07, 2013 at 01:57 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.47 #8 · p.47 #8 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thank you Bob! AF only so far because I have found it to be very reliable. Not very fast of course and it hunts a bit in low contrast situations, but it's very accurate both for close objects and far away.
Nice nighttime capture of the lighthouse! I also like the composition and lines in #2 in the same post.

Ron, thanks! As always your photos have great clarity, colors and sharpness. My favorites are #7 and 10.

Great atmosphere in that shot Jochen. The colorful balloons are a strong contrast to his slumped posture which signals emptiness.
Glad they have moved on to balloons. When we were there they used glass bottles which I found quite irresponsible.

May 07, 2013 at 07:49 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.47 #9 · p.47 #9 · RX1(R) Image Thread

I found two of these hidden away behind various stuff in the backyard of Trondheim city maintenance.

There's a plaque saying that the sculptures were a gift to the city for the World Cup in Trondheim in 1997. Very disrespectful to the artist that they ended up here among the bushes where no one gets to see them.

Displaced sculpture by Helena Normark, on Flickr

May 07, 2013 at 07:53 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.47 #10 · p.47 #10 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Hey Ron thanks for taking the time to understand the issue of flood posting from my perspective and posting 11 shots at once and then trying to make me look bad by saying you think the level of photography is higher in the alt forum than other photo websites. My point was that when people post less shots( like 5 instead of 11) then:
1) the thread is more balanced between the people who only post a few pictures each time (lower volume output) vs. those who post lots of shots each time(high volume).
2)It seems very arrogant and selfish and not considerate of others to think it is all right to post lots of your images at a time and monopolize the thread.
3) smaller posts get lost in the noise of heavy posters.
4) quality goes down as not all 11 shots are equally great. Ming Thein has written some nice articles about culling your shots down a lot to raise quality and what things he looks for in a great photograph.
5) with high volume people take less time to give detailed or any feedback on each persons shots.
It is funny as some of the high volume posters seem to spend little or no time giving detailed feedback on others shots and instead just say nice shot and post all their 11 shots.
Detailed feedback is something I highly value when I post here in the forum but rarely get. I get more in the dedicated landscape forum than here. Maybe because of previous gear discussions where I have expressed my thoughts, those who did not agree with what I said will never give me a positive feedback comment on a shot I post even though I have given them a positive feedback comment.
6) I do not see a benefit in high volume posting. Seeing a portrait say of the same kid, cat,dog etc. 10 times especially in the same location is not very inspiring. I think it makes sense to post only a few of the best ones only. If you have a lot of images why not post a few of the best and then put a link to your flicker or website page for those who want to see more.

I guess by the silent response most people do not agree with any of my thoughts and that is ok, although it would be nice to hear some different peoples thoughts on the matter.
I would also like to thank all the long time posters in the thread like Helena who have made sure they did not hijack the thread by posting a lot more images than the others.

May 07, 2013 at 09:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.47 #11 · p.47 #11 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Bob, nice set, my favorite is the lighthouse with the city skyline in the background.
Jochen, very interesting subject. Is that guy shooting balloons with those rifles?

Helena, nice find of the displaced sculpture. Maybe someone thought it would look better/ more natural if the cross country skier sculpture was placed amongst the trees.

May 07, 2013 at 09:49 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.47 #12 · p.47 #12 · RX1(R) Image Thread

wayne seltzer wrote:
I guess by the silent response most people do not agree with any of my thoughts and that is ok, although it would be nice to hear some different peoples thoughts on the matter.
I would also like to thank all the long time posters in the thread like Helena who have made sure they did not hijack the thread by posting a lot more images than the others.

I was silent, but I agree with you, I don't enjoy posts with much more than 3-5 shots, especially if many are similar. This is regardless of quality level. Of course, my tolerance for more high-quality shots is higher than for routine stuff, but still. I also try to post critique, but given very little free time, this sometimes fails to happen.

May 07, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.47 #13 · p.47 #13 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thanks Bob, Helena and Wayne.

Wayne: People can shoot that guy's balloons for money, but he doesn't get any "customers" (sad looking with his head down, all balloons intact). That's why I chose that title.
Helena: The glass bottles are still there, just not on this photo.

May 07, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.47 #14 · p.47 #14 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Wayne, I agree with most of what you say BTW.
I don't even upload a lot of photos to my Flickr account, because that way I feel my better shots get lost in all the mediocre ones (not that I want to say my better shots are actually good, but you know what I mean )

However, I don't really mind when people post a lot of photos. It's all so relative. We all see beauty in different things for example. It has nothing to do with arrogance IMHO. Some people just shoot more than others so they have more images to share.

May 07, 2013 at 10:12 AM
rji2goleez
• • • •
p.47 #15 · p.47 #15 · RX1(R) Image Thread

I typically use the FM template for uploading so I can't upload more than five. I know when I get new gear that I'm really excited about, I certainly post more . . . sometimes a couple of times a day. It's usually that initial rush of "OMG, I love this new thing" and then settles down to something more normal. I guess I do agree that there are times when a rather long list of images are posted, it tends to dominate the page in a way that some other posts likely get ignored. If that were to happen constantly, I see it as a problem . . . once in a while doesn't bother me so much but then again, it's difficult to monitor.

May 07, 2013 at 10:21 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.47 #16 · p.47 #16 · RX1(R) Image Thread

wayne seltzer wrote:
Helena, nice find of the displaced sculpture. Maybe someone thought it would look better/ more natural if the cross country skier sculpture was placed amongst the trees.

Unfortunately, it looks better in the photo than in real life. In reality they are stuck behind unused bus "shelters", trailers, various containers, rolls of cables and tons of junk. It's a dead end among some bushes. There's no public path or road nearby, I just happened to find them because I was exploring their back yard for interesting stuff. (I better add that I don't do trespassing - if there's a fence or a sign saying "keep out" then I do.)

Regarding posting: I don't really mind if people post many photos. However, it's harder to comment if there are many similar photos, mostly because I don't have a lot of time for this and if I can't see right away where to start I sometimes skip it completely.

May 07, 2013 at 05:10 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.47 #17 · p.47 #17 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Hi Wayne,

Not trying to make you look bad or anything, but I guess my 'humour' didn't translate well. And I don't necessarily disagree with your points either. The great thing about these forums is everyone has their own opinions and can freely express what they want. I chose to show 11 images.

Thanks

May 07, 2013 at 05:15 PM
turnert
• • • •
p.47 #18 · p.47 #18 · RX1(R) Image Thread

And I'll choose a few more...

ISO 6400:

SE coast of Greenland:

ISO 6400:

ISO 100, f/2.2

Defocus to show bokeh. ISO 6400. Champs Elysees is the street on the right (white cirlces are car headlights, red are taillights, bluish ones are streetlights, etc.):

Somewhere in Paris:

~Ted

May 07, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.47 #19 · p.47 #19 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Ron, I really enjoyed all eleven of your shots, even the last one just showing the ooc version of the tenth.

The thing about an image thread that is viewed by such a diverse and large audience is that one man's trash is bound to be another man's treasure. For instance, I would never suggest folks stop posting cliche landscape, lighthouse and flower shots and instead post conceptually rich, mundane images of the everyday. Editing out very similar images though...that goes without saying.

May 07, 2013 at 07:47 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.47 #20 · p.47 #20 · RX1(R) Image Thread

SE coast of Greenland, how cool! thanks for pics

this is a cross post.

May 08, 2013 at 01:23 AM
       48              165       166       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell