Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       29              149       150       end

RX1(R) Image Thread

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · RX1(R) Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
Do you own a D800?

I do. 36MP of image quality is fine, but the AF is slowish (I had a D3 before), the focusing screen is at best mediocre for manual focus in bright light, and I can miss focus by meters in darker situations, and I am someone who was able to nail the 80 Lux-R wide open on a 5D consistently, which many could not. The live view does line skipping, presumably because the processing load to do a full live view with exposure simulation is just too high, and while I can accurately focus via live view
...Show more

carsten none of those reasons really have anything to do 24mp versus 36mp. your're just saying you'd like the D800 to be a better camera not a better imager. i don't get why you would jump at 24mp D800? it would still have all those flaws except it wouldn't show off your lenses weaknesses quite as much. you should just set lightroom (or whatever you use) to zoom in to 66% instead of 100% when you click magnify and it will be like you have the 18mp camera you really wanted (won't help ergonomics any though).

i'm not unhappy with 24mp if it means better low light performance (not sure it actually does at like sizes) since i'd use the camera more in lowlight than for landscapes. i suspect 24mp might have been chosen for the rx-1 to reduce corner smearing and color shift issues that have plagued the NEX-7, or there is always the theory of the exclusiveness deal with nikon for some length of time with the 36mp sensor.

Feb 05, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #2 · RX1(R) Image Thread

I looked at the specs on the RX1 and didn't see enough difference from the RX100 to justify the price spread, BUT if they had put the 36MP in it I would have gone even another $1000.00 over the $2800.00. While still not pocketable The RX1 is small enough to sit comfortably on top of a monopod converted to a hiking stick replacing the G1X I used before the RX100 that sits there now. 35mm is not my favorite FL, but I can always shoot panos to get wider. I did carry my D800E on a tripod, but too much effort in the mountains. Its still used at the seashore though.
Regards
Paul

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:20 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.28 #3 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Are you serious?

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:46 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.28 #4 · RX1(R) Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
carsten none of those reasons really have anything to do 24mp versus 36mp. your're just saying you'd like the D800 to be a better camera not a better imager. i don't get why you would jump at 24mp D800? it would still have all those flaws except it wouldn't show off your lenses weaknesses quite as much. you should just set lightroom (or whatever you use) to zoom in to 66% instead of 100% when you click magnify and it will be like you have the 18mp camera you really wanted (won't help ergonomics any though).

i'm not unhappy with
...Show more

Erm?

I think all or at least most of these would be fixed with a 24MP D800, as long as they actually tune the camera for the 24MP sensor, and don't just rip out one and shove in the other. The resolution is lower which presumably makes the optical viewfinder sufficient for accurate manual focus, like the D600 or D3x, except in mentioned dark situations. AF could be as fast as the D3x or probably faster. In fact the D800 initially focuses quite fast, but then kicks into a refinement stage, probably due to the high resolution, and "refines" for another short time. The line skipping could be removed, there is no 21MP or 24MP which needs that, including the D3x, and most decent lenses are good enough with the D3x.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:37 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.28 #5 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Guys, can you pls. take this discussion to this RX1 discussion thread:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147292

This is the RX1 image thread and I don't want to pollute this thread of images with general camera talk and what you think the RX1 should have been.

Thanks for understanding!

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Paul Gardner
• • •
p.28 #6 · RX1(R) Image Thread

OK Wayne, I really didn't expect this to take off like this.
Regards
Paul

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:07 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.28 #7 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Charles and Jochen, thank you!

Very nice Makten! Hope Stockholm will look like that when we go there in a couple of weeks, but I suspect not.
Charles, I really like the mushrooms and bird in its nest!

I discovered that we do have some "interesting" buildings in Trondheim - not just cozy wooden houses. I think I'll have to start looking upwards more often. It looks strangely curved. I used the lens detection auto correction feature in Lightroom but that only made things worse. Maybe the building really is curved.

Gunnerus library by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:15 PM
charles.K
• • • •
p.28 #8 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thanks h00ligan, Jochen and Helena Jochen, you are right! The bird was not amused, as I was only about 10cm away in Macro mode.
Martin, nice evening capture!
Helena, really nice shot

Shot of a Spanish guitarist from last night

Feb 06, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.28 #9 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Helena, love the colors/contrast!
Charles, that's a lovely portrait.

A few from a quick visit to our german war cemetery:

Feb 06, 2013 at 11:30 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.28 #10 · RX1(R) Image Thread

thanks for all the great images on this thread
a good camera for quick snaps

lomo camera

Nex 7 + Voigt 50 1.1

gladioli

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

philip_pj
• • • •
p.28 #11 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Steve Huff makes the point that the RX1 is a great B&W camera, and thanks to Charles and Jochen for these fine images above.

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:32 AM
charles.K
• • • •
p.28 #12 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jochen and Philip, thank you
Jochen, wow...wonderful set of B&W images!!

From the Alegria restaurant, a shot of my partner, while we were listening to the Spanish guitarist The biggest learning curve with the RX1 is now finding how to make sure the point of intended focus is nailed. A number of shots with the Spanish guitarist had the focus slightly forward, and did not catch the eyes.

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:26 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.28 #13 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Charles, excellent B&W capture of the Spanish guitar player! A nice sharpness and clarity.
Nice shots of your wife too.
Helena, like your wintry landscapes, the barn and personimage is my favorite of that set.
Joan, nice colors in that set!
Jochen, great B&W images in that set! 2nd shot is my favorite. Like the composition of the first shot too.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:20 PM
weekh
• • •
p.28 #14 · RX1(R) Image Thread

One close up shot:

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:29 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.28 #15 · RX1(R) Image Thread

^Nice!

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:34 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.28 #16 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thanks Charles, Jochen and Wayne!

Charles, the "Spanish guitarist" is really nice and the portrait of your wife too.
Great set Jochen with a nice mood and tones! I especially like #2 and 4.

Some more winter photos. This is my favourite time of year for photography, so I try and go for a walk almost every day. In summer there can be weeks when I don't take a single shot...

Round pine tree by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Street lamp posts by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Old barn by Helena Normark, on Flickr

Feb 08, 2013 at 09:53 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.28 #17 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Very nice light in that last one and I like thos minimalistic lamps.

Feb 08, 2013 at 10:43 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.28 #18 · RX1(R) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Some more winter photos. This is my favourite time of year for photography, so I try and go for a walk almost every day. In summer there can be weeks when I don't take a single shot...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8428570795_399bcfceb9_o.jpg
Street lamp posts by Helena Normark, on Flickr

love this one!

and i also think winter is probably the most photogenic time of year (at least if you live someplace that has a winter).

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:57 PM
littlemt

p.28 #19 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Feb 09, 2013 at 04:39 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.28 #20 · RX1(R) Image Thread

The bokeh this camera gives is just unbelievably beautiful! I just hope they won't mess it up with future generations of the camera.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:40 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password