Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              265       266       end

RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Jochenb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Makten wrote:
Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like? And what other 35 mm lens would you choose to make a "better" job in this situation?

It looks somewhat harsh to me, but I like it on the last photo. Could be the scene.
I feel the 35/1.4 ZE/ZF handles difficult situations better.
At mid-distance wide open... the 35/1.4 can also look harsh, but for closeup shots I still think it's king of the hill.

I'm only talking about the bokeh here. The 35/1.4 doesn't have the same "pop" this sonnar seems to have.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

I'm not sure, but maybe the apparent harshness in the first photo is caused by the spotted lights in the background. If I can find the time maybe I'll do a comparison between RX1 and ZE35/1.4, just out of curiosity.

Dec 14, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
It looks somewhat harsh to me, but I like it on the last photo. Could be the scene.
I feel the 35/1.4 ZE/ZF handles difficult situations better.
At mid-distance wide open... the 35/1.4 can also look harsh, but for closeup shots I still think it's king of the hill.

I'm only talking about the bokeh here. The 35/1.4 doesn't have the same "pop" this sonnar seems to have.

In my opinion, harsh bokeh in closeups is a non-issue, while it can be really disturbing at mid distances. And I think the Sonnar looks much smoother than the Distagon there. I really can't understand how you could find the bokeh in that particular image harsh, because I'm sure the Distagon would have been worse towards the corners.

I also have both so I could do an A/B comparison this weekend.

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:29 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Martin, very nice set from the previous page.
Wayne, I like the first shot best. Very nice.
Vern, cute shot of the dog.
Helena, very nice set. I like the 3rd shot best.

Makten wrote:
.... And what other 35 mm lens would you choose to make a "better" job in this situation?

35Lux ASPH v1 probably? But I would say, the bokeh on 35 Sonnar on the RX1 is very smooth. I like it so far.

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Makten, Helena: I could be wrong (since I don't own the RX1), so an A/B comparison would be nice.

Dec 14, 2012 at 02:43 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Cute dog shot Vern! Nice work from everyone else too.

Thanks - I just realized that shot is actually at f/4... ! I like the 3rd shot in your series.

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:11 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Nice examples Helena. Second one looks great.
I don't like the bokeh on the first photo, but the lens does seem to have a character. I like character in a lens.

Somehow, I feel its Bokeh is very good! Looks like this is really a personal thing. No, I don't it is even close to "harsh".

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:43 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

I think Helena analysed what bothers some viewers probably her self, the spotlights in the background are a little disturbing. But to my taste this is not introducing bokeh harshness at all. From what I have seen here and a few other places on the web in fact bokeh quality is one of the best characteristics of this camera - lens combo. Therefor Sony's mission to bring one of the main advantages of full frame image quality in a compact body to the most critical photographers seems to be accomplished. I really like what I have seen so far. Colour, contrast and bokeh as well as dynamic range and noise handling are all top notch. The price tag of the RX1 is steep, but there is nothing so against it in image quality.

Dec 14, 2012 at 04:55 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Hmm I'm now looking at it on my normal monitor at home and I might have exaggerated.
I saw it at work on a much too contrasty grainy screen. I wouldn't call it harsh now, but I still don't like the little lamps in the top right corner, but you can't really blame the lens for that.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:03 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Thank you Joe and Vern!

Jochenb wrote:
Hmm I'm now looking at it on my normal monitor at home and I might have exaggerated.
I saw it at work on a much too contrasty grainy screen. I wouldn't call it harsh now, but I still don't like the little lamps in the top right corner, but you can't really blame the lens for that.

He he. Yes, I agree, those lights are distracting, but I just bent down and snapped it without paying much attention to composition etc.. I posted it anyway since there still aren't that many samples available. Maybe I'll post some landscapes tomorrow. (You'll probably recognize the lonely tree... )

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

I think I agree with Martin - the rendering reminds me of the 28 Cron. For 35mm wide open, at mid distance, the background rendering is quite nice, IMO. In general, it seems to be somewhere between defined, with slight edge OOF speculars and 50 Lux ASPH edgeless gaussian blur.

Being a Canon user I've been browsing early images posted from the new 35/2 IS and so far like what I'm seeing from the RX1's lens more (but might also be the photographers)...

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:34 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

I did the mailbox test this morning… bigger here

gah i just saw my screw up in the upper right… i'm sick, literally and tired.. so i won't bother fixing it for now… my bad. too quick and dirty on the development. This crappy little version looks awful. Click the link

Down the street

I really need to find a good photo site. I'm tired of the mosh mash of Flickr dpreview etc. and all their algorithms ruining my presentation.

I guess it's time to pay for something. Another read for that.

Dec 14, 2012 at 06:42 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

joe88 wrote:
Martin, very nice set from the previous page.
Wayne, I like the first shot best. Very nice.
Vern, cute shot of the dog.
Helena, very nice set. I like the 3rd shot best.

35Lux ASPH v1 probably? But I would say, the bokeh on 35 Sonnar on the RX1 is very smooth. I like it so far.

Thanks Joe!
Nice shots Helena, Vern, Hooligan, Martin.
I think this lens is in between the CY 35/1.4 and the new 35/1.4.
Need to try some harder bokeh scenes, get out the checkered dress shirt or backlit tree branches near the point of focus. I bet the new ZF 35/1.4 has slightly smoother bokeh.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:19 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Courtesy of Wayne in 2011, here are the CY 35/1.4 and ZF 35/2

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1001754/0&year=2011#9514439

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:32 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Stockholms slott by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Strömbron by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

The "noise" in the upper part of the first image is actually artefacts caused by a net hanging infront of the building.

Dec 14, 2012 at 09:57 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

that second one is great!

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
that second one is great!

+1
Though it has nothing to do with RX1.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Beautiful shots Martin!
Love night shots with this camera.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:19 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

Nice! All your RX1 shots are like looking at your old D700 shots. That's a good thing.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · RX1(R/R2) Image Thread

zhangyue wrote:
+1
Though it has nothing to do with RX1.

I think we can all agree it did help, otherwise why would so many be drooling over it.
I'm sure Martin could have captured the shot with a number of different cameras, most of which are DSLR's, and that's what's so cool about this camera.

+2 Great shot!

Dec 15, 2012 at 02:27 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password